Paul

Brakes

Went to a company that can supply brakes but also fabricate their own discs and according to them, there isn't really any difference between straight, curved or J hook grooves.

34 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Went to a company that can supply brakes but also fabricate their own discs and according to them, there isn't really any difference between straight, curved or J hook grooves.

Exterior grooves? No probably not, but cooling vane design definitely does have an effect on cooling - curved vanes are more effective than straight.

20 hours ago, Keethos said:

Depends how you view it and in what conditions. According to AP racing the J hooks give improved bite an debris clearance over normal straight or curved vanes and reduces distortion/vibration. They do increase noise though. 

I am needing new pads all round (as the current ones have escaped into dust on my wheels after recent track day) decided to try the performance friction Z pads for the front, but they don't make a matching rear set, given most the braking is done at the front, should I just run OEM/or blue print grade pads at the rear or fit a rival brand performance pads? 

Thread revival!

Need new pads, car is my daily but will be starting track season come March and the old pads are nearing death. Don't want to spend a huge amount on an upgrade (No BBK yet). Been eyeing up the TD Brake package and was wondering if anyone had some proper experience on the EBC Yellowstuff pads. Guess it's between them and the Dixcel ES, which I've heard plenty of good things about! Unless someone can throw another suggestion into the mix?

Also, brake lines....Worth it?

I've found the Stoptechs to be good value and stand up well enough on track. This may depend how heavy you are on brakes though. No real squealing on the road and they do seem to last forever. I'm tempted to get another set when they eventually wear out. 

5 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I've found the Stoptechs to be good value and stand up well enough on track. This may depend how heavy you are on brakes though. No real squealing on the road and they do seem to last forever. I'm tempted to get another set when they eventually wear out. 

From Karting I tend to be pretty hard on the brakes for initial bite, coming off slightly immediately after that and then bleeding them off into the apex. So wouldn't say I'm particularly harsh on them. How much were the Stoptechs front and back?

I got my front set free and just bought the rears last time around (thanks, Kev). But looking about £180 or so for a full set. They look to be around £80 or so for each axle set. 

Liking my performance friction z pads so far, similar in feel to mintex 1144 pads I have ran on previous cars on track (they don't make for gt86 yet) in other words similar to stock when cold but no fade when hot. Think they are also cheaper than anyone elses performance pads too. (Don't make matching rears but suppliers didn't consider this an issue as front pads do most the work).

I had the TD brake kit on my last 86 and there was a noticeable improvement over stock, a much firmer pedal and no brake fade on track although I did put some of that down to my own rapidly improving braking technique. I will be buying the TD kit again.

2 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

I had the TD brake kit on my last 86 and there was a noticeable improvement over stock, a much firmer pedal and no brake fade on track although I did put some of that down to my own rapidly improving braking technique. I will be buying the TD kit again.

Have you tried any other pads since?

1 hour ago, TTR said:

Have you tried any other pads since?

I have another 86 now and I am back on the stock setup which feels very spongy compared to the TD kit. I may just go for the uprated fluid and YS pads and see how I get on with those

Nothing wrong with ebc yellows great for road and track.  Many race series use them as their regulation pad.

They had an issue with the friction material sticking to the mount for a few baches and have been trolled awfully on many forums but that seems to have been resolved.

If your doing trackday regularly your probably better off with ebc blue on the front and yellow on the rear if you go with ebc.

I run yellows all round on my track car (blues weren't out when I ordered them) with no complaints what so ever in terms of stopping power and life span.

9 hours ago, maurice said:

There was a few too many negative reviews of yellow stuffs for my liking. I just fitted a set of Carbotech XP8's to the front, too early to tell anything of their performance yet.

The Carbotechs are amazing, but so is the noise. Had a friend who fitted a set, but ended up buying a set of OEM pads to replace them as he couldn't stand the noise. 

27 minutes ago, Lauren said:

The Carbotechs are amazing, but so is the noise. Had a friend who fitted a set, but ended up buying a set of OEM pads to replace them as he couldn't stand the noise. 

At the moment, they aren't noticeably noisier than OEM pads for me.

11 hours ago, maurice said:

There was a few too many negative reviews of yellow stuffs for my liking. I just fitted a set of Carbotech XP8's to the front, too early to tell anything of their performance yet.

Careful, the friction coefficients vs temperature vary between compounds. Best fit the same front and back otherwise you end up with too much up front in my experience. Its workable though.

12 hours ago, Paul said:

Cheaper consumables long term. And can get matching rears long term. Also red, and shorter lead time. Fitted before TD open day.

Good choice. The big ST40 caliper looks the business too.