Mike

Brake pads - matching front & rear?

I have a feeling this may end up with differing opinions but is it worth having matching front & rear pads?

With my limited understanding, I'm thinking having better pads up front will move the bias forward and make the rear a bit more loose as the car will want to sit on it's nose a bit more which would make trail braking a bit more difficult?

IMO on stock set up, the difference between Street pads is negligible in the real world. With BBK front and rear it is probably more critical, I ran last year with different f to r with no problems.

I agree with Kevin, based on current experience and the discussion I had with an engineer at AP racing, there is no definitive need to match pads on a stock set up.

I run a front BBK and a totally stock rear set up. No issues at all, and the brakes were fantastic at a recent track event.

I tried various different compounds on the back of mine when looking at break kits. Going from ±10% vs stock. It does have an effect also so does so many other variables. With all brakes the fronts get much hotter than the back under hard breaking so the pads are running at different temperatures, usually with the hotter fronts running at a lower friction coefficient. 

When selecting compounds for my front and rear brake kits I measured disc temperature after a track session and use that information to make a better judgment on which pads to use to maintain bias. Not all pad manufacturers will give the information though.

Here is the Cosworth Streetmaster pad compound:

58c1395c48f74_cossystreetmaster.jpg.64f5675da378815890bb4a113e7f4ce3.jpg

Hoon around a B road disc might be a similar temps ~150C. Both pads are ~0.42

Now let imagine at the track the fronts run at 700C but the rears 400C. You can see the friction coefficient would be 0.38 for the front and 0.43 at the back. That's a 12% drop in bias.  

This is obviously a very basic approach, but gives you an idea how a higher temp pad just at the front vs front and rear could actually help maintain brake bias.

31 minutes ago, Ade said:

I tried various different compounds on the back of mine when looking at break kits. Going from ±10% vs stock. It does have an effect also so does so many other variables. With all brakes the fronts get much hotter than the back under hard breaking so the pads are running at different temperatures, usually with the hotter fronts running at a lower friction coefficient. 

When selecting compounds for my front and rear brake kits I measured disc temperature after a track session and use that information to make a better judgment on which pads to use to maintain bias. Not all pad manufacturers will give the information though.

Here is the Cosworth Streetmaster pad compound:

58c1395c48f74_cossystreetmaster.jpg.64f5675da378815890bb4a113e7f4ce3.jpg

Hoon around a B road disc might be a similar temps ~150C. Both pads are ~0.42

Now let imagine at the track the fronts run at 700C but the rears 400C. You can see the friction coefficient would be 0.38 for the front and 0.43 at the back. That's a 12% drop in bias.  

This is obviously a very basic approach, but gives you an idea how a higher temp pad at the front vs rear could actually help maintain brake bias.

Or screw the bias and let it drift rearwards for that mad trailbraking! :D

Good job there are different styles of driving, you see many race drivers taking speed out and settling the car in a straight line and not trail braking.