Nemesis

Advice on modifications

I only have a few days left before I get my GT86 and I'm already counting down the hours

I’m wondering what I should modify first as I’m already planning quite a few things. I’ve read that the first thing I should do is get better tyres which I will do when I’ve gone on a drifting course so I learn how to recover the car if I over cook it as I do want to be able to drive the car the way it was designed to be driven but of course only when safe to do so.

I am thinking of a carbon fibre theme which will hopefully look good with the car being grey which will be a bodykit & inside hydro dipping some of the plastic parts

The first things I am thinking of is a Dinitrol new vehicle rust proofing kit, genuine mudflap set, genuine carbon effect bumper protection plate & a panel filter (recommendations please)

Future modifications would be a Borla unequal length header & a  Magnaflow catback exhaust along with a remap at Tuning Developments so I can get this sound

Also I’m thinking of getting a stainless steel  sports cat or a front pipe with high flow cat & a stainless steel over pipe, rear deffuser, bodykit (don’t know what one yet) rear roof spoiler, lowering springs (recommendations please) strut braces front & rear, bonnet struts, head unit & speakers, different alloys, Valenti light smoked Revo rear lights, Jewel smoked headlights, light smoked bumper light, smoked side marker & I’m sure there will be others I think of & some I might not bother with in the end

Thoughts please

I'd honestly say drive the car stock for a bit, get a feel for it, including the tyres. It gives you a benchmark then. I did go for an exhust and induction kit at the point of ordering the car I admit and I did change the pretty bad stock audio system a month in. The rest though I left for a time so I could ponder what was worth doing and what wasn't. I've had my car 4.5 years and 104K miles. I still haven't fitted any strut braces. I'm just not convinced of the benefit, yet as an example. 

Hydrodipping carbon effect is likely to look cheap, I've seen some 1st hand and it looked crap. However if used for other patterns or styles it can be done well. You could get decent vinyl wrap or actual CF parts if that's your thing and would look better. Also "genuine carbon effect" is a contradiction. Either it's carbon effect or genuine carbon fibre ;) Again I wouldn't bother going down the cheap route on external parts as they will weather badly.

I'm 8 months in and the only thing I've changed is a panel filter and rear lights (hate the originals). Yes, there's a load of stuff out there with it being a great tuner car. But the stock car is bloody brilliant and you can have a whole lot of fun without needing to mess with it. Another vote for keep it standard and see what you feel needs changing later. :)

On a side note - grey with carbon is the look I'm going for. I'm starting with the interior - loads of nice carbon stuff available from Aliexpress - use the mobile app to save further money. :) Looks better than wrap or hydro dipping imho.

I'm going to keep it stock for a while but will be having a good look through Aliexpress to see what they have. When I got home last night I ordered a genuine set of mud flaps from the official toyota ebay store & I dont know what others think of it but I also paid extra for the smart cover as you never know when you might get dent or scratch in the car.

The car is now paid for & I just have to wait until midday Friday for it to be delivered & lucky for me I have 3 days off to get used to it before back to work. One thing I have heard about is the blind spot & was wondering if anyone has fitted small blind spot mirrors as the celica has excellent door mirrors with no blind spot

One of the biggest problems I will have is as its the 2017 version theres not much available at the moment for it bodykit wise & all Fensport have are side skirts, boot spoiler, rear side spoiler & wide arcg kit. Nothing for the front as I would look better with a front lip imho. 

Now I've actually seen & driven the grey 86 I just love the colour as the grey paintwork matches the interior so well & I now realise hydro dipping would be pointless as I like it so much. I will probably put in footwell leds first & paint the calipers but not sure what colour to use (opinions?)

I am an ebay addict & there was a black rear spoiler I saw on ebay starting bid £70 just down the road from me but dont know if it would look right on the new 86. I'm glad I didnt get a spoiler on the car as the new one looks cheap compared to older pro spoiler

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

.....paint the calipers but not sure what colour to use (opinions?)

As I wrote on another thread, on the grey (which I have) I would consider black, silver or gold. Tie this in with the colour choice of wheel. You could potentially go yellow if standing out is your thing, I just prefer subtle.

I have most of those mods already :). Hydrodipped CF TRD aero fins (as the real CF was double the price), Smoked side indicators, rear diffuser bought from aliexpress CF effect even though it was advertised as CF, bonnet struts, mud guards already installed and valenti lights and shark fin antenna, interior changes too. Getting tyres when the stocks tyres have worn out; feels like I have been saying that for ages. 

Although I don't know if most of that will be compatible with the new GT86. 

