Slightly off the current topic, but how many of you play racing games? And in more depth, which platform and specifically which games?

On the forum I used to run, we had a weekly lap time leaderboard for Forza (I think it was Forza 4 at the time) where we'd all decide on a stock car and post times on a specific track. We also used to set up occasional race evenings on either Forza or LFS or something (for the PC guys anyway).

If there are enough people playing the same games on here, it might be something cool to set up. Creates a bit of regular competition, and for some people who want to record their laps, provides a source of potential improvement for others who aren't quite so quick.

As for myself, I generally play Forza 6 (XB1) or Assetto Corsa (PC), but have most racing games in my collection.

I have always preferred arcade racing like Need for speed compared to Gran turismo and Forza games,but now i'm joint owned with my bro on Xbone i may look at getting new Forza game and maybe the next GT for PS4. But i have heard a lot of cool things about Assetto corsa from the PC community.

It would be cool if we can good amount of numbers,it would also be cool if we can all join up for Battlefield 1 in October.

1 hour ago, S18 RSG said:

Slightly off the current topic, but how many of you play racing games? And in more depth, which platform and specifically which games?

On the forum I used to run, we had a weekly lap time leaderboard for Forza (I think it was Forza 4 at the time) where we'd all decide on a stock car and post times on a specific track. We also used to set up occasional race evenings on either Forza or LFS or something (for the PC guys anyway).

If there are enough people playing the same games on here, it might be something cool to set up. Creates a bit of regular competition, and for some people who want to record their laps, provides a source of potential improvement for others who aren't quite so quick.

As for myself, I generally play Forza 6 (XB1) or Assetto Corsa (PC), but have most racing games in my collection.

I pretty much exclusively play racing games these days on PC, as I've lost the love I used to have for FPS Titles. Big fan of Assetto Corsa, definitely my favourite at the moment! But much like you, I've got most racing games in my steam collection. I'm also very fortunate to work somewhere that has a SimXperience Stage 5 simulator just outside the office :D

I'd definitely be up for some kind of weekly lap time competition ;)

Sim.jpg

I like Assetto Corsa, but I've not put too much time into it. It's better than Forza in terms of physics, but Forza's modification is what keeps me coming back.

Also, Assetto Corsa for me has to be played with a wheel, whereas Forza is still good on controller, so unless I'm really in the mood for setting up my wheel, I usually just give in and go on Forza with the controller. In fact most of my top times are with the controller.

That being said, I've been consistently in the top 50 for worldwide times on Forza, including some top 5 times on the Nurburgring (I held the record in my C class GT86 for about 18 hours, before it got stolen from me), so I don't think it would be particularly fair to limit it to just that game. I'll have a look through my collection tonight and find some games which could work for everyone, and be a little more of an even playing surface.

4 minutes ago, rob275 said:

only one i have is assetto corsa, though ive not played it because no wheel atm :P Cant make my mind up on what one to get

Depends how much you wanna pay tbh. Can't go wrong with a G25/G27, but I wanted something a little more customisable, so I went ahead and spent a little more on a Fanatec Porsche wheel with a H Shifter and inverted pedal box. Would certainly recommend their products, especially now they almost all have Xbox One compatibility (if that's an issue for you of course)

2 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

Depends how much you wanna pay tbh. Can't go wrong with a G25/G27, but I wanted something a little more customisable, so I went ahead and spent a little more on a Fanatec Porsche wheel with a H Shifter and inverted pedal box. Would certainly recommend their products, especially now they almost all have Xbox One compatibility (if that's an issue for you of course)

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals are absolutely top notch. Personally I preferred the G27 wheel base to the Fanatec CSR/911 wheels, but found the stock G27 pedals to be a tad mushy. The Clubsport V2 base that Fanatec do is absolutely awesome! But you'd expect it to be for then price that it is :P

Just now, TTR said:

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals are absolutely top notch. Personally I preferred the G27 wheel base to the Fanatec CSR/911 wheels, but found the stock G27 pedals to be a tad mushy. The Clubsport V2 base that Fanatec do is absolutely awesome! But you'd expect it to be for then price that it is :P

Yeah, if you fully spec the wheel I have now (V2 base, V3 pedals, P1 wheel), it's something like 1500 Euros. Luckily, I bought it when they had some good offers on, so ended up spending about £650, but even so, that's still not exactly cheap. By far the best setup I've used that wasn't a full simulator worth £10,000+ though.

