Kodename47

Recall Notice: Power Steering Defect

Just an FYI. Toyota have issued a worldwide recall for Power steering fault on 86/GT86 models from April 2012 to March 2015. They will contact owners accordingly. This looks to be RHD specific as the updates so far appear to be coming from Australia, NZ and TGB,

Toyota has announced a safety recall for certain GT86 models in the UK to correct a potential issue affecting the wiring harness and the electronic control unit in the electric power steering system.
This action is part of a global recall that covers right-hand drive GT86 models manufactured between April 2012 and March 2015.
The number of UK-registered vehicles affected is 4,556. They are among a total of about 4,600 in Europe and 23,400 worldwide.
There are no reports of any accidents, injuries or fatalities linked to this issue.

The issue
The vehicles involved in the recall are fitted with an electric power steering system. Under certain conditions, the electric terminal of the wire harness connected to the steering system’s electronic control unit may slide (against non-conductive debris), due to vibration that occurs when driving, rubbing against the connector’s layer of tin-plating layer. This can result in debris, which may, over time, accumulate and become oxidised.
Due to an improper harness layout on right-hand drive models equipped with a driver’s knee airbag, the harness may interfere with the airbag’s lower panel cover. The driver’s knee may occasionally press against the airbag’s lower cover when getting into or out of the vehicle, causing the cover to press against the steering system’s wire harness. This contact may result in the connector terminal sliding onto the oxidised debris accumulated on electrical insulator, resulting in electrical contact failure. The steering system ECU will then illuminate the EPS warning light and the steering assistance will be disabled.

The recall
Registered vehicle keepers will be contacted by Toyota within the coming weeks by post or telephone and asked to make an appointment to bring their car to their nearest Toyota centre, in accordance with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) code of practice. For all vehicles involved in the recall, the electric power steering ECU and wire harness will be replaced. The work should take about one hour to complete.
If owners require additional information they can contact their local Toyota Centre or the recall helpline on 0800 1388744."

7 minutes ago, daidaiiro said:

So that's 44 in the rest of Europe?

I think he meant that there are 4556 in the UK, 4600 in the rest of europe. So 9156 in total in europe.

1 hour ago, rob275 said:

I think he meant that there are 4556 in the UK, 4600 in the rest of europe. So 9156 in total in europe.

Not popular in Europe is it? Maybe we just better taste in the UK.

Japanese cars have always been more popular in the UK, the rise of grey imports in the 90's helped with that. It's simply the ease of having RHD the same as the Japanese domestic market. 

I have known about the recall for sometime. I will check with Richard when I see him tomorrow. He said there was about a six week wait on parts coming in, when he told me about it. 

3 minutes ago, KevinA said:

I read they change the ECU how will that impact on your current map.

If that's the case then people would need to purchase an ecutek license. I thought it was just a simple loom replacement though?

It could be the power steering ECU rather than the main engine ECU?

Edit: According to the recall notice it's both the power steering ECU and harness that will be replaced.

What I find hard to understand is why the replacement parts are taking so long to get to the UK.

Mine is one of the affected cars, according to TGB. With the best part of 1000 miles to drive during the next five days I don't fancy suffering a power steering loss in the middle of it . .

. . and can you imagine the fun and games if it happened in the middle of a Sprint - which is when your right knee is more likely to come into contact with the air bag panel, I'm thinking . .

3 hours ago, Special K said:

Mine is one of the affected cars, according to TGB. With the best part of 1000 miles to drive during the next five days I don't fancy suffering a power steering loss in the middle of it . .

. . and can you imagine the fun and games if it happened in the middle of a Sprint - which is when your right knee is more likely to come into contact with the air bag panel, I'm thinking . .

I'm not sure it's more likely to happen to you in the next five days. I don't think we know anyone who has ever suffered this issue. I was told the recall was 'minor' and is simply precautionary. I'm on nearly 89K miles and have just driven a 1000 miles to mainland Europe and back. I didn't worry about it. 

33 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I'm not sure it's more likely to happen to you in the next five days. I don't think we know anyone who has ever suffered this issue. I was told the recall was 'minor' and is simply precautionary. I'm on nearly 89K miles and have just driven a 1000 miles to mainland Europe and back. I didn't worry about it. 

The amount of track miles I've done in the past year and a half and the amount of times I've hit my knees, I would have thought I'd have had the issue if anyone was!

I have read one report of a guy in Australia that has an issue and nearly crashed as a result. This was 1+ years ago and reported on FT86club. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82667

However it is being reported that this is a voluntary recall, so not deemed critical.

There are a large number of ECUs in this car, it's the PS ECU.

Just to add to this, My 86 is going in for 2nd year service on Monday, and they told me they've also ordered the wiring harness to do the recall work on the same day. I didn't ask them too, has anyone else had this done yet? 

Getting them to look into the fuel pump chirp too! :rolleyes: