Bfranklyn86

Hi from down south

Hi everyone,

I'm Chris, new to this forum. I've spoken to a few people here on the other forums..... so hi again to some!

Ive got the harrop SC kit and an xtreme clutch but no other mods on my gt86. The guys at Abbey did a top job with the install/tune.

I'm at a crossroads - I'm very happy with the car in its current form. If I left it like this I would still love doing my DD in it for a few more years minimum.

But..........wouldn't say no to even more power. Or better brakes. Or wheels. Or tyres. Or free flowing power generating exhaust set up which isn't too loud. Etc. It would all depend on if it's worth the cash (and if I actually have the cash...) 

will300 has kindly suggested a personalised £3k upgrade plan to sort me out if I do want to mod this more - wheels, tyres, tein flex z, stoptech sports break kit and a mid-priced EL manifold. 

but part of me thinks if I'm going to go for it I should 'commit' and do all the above and eventually get an engine build too. Would be more fun than saving for a house deposit like a boring sod and get me places faster (including jail).

Anyway.... I'll be dipping in and out of your threads, and am aiming to get to the odd gt86 meet/track day too.

cheers,

Chris

I felt Will's plan was so cunning that it needed to be put in the limelight.

Im south to the extent that any further and I would be in the channel. Whereabouts are you Kevin?

A mate is giving me a ride in his (supposedly) 450whp STI Impreza tomorrow so I'll see if this inspires me to up things in the 86!

37 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

A mate is giving me a ride in his (supposedly) 450whp STI Impreza tomorrow so I'll see if this inspires me to up things in the 86!

A turbo WRX will feel very different to a SC car, no matter whether the power levels are "similar". The Scooby also won't have weight on it's side.

Hi Chris

I'm on the south coast in Sussex, and, like Kevin, happy to hook up for 86 chat. Agree with Knightryder, having come from an Impreza with similar power, to an S/C GT, the whole experience is very different.

17 hours ago, Subota Boy said:

Hi Chris

I'm on the south coast in Sussex, and, like Kevin, happy to hook up for 86 chat. Agree with Knightryder, having come from an Impreza with similar power, to an S/C GT, the whole experience is very different.

Well, the WRX drive didn't happen unfortunately, going to have to wait a couple of weeks. I'm expecting a very different feel to my SC 86 - not just the power delivery, but the fact he's got an extra ~200hp at the wheels! That's what I'm really interested in - is there any point in having that kind of power on the roads....? Again, I know not directly it's comparable because he has 4x4 and more weight to put the power down safely.

I would be keen to meet up for a drive and coffee (or beer) though. I'm Hampshire based so not too far at all.

If you need 450whp to have fun in your car, the roads you're driving on are too straight!

A friend of mine has a 600hp Nissan GTR, but he can barely pull away from me on twisty roads, partly due to the vast difference is driver skill (he's done no driver training or track time) but also due to how great our cars are on twisty roads.

Because of that last point, forced induction is as far as I'd want to go with an 86, as any more than that I feel like you're losing the idea of the car. I can appreciate people going to extremes with 400+hp, or V8's on these cars, just as I can appreciate the lowrider scene and the Japanese VIP scene, it's all about personal expression. For me though, the 86 is all about handling and being able to thrash the car around all day. I wouldn't want to lose that.

3 hours ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

Well, the WRX drive didn't happen unfortunately, going to have to wait a couple of weeks. I'm expecting a very different feel to my SC 86 - not just the power delivery, but the fact he's got an extra ~200hp at the wheels! That's what I'm really interested in - is there any point in having that kind of power on the roads....? Again, I know not directly it's comparable because he has 4x4 and more weight to put the power down safely.

I would be keen to meet up for a drive and coffee (or beer) though. I'm Hampshire based so not too far at all.

There are very few places in the Sussex, Surrey, Hants area where you can safely express all of that kind of power on a regular basis.  And at my age (over 60) even the pleasure of track driving was beginning to wane.  A built Impreza was no longer for me!  The huge advantage with the GT, as far as i am concerned, is that i can have fun at 30mph before i even get properly off the housing estate.  Just driving down my road creates the first smile.  That is how good this car is, IMHO.  :)   

I really enjoyed it N/A, and I really enjoy it S/C.  But I reckon above about 280 BHP, you do lose the essence of what the GT is all about, as discussed above.  When Julia and I test drove the supercharger option we went with, the test car had OEM brakes and was wearing primacies.  The only upgrade was the exhaust and supercharger.  It was given a thorough workout by both of us, and we were amazed at how well the power delivery matched the standard components.  Julia had resisted going S/C because she liked the car as it was, but the test drive convinced her that the car's character could be maintained.  When we placed our order, it was to get exactly the spec of car we test drove. We have not regretted that decision.

