Lauren

The TSS tyre question!

4 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Well, then get in there, see if you can beat the rest of us on legal tyres. :P

Carrying around extra weight due to the race suit ;)  

Unfair advantage to you! :P 

Talk doesn't produce lap times, get on in there and do it. We have one newcomer who is prepared to have a go and fair play  ( Stuart ) 

And it's very sociable too :) 

I don't think I've actually ever talked up my driving skill. I'm not sure where people have gotten this from. I've had just over an hour of track time in my car :lol:

9 minutes ago, KevinA said:

Talk doesn't produce lap times, get on in there and do it. We have one newcomer who is prepared to have a go and fair play  ( Stuart ) 

And it's very sociable too :) 

Well said, Kev. We also have Mike B competing for his first year. He is on hand controls so he has a harder job of it than the rest of us, but brilliant for him getting stuck in with it I say. :) 

Those that can do.... bring it on. 

The social the day before is my other favourite bit. Always my favourite social weekends of the year. I'll be in the bar for not much after 2pm on Saturday. :P

9 minutes ago, TTR said:

I don't think I've actually ever talked up my driving skill. I'm not sure where people have gotten this from. I've had just over an hour of track time in my car :lol:

I think you might have a little bit. I so want you to put your money where your mouth is and show us all how it's done. Bit of competition eh? :P

Sorry for jumping on this so late, not been on for a long while but looking forward to seeing what you get dude!

Going to go off topic slightly but for all those wanting to give TSS a try please do, don't take what Lauren said too seriously, just because your tyres might not be on the list, does not mean you can't take part in the TSS, it just means you might not be competing directly against Lauren and the others in N1....but who cares, if you've not got much experience, I still think the TSS is a great place to gain experience and personal development.  Don't worry about what others are doing, just see what you can do and if you can improve.  Get a feel of track driving without the worry of others i.e. on proper trackdays.  Yes they can be more value for money but again as you can get more track time but you could be surrounded by a lot more experienced drivers going a million miles per hour which might put you off from trying so I strongly suggest giving TSS a go.  Then if you get into it and you actually want to start competing then you can consider your tyre choices and other supporting mods to help compete with, but until then, please don't be shy and do join in!

Keith I would hope people know banter when they see it! Yep, sure come along. If you're running a non MSA List 1A tyre you won't be in the N1 class, but just go in the empty pro class and see how you get on. If people want to come into the biggest class in the TSS i.e., my class then they can get the right tyres and come down and compete. The bigger the class the better. :)

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Keith I would hope people know banter when they see it! Yep, sure come along. If you're running a non MSA List 1A tyre you won't be in the N1 class, but just go in the empty pro class and see how you get on. If people want to come into the biggest class in the TSS i.e., my class then they can get the right tyres and come down and compete. The bigger the class the better. :)

Obviously I can only speak for myself but it doesn't read like 'banter' to be honest. It makes it sound like the TSS is no fun and is quite off putting imho.

Well this is the problem I guess with the written word. But it was never meant to be more than a bit of banter. The TSS is a lot of fun, that's why we do it of course. I think though this comes from chats with Tay when he was talking a lot about his karting exploits and a bit of banter was had. No harm in that really, all part of the fun. 

Motorsport by definition is competitive, that's the point. Whether you're challenging for a class win, or you simply want to beat your mate or improve your times and technique, the element of competition is always present. That's what makes it different from stuff like track days. 

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

Obviously I can only speak for myself but it doesn't read like 'banter' to be honest. It makes it sound like the TSS is no fun and is quite off putting imho.

I think you would enjoy it and it is relaxed and i have found everybody helpful and encouraging. I was nervous about the first one I did as it was all new to me but soon got into the swing of things.

There is a competive edge and as long as I am safe and enjoying the tracks will carry on. I am about 10.5 seconds off the front runners in class which I am happy with and I was not last in class.

As you know I drive an Auto and have hand controls being paraplegic so I am on the back foot straight away and if it was not enjoyable I would not be doing putting the effort in to do it.

Plus it's a good way of trying out all the modifications you have done to your car that are within the regulations and making adjustments to the car and driving style.

Next round is Croft which was my first sprint lat year and look to improve on time I set and enjoy a great track.

I'm sorry Lauren but I too don't see any banter at all when you are constantly saying (and not just in this post) that people can't compete if you don't have the right tyres, we discussed this at Blyton and I strongly believe you are putting people off by saying that people can't compete without the right tyres etc. as you are making them think they can't take part at all, this shouldn't be the way to advertise the TSS. It should be a simple come along and see what it's all about first, then if they want to really compete, then give them the tyre spiel like we did with Tim who just rocked up on semi's, but since he enjoyed his first round, went and got some listed tyres to continue the season with.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Keethos said:

I'm sorry Lauren but I too don't see any banter at all when you are constantly saying (and not just in this post) that people can't compete if you don't have the right tyres, we discussed this at Blyton and I strongly believe you are putting people off by saying that people can't compete without the right tyres etc. as you are making them think they can't take part at all, this shouldn't be the way to advertise the TSS. It should be a simple come along and see what it's all about first, then if they want to really compete, then give them the tyre spiel like we did with Tim who just rocked up on semi's, but since he enjoyed his first round, went and got some listed tyres to continue the season with.

Keith I am merely stating the rules, which for some mad reason seem to be difficult for some people to grasp. Why that is, I don't honestly know, but the regulations clearly state what tyres you can run. If that's putting people off, I don't get it, because there are all of us who compete who were able to get the right tyres on our cars to make us eligible. If you want to come along and compete with tyres that are not on the list, then you can, no problem with that, but those that do will find themselves in N1 Pro. Then if you want to get more serious you can get the right tyres and come into N1 class. 

I am actually trying to help people by emphasising that you need to use tyres of list 1A if you want to be in the N1 Class. That's me being helpful btw. :P

I know that's what you are trying to do but the way you are writing that doesn't portray it, you get too hooked up on "having the right tyres or you can't compete....end off" which isn't the case and it will put people off TSS, you don't emphasis enough that you can still compete with any type of tyre, just not necessarily in N1.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

I suggested to Adrain if was possible to do a taster day/practice day to try to encourage people to have a go which wasn't competitive in conjunction with Javelin so it was run properly.

I understand where you are coming from Keith as it is a big step going out on track for people and maybe they just get put in class x so it does not bear on championship or regulations as long as they pass safety checks etc.

Just an idea 

We have done that previously Mike, this was three years ago or so, just a practice, shake down event where it was not part of the championship, but that was pre-championship. So it'd be quite hard to get enough numbers to do that I reckon, now the championship has started. I think there's no harm in just signing up and getting put in a class and dipping your toes in the water. There's no pressure after all, people can see how they get on. There's a part of me that thinks it's important for it to be timed, as that is the nature of what you are doing and then, those that can try it can see if they want to come back for more or not, or get into doing the championship. 

It only took one free entry for me to then go and have a go the following year, so I think that's all it takes really. There's nothing stopping anyone just doing a few rounds and seeing how they get on, whatever tyres they have on their car. 

But you keep empahsising the rules Lauren. If you just turn up and get put in pro class but don't have a fitted fire extinguisher and a race suit then the rules say you can't run.

I'm not going to spend the entry and turn up just to be told I can't run.

It's not a matter of grasping the rules - you don't seem to grasp that some people just want to come and have a go for fun but that your constant 'you can't run because you have the wrong tyres' puts people off.

People can enter class x (I know that's supposed to be for non toyota/Lexus) like I said as long as they have the base safety standards and they go through scrutineering.

Then people won't have the expense of plumbed in fire extinguisher etc for example just to see if they like it. 

Seems a way forward to keep everybody happy and won't effect Toyota classes for championship.