I've got PCars, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally (as well as some others) on PC and Forza 6 on XB1

happy to do some lap time competitions if people want on any system, though probably don't stand a chance on Assetto Corsa

Currently playing DiRT Rally, very good and has built-in leagues that someone could set up and people could join.  I've got Project Cars for the PS4 and Assetto Corsa on the PC (though haven't touched it yet, I'm more of a one game at a time type of person).  Was originally going to get a Fanatec system (used to test various steering wheels at Codies and they were by far the best wheels, didn't really rate the Thrustmaster T500 as I always thought they were just big, bulky and over powering FFB wise) but never got round to getting one and the prices seem to continuously increase.....then I got to a point where I said that I'd rather spend my money on my car rather than a racing wheel that I'd use occasionally.....but when the G29 was a sale at Currys, I thought what the hell, loved the G25 and G27......I was even contemplating getting the G907 for when I eventually get an Xbone....it would have still been cheaper than a Fanatec wheel.....but I didn't bother in the end....plus no idea when I'd get round to buying an Xbone.

I bought a G27 to fix the driving itch before getting the GT86... used it once then had to move and not had the space for a setup since. Chairs on wheels are no good for steering wheel setups. Now I have a rift I really want to try project cars.

Yes, very straightforward. Steps are:

Synch trophies

Back up existing hard drive to an external USB drive (this takes 2-3 hours). If you don't have an external USB drive, backup at least your game saves to a USB stick or cloud storage (but then you'll have to download/reinstall your games)

Install new drive (a doddle)

Download latest version of PS4 OS from Sony's site to a USB stick

Restart PS4 in safe mode.

Choose option 7 to restore from your USB stick

Restore your backup (another 2-3 hours)

On 15/07/2016 at 4:10 PM, Keethos said:

Currently playing DiRT Rally, very good and has built-in leagues that someone could set up and people could join.  I've got Project Cars for the PS4 and Assetto Corsa on the PC (though haven't touched it yet, I'm more of a one game at a time type of person).  Was originally going to get a Fanatec system (used to test various steering wheels at Codies and they were by far the best wheels, didn't really rate the Thrustmaster T500 as I always thought they were just big, bulky and over powering FFB wise) but never got round to getting one and the prices seem to continuously increase.....then I got to a point where I said that I'd rather spend my money on my car rather than a racing wheel that I'd use occasionally.....but when the G29 was a sale at Currys, I thought what the hell, loved the G25 and G27......I was even contemplating getting the G907 for when I eventually get an Xbone....it would have still been cheaper than a Fanatec wheel.....but I didn't bother in the end....plus no idea when I'd get round to buying an Xbone.

Tried Dirt Rally a few days ago, absolutely loved it. Unfortunately I haven't gotten round to trying it with a steering wheel as of yet. Can only imagine it'll be even better!

Well i had a panic moment yesterday,my OCZ ARC 100 SSD(main OS drive) randomly crashed on me while i was browsing the web..so i restarted and then got BTMGR missing. Checked the BIOS and the drive wasn't on the list..annoying moment i acted like a baby and then 5mins later i decided to give PC quick clean and then unplug the SATA cable from the SSD and then plugged it back 10 seconds later and next thing i know it fired up.-_-

1 hour ago, kurosagi01 said:

Well i had a panic moment yesterday,my OCZ ARC 100 SSD(main OS drive) randomly crashed on me while i was browsing the web..so i restarted and then got BTMGR missing. Checked the BIOS and the drive wasn't on the list..annoying moment i acted like a baby and then 5mins later i decided to give PC quick clean and then unplug the SATA cable from the SSD and then plugged it back 10 seconds later and next thing i know it fired up.-_-

Mine used to do that, found out that if I had Samsung SSD Magician installed (I have a Samsung SSD) it wouldn't do it anymore! Might be worth checking if there's any software available for the SSD.

7 hours ago, rob275 said:

Mine used to do that, found out that if I had Samsung SSD Magician installed (I have a Samsung SSD) it wouldn't do it anymore! Might be worth checking if there's any software available for the SSD.

Had quick look at OCZ website while im at work,they have a download/SSD management utility and a firmware update,may give it a go and hopefully improves it.

*EDIT*

Nvidia GTX 1060 is now available to buy/pre-order today and looking at few early reviews it performs nearly as identical as a GTX980 non TI for similar price to the GTX970 when it was released.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_1060_review,13.html

I'm thinking about selling my PC/Steering wheel setup as I'm moving house and don't think i'll have the space to use it! Any place you guys would recommend taking it to in order to sell? Or shall I just do an eBay jobbie?

Probably depends on if you need a quick sale or whether you want a bit more out of it.  Besides CEX and probably even Game now, feel free to post something up on our for sale section with pics etc.

9 minutes ago, Keethos said:

Probably depends on if you need a quick sale or whether you want a bit more out of it.  Besides CEX and probably even Game now, feel free to post something up on our for sale section with pics etc.

Yeah might see if there's any interest on here. CEX and Game are going to give me nowhere near what I'm looking for :rolleyes:, but would be a fairly quick sale like you said!

Ebay is probably your best bet on Peripheral like that and if you're going to sell your PC you're better off selling them individually or as bundle like CPU+ram+motherboard combo and then everything else separate.