Stutopia

Experienced Wheel Buyers

I've been thinking about changing the stock wheels and getting something in gold/bronze to work with the beautiful blue paint. On my list are Enkei RPF1s and Volk TE37 Sagas. As I've never bought aftermarket wheels before (my old Z had gorgeous RAYS as stock) I just wanted to check with the more experienced wheel buyers that I'm not about to order something that will stick out 6 inches, foul the brakes (maybe even a BBK in future) or rub the arches. I think I've picked conservative sizes, although they're a cosmetic purchase, function is important too. No stance, no stretch.

RPF1 - 18x8.0 - 5x100 - ET45 - ∅ 56mm --- Tyres 225/40/18 - Speedo Error -1.87%, Arch Gap Loss 5.95mm

TE37 - 17x7.5 - 5x100 - ET44 - ∅ 65mm --- Tyres 215/45/17 - SE -0.00%, AGL 0.00mm

TE37 - 18x7.5 - 5x100 - ET48 - ∅ 65mm --- Tyres 215/40/18 - SE -0.62 %, AGL 1.95mm

TE37 - 18x8.0 - 5x100 - ET45 - ∅ 65mm --- Tyres 225/40/18 - SE -1.87%, AGL 5.95mm

If you've got any other similar quality wheels you think I should be considering, please feel free to post up suggestions, but they've got to leave the factory in gold or bronze and they can't be too intricate to clean easily!

PS - am I right in thinking our centre bore is 56.1mm and the studs are M12 x 1.25?

7 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

I've been thinking about changing the stock wheels and getting something in gold/bronze to work with the beautiful blue paint. On my list are Enkei RPF1s and Volk TE37 Sagas. As I've never bought aftermarket wheels before (my old Z had gorgeous RAYS as stock) I just wanted to check with the more experienced wheel buyers that I'm not about to order something that will stick out 6 inches, foul the brakes (maybe even a BBK in future) or rub the arches. I think I've picked conservative sizes, although they're a cosmetic purchase, function is important too. No stance, no stretch.

RPF1 - 18x8.0 - 5x100 - ET45 - ∅ 56mm --- Tyres 225/40/18 - Speedo Error -1.87%, Ride Height Gain 5.95mm, Arch Gap Loss 5.95mm

TE37 - 17x7.5 - 5x100 - ET44 - ∅ 65mm --- Tyres 215/45/17 - SE -0.00%, RHG 0.00mm, AGL 0.00mm

TE37 - 18x7.5 - 5x100 - ET48 - ∅ 65mm --- Tyres 225/40/18 - SE -1.87%, RHG 5.95mm, AGL 5.95mm

TE37 - 18x8.0 - 5x100 - ET45 - ∅ 65mm --- Tyres 225/40/18 - SE -1.87%, RHG 5.95mm, AGL 5.95mm

If you've got any other similar quality wheels you think I should be considering, please feel free to post up suggestions, but they've got to leave the factory in gold or bronze and they can't be too intricate to clean easily!

PS - am I right in thinking our centre bore is 56.1mm and the studs are M12 x 1.25?

Depending on how you want the wheels to sit you may want to look at something more like a 35 mm offset to sit them out in the arch a little more. 

I'd avoid RPF1's if you plan on running a BBK, they are known to have fitment issues. 

As for the SAGA's, the size that would fit best and be closest to your current selection would be 18x8.5 +45 with 225/40/18 tyres, yes there is a possibility of some stretch but that depends on tyres chosen. 

However out of the available sizes in for our cars, I'd only personally look at getting the 17x9 +42 or 18x9.5 +43, all the others will sit in the arch to much.

Also don't expect change from £2K when looking at TE37's

LOL, I see the no modding is going well Stutopia...

Fitment on the listed wheels is conservative so you wont issues, my choice from your listed options would be the 18x8.0 ET45 TE37's.

Studs ands centre are also correct. 

You will need 60deg tapered wheel nuts too, IMO I'd stick to steel as a material. Alunimum/duraluminum/alloy whatever nevers seems like a bright idea to me.

As above, not ideal offsets for reducing the horrible standard sunken look. Also be sure that those widths give you the look you’re after in terms of the spokes eg. Below 9” the RPF1 spokes are more curved whereas on the higher widths they are flat which looks much nicer imo and with the TE37s you won’t get any concavity at those widths.

I’m definitely no expert wheel purchaser but I’m in a similar boat to you. I have a blue BRZ and fancy some gold wheels without compromising the performance. 

I started a thread 

I’m probably looking at cheaper alloys than you but there’s some good info in the thread regarding offsets. I don’t feel the wheel needs to be totally flush but pushing it out a wee bit with a lower offset does help with the aesthetics!

I assume you’re also aware of the FT86 wheel directory. It’s an astonishing catalogue of rims people have put on their FT86/BRZs. It also has a very useful what fits matrix including offsets. 

Thanks everyone for the comments, I’m now more confident about the choices. Thanks also for the suggestions about recess and more aggressive ETs. There’s nothing I can see around ET35 in the wheels I want. I could go wider rim to get more pokey out, but I don’t want to add too much extra rubbery grip at the back.

I had a quick look on willtheyfit, the 18x8s options both stick out an extra 15.7mm, which isn’t much but it’s in the right direction and I can live with recess, it’s not what’s irritating me about the stock rims. At least it will be a bit better and only about £15 a corner more expensive on rubber.

RPF1 - 18x8.0 - ET45 - Tyres 225/40/18 - Outer rim moves 15.7mm outward, inner rim 9.7mm inward

TE37 - 17x7.5 - ET44 - Tyres 215/45/17 - Outer rim moves 10.4mm outward, inner rim 2.4mm inward

TE37 - 18x7.5 - ET48 - Tyres 215/40/18 - Outer rim moves 6.4mm outward, inner rim 6.4mm inward

TE37 - 18x8.0 - ET45 - Tyres 225/40/18 - Outer rim moves 15.7mm outward, inner rim 9.7mm inward

I guess I could always add spacers if it bothered me

***rinses out mouth***

3 hours ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

If you are planning on going through us when buying TE37s, don't forget to ask for a discount code :)@Stutopia https://www.part-box.com/te37saga18-?search=TE37SAGA&description=true

That sounds interesting, I may be going for some TE37 Saga's next year. Is the Discount code a limited time thing or a club lifetime thing?

Aesthetically, out of your listed choices I would go for the 18x8 TE37s, the RPF1s don’t look as good with the curved spokes on the smaller widths to my eye. 17s would be better function-wise though.

2 hours ago, Samwise said:

That sounds interesting, I may be going for some TE37 Saga's next year. Is the Discount code a limited time thing or a club lifetime thing?

As long as you're a forum member, you'll get it :)

2 hours ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

As long as you're a forum member, you'll get it :)

How much you giving Lucaa? Asking for a friend....:D