TTR

TTR's San Remo BRZ

12 hours ago, TTR said:

So managed to eat up absolutely all of my EBC Yellows at Blyton Park today. Go me. 

So the question is, do I go for a better pad or completely solve the problem with a BBK?

And before anyone mentions it, no I don't want to do cool down laps or shorter sessions :lol:

I put new stoptech pads/disks on the rear and it didn't go well for them first track day. You could tell they were melting, changing the colour of the disks and leaving crumbles of carbon in the groove. 

They seem to be working fine now that's 'out their system' though.

I run standard disc but with goodridge hoses, higher boiling point break fluid and Ferodo 2500s pads. This works fine on track and on road and I am hard on brakes as I drive auto. No real brake fade at Blyton doing track day and sprint there and I need a lot of brake feel as I have hand controls. 

Decent fluid will help if fade is an issue. Get some track pads and put them in for trackdays and road biased pads for the rest of the time. Find a cooling solution too. Heat kills pads, so if you can get them cooler it might be cheaper than a BBK.

Because you didn't do a proper cool down lap, you just let them cook. A BBK won't solve anything if you don't look after them correctly, I wasn't try to take the piss yesterday, but coming in straight after a hot lap is a no no.

13 minutes ago, will300 said:

Because you didn't do a proper cool down lap, you just let them cook. A BBK won't solve anything if you don't look after them correctly, I wasn't try to take the piss yesterday, but coming in straight after a hot lap is a no no.

Appreciate the advice/comments. Learning curve in heat management ahead me thinks :lol:

So, after talking to a few peeps I think I've settled on trying the Project Mu HC800 pads and obviously improving my quite frankly dire heat management skills (which shouldn't take a lot, just need to actually do cool down laps :lol:)

Still debating on whether to pull the trigger on a BBK just to be safe to push for extra laps, as well as bling of course :D

I have to say I was really impressed by the BC's on track. They're not great on back roads, but I was happy with their performance at Blyton. Debating whether the change to Monosports/Flex A's/Ohlins is actually worth it. 

Here's a photo of what the pads looked like post Blyton :lol:

IMG_20170529_130852.jpg

IMO if it is mostly track days then BBK will be better than OEM for general heat dispersment, suspension should be a compromise between road and track.

1 hour ago, TTR said:

So, after talking to a few peeps I think I've settled on trying the Project Mu HC800 pads and obviously improving my quite frankly dire heat management skills (which shouldn't take a lot, just need to actually do cool down laps :lol:)

Still debating on whether to pull the trigger on a BBK just to be safe to push for extra laps, as well as bling of course :D

I have to say I was really impressed by the BC's on track. They're not great on back roads, but I was happy with their performance at Blyton. Debating whether the change to Monosports/Flex A's/Ohlins is actually worth it. 

Here's a photo of what the pads looked like post Blyton :lol:

IMG_20170529_130852.jpg

Had chance to have a look at the project mu's today post blyton and they are hardly worn. Although I'm not as hard on the brakes as you, they seem to hold up pretty well.

6 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Had chance to have a look at the project mu's today post blyton and they are hardly worn. Although I'm not as hard on the brakes as you, they seem to hold up pretty well.

You must be soft on the brakes. HC800+ lasted me two trackdays. Switched to clubracers for better wear and fade performance 

1 minute ago, Ade said:

You must be soft on the brakes. HC800+ lasted me two trackdays. Switched to clubracers for better wear and fade performance 

I am very gentle on brakes. Think my stock ones still had about 80% wear left after nearly 4 years and loads of sprints.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the Project Mu's. They squeal like an absolute bastard in gentle road braking. They also seem to generate a huge amount of dust that seems to have eaten though the powder coat on my wheels. They work okay in practice, no problems with feel, though I'm not sure they are that much better if at all than the cheaper Stoptech option. I've also got the issue of a sintered rear pad again on the rear so it squeaks when I'm not on the brakes at 20mph. 

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

I'm not sure I'd recommend the Project Mu's. They squeal like an absolute bastard in gentle road braking. They also seem to generate a huge amount of dust that seems to have eaten though the powder coat on my wheels. They work okay in practice, no problems with feel, though I'm not sure they are that much better if at all than the cheaper Stoptech option. I've also got the issue of a sintered rear pad again on the rear so it squeaks when I'm not on the brakes at 20mph. 

I've got absolutely no squeal but would agree they are quite dusty.

5 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I did warn they squeal like dieing pigs on light braking. 

1 minute ago, Ade said:

I did warn they squeal like dieing pigs on light braking. 

I don't do much of this light braking malarkey ;)

1 minute ago, TTR said:

I don't do much of this light braking malarkey ;)

Only time I got squeal was driving 150miles to Oulton park. When I got there it was like chalk on a blackboard from all four corners.  

2 minutes ago, Ade said:

Only time I got squeal was driving 150miles to Oulton park. When I got there it was like chalk on a blackboard from all four corners.  

Wasn't that on the Clubracers and not the HC800's? 

2 minutes ago, Ade said: Only time I got squeal was driving 150miles to Oulton park. When I got there it was like chalk on a blackboard from all four corners.  

Wasn't that on the Clubracers and not the HC800's? 

No I burned through the hc800 fronts then moved to clubracers for better wear. They are similar compounds so the hc800 is close to being an all out race pad.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

FWIW Carbotech XP8's perform really well for me on the front and wear well, but are likewise very noisy when you're not on the brakes sub-40mph. You can't drive with the windows down, does your head in.

As brake pads are fairly easy to swap I'm thinking of getting a low noise, low dust pad for road use.