I have looked for ages at body kits but although yes they look good, I can't see the benefits day to day. My brother has put a bodykit on his 350z and it is a pain having to jack the car up as the Jack won't fit under it so we have to drive it onto wooden planks and then slide it underneath. Plus you have all the pain of getting it fitted properly etc.... but they do look good :P I still have a few favourites bookmarked lol. 

6 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The car is now paid for & I just have to wait until midday Friday for it to be delivered & lucky for me I have 3 days off to get used to it before back to work. One thing I have heard about is the blind spot & was wondering if anyone has fitted small blind spot mirrors as the celica has excellent door mirrors with no blind spot

I guess it partly comes down to seating position but I never had a blind spot in the BRZ, I was able to adjust the mirror so that as soon as the car left the mirror it was in my peripheral vision

6 hours ago, Nemesis said: The car is now paid for & I just have to wait until midday Friday for it to be delivered & lucky for me I have 3 days off to get used to it before back to work. One thing I have heard about is the blind spot & was wondering if anyone has fitted small blind spot mirrors as the celica has excellent door mirrors with no blind spot

I guess it partly comes down to seating position but I never had a blind spot in the BRZ, I was able to adjust the mirror so that as soon as the car left the mirror it was in my peripheral vision

Me neither - I concluded that it's because I'm a short arse so am sat forward enough to get a good view over my shoulder.

This car is designed for those of Japanese proportions clearly (which also explains why I'm too fat for the seats )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read there is a big blind spot but will know for sure when I'm first on the motorway & I do like to sit far back, I will have to have to look more into bodykit as dont want to catch it on speed bumps which I have done from time to time with the celica as some bumps are a lot higher that normal around here I would probably just get a bottom line kit I have a neighbour who does spraying so could get him to paint it for me. I dont know if I will end up lowering it as the ride is much better that the celica which I found very surprising as when I went for the test drive the road outside the dealership was having old tram lines being out & the road replaced which did give me an idea what the car is like on a bad surface but be on the lookout for strut braces as it does improve handling 

I personally do like the alloys but might change them in the future to 5 spoke 18" alloys in gun metal, one of the reasons for getting a grey 86 was if I ever decide on having a respray I want gun metal for the colour. There is so much I dont know about the 86 as all the reviews are done in daylight so I have no idea what the dash looks like in the dark. I will probably change some of the bulbs/leds to blue as like that along with footwell leds when I open the door, probably some leds behind the bumper to  discretely illuminate the grill  

One thing I have no idea about is the infotainment system as its different from manuals I have found online & I cant find a manual for mine so have no idea how to switch the damn thing on. One thing I do want is a good HUD for it as I think they are cool. One thing about me is that I love gadgets & I'm in the process of converting my house into a smart home & already have lights & home cinema controlled by alexa so will want to get her in the car at some point as well

I do think the first mod would have to be tints & then I will need a reversing camera as I wont be able to see out the back at night & dont want a little fubar do I :lol:

I'm ok with seating pose / available space only without helmet, so maybe something true about being made for japanese proportions :). Though it's not so much about my height, but probably leg/torso/hand length ratios. To clear with helmet i need to lower back of seat, then for steering wheel to be close enough i need to move whole seat front .. no ideal position in stock seats for me on track :(

I've had my car 4.5 years and driven 104K miles in it. I've not noticed a blind spot that is different to any other car I've driven really. The dash lighting is orange, though white on the speedo stuff on the newer model. It's easy on the eye. I once tried blue lighting on the dash on an old car I had. It was really harsh on the eye I found. There are loads of options when it comes to wheels but of course as soon as you put wheels on you'll then want to lower it. There are a good number of suspension options that are well tested that will not ruin the ride quality. 

The head unit is a pretty standard Toyota affair. You should get a manual with it when you get the car of course. There's still no reversing camera option, but plenty have fitted an afterkmarket setup to have a reversing camera which is not difficult to to do. 

The chassis is already pretty stiff. I've still yet to be convinced that strut braces and the like are worth fitting. The kouki model has further chassis reinforcements over the zenki model. 

11 hours ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Me neither - I concluded that it's because I'm a short arse so am sat forward enough to get a good view over my shoulder.

This car is designed for those of Japanese proportions clearly (which also explains why I'm too fat for the seats emoji23.png)

9 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I've read there is a big blind spot but will know for sure when I'm first on the motorway & I do like to sit far back,

I had my seat pretty much all the way back and worked well for me

Personally I do think there is a blind spot and I have tried various mirror positions to limit it as much as possible. However as a biker of over 37 years, I instinctively check over my shoulder when changing lanes or overtaking. 

Since I set my mirrors up properly (you shouldn't see any of your own car in your own mirrors when sitting normally) I've not had a blind spot. As stated above, before a car to the left / right has left the mirror, I can see it along side me, or it's far enough back that I can pull in front of it.