Knighty

Adjustable rear control arms

Hi guys, 

The time is nearly upon me to get the Tein coilovers I bought many moons ago installed. 

With these being fitted I would also like to fit some adjustable control arms to the rear, so that I'll be able to sort out that pesky negative camber when the car is lowered. Which brings me to my question. 

Can anyone give me a helping hand to determine the best rear control arms for the money? A part that has been tried and tested and proven to work well? 

There is a huge range available for this car ranging massively in price, and I can't seem to work out what they all have to offer. 

I've been looking into the Japspeed ones today, but the cheap pricing puts me off slightly. 

A nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated! 

Happy belated New year to you all! 
Sam 

I'm a bit stuck in the same position. I wouldn't use Japspeed parts as they are too budget. I love the look of the SPL ones, but the price! The Swave/Summit ones are well used and I don't know of any problems. But I baulk at fitting Taiwanese parts for some reason. There is Cusco which are mid-range IMO, but higher on price than mid-range. 

I really want the SPL ones, but just trying to stomach the price. I'd be interested too in what others say. I've ran offset bushed for three years and once set they are fine. But they are a real pain to setup. Took RRG nearly four hours to adjust them last time as everytime you have to remove the bushes to adjust them. It's a royal pain and being accurate takes a lot of guesswork and trial and error. 

@Lauren - Pop by and take a look at these SPL arms.... They are fantastic quality items :D  It would be great if the exchange rate came back in our favour, however I can't see that realistically happening any time soon.

Thanks

Mike

I have the Cusco arms as I got them at a great price second hand and like the rubber boot that protects the rose joint, been fitted for 6-7K on my car including 2 track days and they make no noise or show any signs of wear.

I bought some Japspeed adjustable drop links and the quality was awful, the rose joints lasted a matter of weeks, I wouldn't trust their LCA's personally. 

I would have gone spl or velox if the Cusco ones hadn't shown up in the classifieds. 

A cheaper option that you could also consider is the whiteline upper camber bushes. These are adjustable on the car and much easier to set up than the superpro ones @Lauren mentioned. They're about £90 for a set iirc.

Maybe its just me but I don't fancy having a rose joints on my LCA and i'm not convinced the SPC will take the abuse I put the car through (without camber changing). So I stuck with stock and live with the 0.5deg camber offset and a mild drop. 

I have the Eibach/SPC arms installed on mine. They are the cheapest option and look like stock so you want them if you want some bling. They work perfectly. Im happy with them :)

25 minutes ago, Varelco said:

I have the Eibach/SPC arms installed on mine. They are the cheapest option and look like stock so you want them if you want some bling. They work perfectly. Im happy with them :)

http://www.japshop.co.uk/acatalog/EB-5-67660K---EIBACH-TOYOTA-GT86-SUBARU-BRZ-REAR-ADJUSTABLE-REAR-LOWER-CONTROL-ARMS-2943.html

Are the ones you have?

As they look a reasonable price and Eibach have always been decent quality in my experience might have to pick some of those up for myself.

Yeah I saw that too, the first generation arms were an awful design, I'm not surprised. These second generation items are alot sturdier, they look identical to the stock arms.

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to the thread. I feel like the s-wave units have a lot of people using them, and the price point seems reasonable. These were the arms I was originally looking at, but wanted to explore other options before committing. Time to find someone to fit them and the coilovers for me!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Probably worth mentioning that I'm sure I remember reading the S-Wave ones have had a revised version released since I got them, making them stronger

Probably worth mentioning that I'm sure I remember reading the S-Wave ones have had a revised version released since I got them, making them stronger

Good to know! Do the s-wave arms have the hole for the headlight level do you know?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Kind of in the same boat as you at the moment @Knighty. But not sure that paying £500 for a pair of LCA's (Can't really see past the SPL ones) is worth the adjustability/getting rid of the camber mismatch, where I could probably better spend it on a track day or on some mods to make the car better to live with.

Well I'll buck the trend, I fitted the Japspeed LCA and they have done 2 seasons of TSS several trackdays and many road miles. All without any problems at all, being happy with them I now have a set on my new 86.

Kind of in the same boat as you at the moment @Knighty. But not sure that paying £500 for a pair of LCA's (Can't really see past the SPL ones) is worth the adjustability/getting rid of the camber mismatch, where I could probably better spend it on a track day or on some mods to make the car better to live with.

I do agree with you, been chatting to Mike at TD about getting the car booked in and he pointed the SPL ones out. They look absolutely amazing, but as you say £500 is just too much to warrant on a small amount of adjustment.

But this makes me wonder. What sort of difference in camber would you have on the rear compared to the front if you were to stick with stock rear arms on say a 35-40mm drop? Anyone have an idea?

Well I'll buck the trend, I fitted the Japspeed LCA and they have done 2 seasons of TSS several trackdays and many road miles. All without any problems at all, being happy with them I now have a set on my new 86.

I thought I remembered you saying you had japspeed arms fitted when we were at Blyton. Good to know I was right.

They are very cheap compared to the rest of the market. I really wonder if there's much difference.

Do the japspeed ones have the holes to attach the headlight adjustment aswell?

2 hours ago, Knighty said:

But this makes me wonder. What sort of difference in camber would you have on the rear compared to the front if you were to stick with stock rear arms on say a 35-40mm drop? Anyone have an idea?

Depends what camber you put up the front :P

Because of my wheel fitment I wanted a couple of degrees on the rear to bring the wheels into the arches, plus I just couldn't handle them being different/not properly done. I viewed LCAs as a must buy with the coilovers.

Not sure about the holes off the top of my head but if that's where the adjuster attaches then they must do because I have the Cusco adjuster fitted...