Hopefully you can see from that blurb where our priorities lay. :) 

On 28/09/2016 at 11:28 AM, S18 RSG said:

If you need 450whp to have fun in your car, the roads you're driving on are too straight!

A friend of mine has a 600hp Nissan GTR, but he can barely pull away from me on twisty roads, partly due to the vast difference is driver skill (he's done no driver training or track time) but also due to how great our cars are 

I used to argue with a friend who had a Clio 197 (3 bhp more than me [before the harrop] fatter tyres and brembos) about who would get round a track quicker. I said I thought the gt was actually really quick through the bends - chasis, lsd, rear drive, low centre of gravity.....

Your experience up against the GTR would back that up!

Subota boy, I do get the fun at low speeds idea and ultimately I went for this car because of light weight and handling. I had it over a year NA and had a blast. However, I do think it is underpowered from factory. Should have had 210-220whp IMO to really exploit the great driving characteristics. 

I think you'll find real benefits, from a decat, manifold, exhaust and remap. It makes a big difference to how the car drives. Add decent suspension, wheels and tyres and it's a car that you can really have a lot of fun in. :)

11 hours ago, Lauren said:

I think you'll find real benefits, from a decat, manifold, exhaust and remap. It makes a big difference to how the car drives. Add decent suspension, wheels and tyres and it's a car that you can really have a lot of fun in. :)

Yeh I'm still investigating which way to go with those mods. I'm just saying I've experienced the car at the 170whp it came with from the factory, and the 240whp I've got now - IMO it should have come from the factory with something in between. Maybe a 1.8l supercharged. Or a 2.3l NA.

I saw a picture of the stock 86 making around 170 at the hub on Abbeys dyno (in the Harrop thread), which is where I got my figure from. 

With the mods you suggested, my current wish list (which changes daily) is:

- header: waiting on results from Abbey of the 4-1 ACE. If not great I'll consider the HKS 4-2-1 EL.

- Catback - would like a Q300 (basically something super quiet)

- Tein Flex A

- 17x8 wheels (would love some OZs). Would 17" fit any of the BBKs or does it have to be 18s?

- Brakes - currently researching this.

But before This: plenty of overtime shifts.

Mine made mid 160's on Abbey's dyno before it was mapped first time, that was with no second cat, air filter and exhaust. I highly doubt a stock car would make 170 on their dyno.

After adding a manifold and mapping I'm at mid to high 180's on their dyno.

170 at the hubs is the equivalent of almost 200hp at the flywheel, but it's generally accepted that our cars made no more than around 185hp at the flywheel from the factory, which is closer to 160 at the hubs.

On 26/09/2016 at 8:25 PM, knightryder said:

A turbo WRX will feel very different to a SC car, no matter whether the power levels are "similar". The Scooby also won't have weight on it's side.

My scooby experience happened. He's got a custom gtx2871 on a built motor with around 340 wheel HP.  Very fast.

Its a small turbo (I'm told) and I was really impressed with the power delivery. It felt very linear. Not what I was expecting at all. He didn't want to throw it at any corners though.

When I did throw my 86 at the corners and induced a bit of tail 'wiggle' it was all a bit too much for him! 

On 26/09/2016 at 8:25 PM, knightryder said: A turbo WRX will feel very different to a SC car, no matter whether the power levels are "similar". The Scooby also won't have weight on it's side.

My scooby experience happened. He's got a custom gtx2871 on a built motor with around 340 wheel HP.  Very fast.

Its a small turbo (I'm told) and I was really impressed with the power delivery. It felt very linear. Not what I was expecting at all. He didn't want to throw it at any corners though.

When I did throw my 86 at the corners and induced a bit of tail 'wiggle' it was all a bit too much for him! 

Sounds like he's more of a point and squirt kinda guy.

On 10/1/2016 at 6:52 PM, S18 RSG said:

Mine made mid 160's on Abbey's dyno before it was mapped first time, that was with no second cat, air filter and exhaust. I highly doubt a stock car would make 170 on their dyno.

After adding a manifold and mapping I'm at mid to high 180's on their dyno.

170 at the hubs is the equivalent of almost 200hp at the flywheel, but it's generally accepted that our cars made no more than around 185hp at the flywheel from the factory, which is closer to 160 at the hubs.

We see between 155/170bhp hub from our cars , I have plenty of data from stock cars now. With a good header and tune we are seeing around 180+ bhp hub bhp.