GNoodle

First winter, granny shifting everywhere

Hey guys

It's my first winter in the GT86 and this recent cold snap has me granny shifting everywhere...  just tapping the throttle in third seems to send the rears sliding out on roundabouts, it's easy enough to avoid (or not avoid if the road is clear), but I'm surprised I can't get a little more out the car before it gives up.

I'm running the Advan sport it came with, so guess the questions are two fold: How are ppl with either forced induction or primacies still alive :-) & has anyone with the Aero found a better tyre than the advan sport?  It's rated reasonably highly elsewhere, so maybe I just need to suck it up till the dial hits 8degrees :-) 

I'm not a fan of switching to winter tyres as it's normally not cold enough for long enough here.

As long as you dont put too much throttle in on bends it's perfectly fine putting down power in this cold weather and of course changing gear in a turn is asking for trouble. 

I'm supercharged and it does spin a lot more sure but nothing that can't be managed.

You have to meter your throttle inputs. I'm running Yoko V105's on stock sizes and just driving around for work this evening my colleague was surprised by how much the car loses traction out of tight bends and turning right etc at junctions. But, I'm well used to it. Embrace it, I say, it's all easily controlled, finesse and all that. :) 

There are few things that may help to enable pushing a bit more with serious lack of grip.

One is alignment, eg. adding slight toe in for rear, for car to be a bit more self-stabilizing, especially under throttle, and in general do alignment, if it hasn't been done since car been bought (as stock "pass" alignment ranges are .. too broad, and when loosing traction some uneventies may show up more pronounced). When driving in very little grip scenarios, such as with summers during winter, not much to gain from extra camber, as one doesn't get enough side-Gs for it to help much. I'd still dial extra neg. camber at same alignment though, to not have to redo it for second time in summer and get rear-front grip balance more to my liking.

2nd would be in general being better with your driving inputs. Gentler driving inputs upsets car balance/grip less, timely inputs are also important -  if you brake sooner/less, you get by less wheel lock/ABS kicking in, if you countersteer sooner, there is less to correct, as car hasn't gathered enough momentum in big swing. Use all road width in curves (outside/inside-at-apex/outside) for less side-Gs. You can use throttle-off and/or braking to transfer mass & grip to front for less understeer. Higher gearing/lower rpms at same speeds puts less torque at wheels.

You striked out my would be suggestion #1 though, which would be to reconsider & start using proper winter tires (preferably one width step down at that). Or at very least with all-seasons. With proper winter tires one should drive normally in most cases. Pushing less then in dry at summer of course, but without any drama. Extra grip of winter tires should bring back reasonable braking distances, more cornering grip, more grip for acceleration. Of course not good performance summers grip at summer, but reasonable enough to not break cold sweat when driving in winter.

@mike HAHA yea I had to check the tread on mine too when I got home :D

Finesse it's going to be then...  Thanks for the feedback Church, over the recent cold snap, my inputs have definitely become a lot smoother and gentler, and I can feel where the edge is and either stay there or go slightly over... I think I'm just a bit surprised how edge is at such low revs.

BTW, imho it's not as if ours are actually very quick to loose traction. Just that:

1. we are used to/remember/compare to relatively very good traction from summer (i could easily go +20kmh in curves in Twins relative to "normal family cars" on similar tires/in similar weather)
  2. normal hatches that have high probability be driven before these & we might subjectively also compare to:
  • often weight a bit more +
  • + usually have narrower tires per weight pressing more/gripping better per contact patch area (even stock width of 215 might be a bit on wide side for "normal" hatchbacks +
  • + they may have less power/weight (though also other way around, many having forced induction standard, thus having higher torque then ours)
  • most often have FWD .. that not exactly doesn't easily loose traction if having same way summer tires driven in winter, just that one instead doesn't feel wheel spinning interfering much in daily driving, due most often wheelspin not requiring corrective driving inputs for that just straightening car out, letting flooring without minding anything in straight line.

If i really would go as slow as i did back then on my corolla on average, i'm sure that on similar tires it wouldn't differ too much from what i have now. But it's too much fun to drive quicker now, pushing more - so yes! Easy to loose traction [tm] :D

13 hours ago, GNoodle said:

Hey guys

It's my first winter in the GT86 and this recent cold snap has me granny shifting everywhere...  just tapping the throttle in third seems to send the rears sliding out on roundabouts, it's easy enough to avoid (or not avoid if the road is clear), but I'm surprised I can't get a little more out the car before it gives up.

I'm running the Advan sport it came with, so guess the questions are two fold: How are ppl with either forced induction or primacies still alive :-) & has anyone with the Aero found a better tyre than the advan sport?  It's rated reasonably highly elsewhere, so maybe I just need to suck it up till the dial hits 8degrees :-) 

I'm not a fan of switching to winter tyres as it's normally not cold enough for long enough here.

May be a bit obvious, but are the tyres low on tread? Doesn't matter what tyre you have if it's worn out. Less than 3mm is where I draw the line, though I may let them get down to 2mm in Summer.

knightrider: and temps are another issue for summers@winter. At cold temps rubber compound hardens too much to get enough heat into tires when daily driving, unlike for softer-compound winter (or at least all-season) tires. But that just one of many variables/explanations for reducing grip for summer tires.

At the end if winter tires are not officially required it's about two things - climate in country and how safe driver wants to feel when driving in winter. Choice is made harder due UK weather being somewhere on border with relatively warm winters and not much of snow, so i guess both camps won't convince/convert drivers from opposite camp. I can only hope this thread won't turn in yet another flamewar.

My own choice if i'd live @UK & car would be my only daily driven one would probably be getting all-seasons for winter (not for whole year, with proper summer ones in summer) if living more south, and proper winter ones in northern part. I don't want to risk myself, car, others and i don't want ever to get stranded due weather. Even if for just one or two days per year seeing real ice/snow hailstorms, i'm used to rely on car for transportation. For all my driving history i learnt to never skimp on tires & brakes on any car, no matter how sporty it is or isn't. Written off vehicle due crash damage or injuries/fatalities due savings in those areas are simply risks personally i am not willing to make.

Just had a bit of a wobble on the M6, got passed an accident and the road cleared so gave it some in third. Went for fourth at 7k rpm just as I crossed into the outside lane and the offside rear lit up. 

Thank goodness for VSC, saved my bacon because I was NOT expecting that 😂

I'm turbo'd, and most of the roads around here have had a layer of ice for some time, and not even had a slight scare yet.

One of the main reasons I run Vredesteins all year. Nothing better than a summer performance tyre that performs just as well throughout winter.

I ran winter tyres for two years and there still times when it's about 4C and greasy where they are just as bad as my regular tyre. Sometimes there just isn't much grip and there really isn't much you can do about it. The way I see it, you learn a lot about your finesse in such conditions and that is no bad thing. 

You can't really go off temperature alone, drive home tonight I had no issues even though it was 1c. Last night it was 8c but the roads were damp/greasy and I had no grip and was spinning the rears without trying in 1st & 2nd yet same places tonight I couldn't spin the rears at all...

Yes, tonight it was 1C and colder but not as bad as last night when it was 4C but the roads were particularly greasy, that's what did it. Was lighting up the rears all over the place. Though it did provide plenty of entertainment for my colleague I had in the car. :)

It's been brilliant fun this past week. A bit lairy even on the winters but harmless enough.

You're right about yesterday though. Had someone buttered the tarmac?! Was slithering around every roundabout. Was fun enough for me but must have looked like a right knobhead to everyone else ;-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk