Hi all, just wondering if any of you have a portable bird bomb disposer lol. Over the past week the car seems to have developed some kind of bird magnet and is receiving little presents every now and then. It's all good and well at home because I just wash it off ASAP, but was wondering what you do if it happens at a show or if you're out and about away from home. What's the best product to keep in the car for that kind of thing? Previous owner has already royally screwed the paintwork but won't be getting it detailed 'til later in the year, want to avoid further damage. Really appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

46 minutes ago, Mya X Ferron said:

I heard those leave nasty marks in the clear coat :/ are people overreacting?

I wouldn't want to leave it on a hot day the paint is as soft as s!!t

26 minutes ago, Church said:

I advise to park further from trees/bushes. I noticed, statistically it reduces chance of bombing :)

interestingly enough, I don't have a tree over my driveway and yet it's been hit twice in the past week :Y

The problem with bird poo is that it's full of the gritty remains of berries and insects that have previously been eaten but defy digestion. The hard part is getting it off without scrubbing gritty stuff around. The Autoglym wipes are not too bad but I've struggled to use them without some kind of risk. I still use them, but only for stuff that looks like it'll come off easily. The instructions that come with the wipes warn against scrubbing but there's not enough solvent in them to soften anything that has gone very hard.

5 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

The problem with bird poo is that it's full of the gritty remains of berries and insects that have previously been eaten but defy digestion. The hard part is getting it off without scrubbing gritty stuff around. The Autoglym wipes are not too bad but I've struggled to use them without some kind of risk. I still use them, but only for stuff that looks like it'll come off easily. The instructions that come with the wipes warn against scrubbing but there's not enough solvent in them to soften anything that has gone very hard.

That's what I was most curious about. Hmm, last time I used a spray bottle w/ water & meguirs shampoo & wax, let it soften a bit then wiped with a mf towel... really I was looking for a simpler alternative, lol. Will give the wIpes a go though.

I would say that if the poo is recent, then Autoglym wipes are great. Particularly so if it's fresh. But if it's old, better to sort it at home. It's all about keeping on top of it and if you do the Autoglym wipes are very handy indeed. 

I try to keep on top of it as much as possible, I was sort of preemptively wondering what to do if this happened at Japfest xD didn't want to be miles away frorm home with bird poo melting away (what's left) of the clear coat. The previous owner seems to have done that on the bonnet, considering there's a suspiciously bird poo shaped mark where the clear coats' been eaten away... Really trying to limit the amount of extra damage since a proper detail can't be done until September time. Appreciate the advice.

Just buy some quick detailer and use that with a microfiber towel. The best option is to get your car ceramic coated, that way the poo doesn't eat into the clear coat. 

I always carry a microfiber and quick detailer. Spray the bird bomb with the detailer to try and break it up. If it doesn't break up cover with the microfiber and soak it with detailer, this way it allows the detailer to be absorbed and break up the poo. Then hose off or dab but definitely don't wipe as there is usually gritty bits in the poo that will mark the paint

The simplest is to not carry anything, just stop by nearest fuel station and quick wash off poo before it's dried by days outside. In my eyes car is not luxury item, but means of transportation & fun. Wasting too much time on battle one will loose anyway imho is excessive. Scratches/dents will accumulate if one uses car. Better to not burn own nerves on inevitable marks of age/use, just clean at reasonable rate biggest dirt/birds poo/insects/whatever from time to time. Looked upon scratch marks from brush from cleaning ice/snow .. looked at scratch marks behind door handle .. looked at scratched paint from cone on track .. sigh. Car paint by far is not like new .. i still love owning/driving it.

18 hours ago, Deacon said:

I soak some kitchen towel in hot water and put it on the poo for a few minutes. Softens it right up and then seems fairly easy to remove without damage.

That's what I do too, seems the best way

23 hours ago, Church said:

The simplest is to not carry anything, just stop by nearest fuel station and quick wash off poo before it's dried by days outside. In my eyes car is not luxury item, but means of transportation & fun. Wasting too much time on battle one will loose anyway imho is excessive. Scratches/dents will accumulate if one uses car. Better to not burn own nerves on inevitable marks of age/use, just clean at reasonable rate biggest dirt/birds poo/insects/whatever from time to time. Looked upon scratch marks from brush from cleaning ice/snow .. looked at scratch marks behind door handle .. looked at scratched paint from cone on track .. sigh. Car paint by far is not like new .. i still love owning/driving it.

Haha that's all good and well but difficult when parked up at a show like Japfest. Furthermore, the previous owner of our car seems to have taken a that kind of lackadaisical point of view with the paintwork and now it's covered in microscratches, swirls and a couple of marks where bird bombs have eaten away at the paint. It's not really a stress for me to look after the car in this way, it's actually rather theraputic. In fact, it's far more stressful for me to have unnecessary damage that can easily be avoided :P but each to their own.