That's the thing kurosagi01, I've kinda stuck with just playing consoles at the moment but there are some things that I do want to play on the PC with.....hmmmm

15 minutes ago, Steeps said:

The clearance issue is due to the length of the card, my 7850's are only 23cm long but the 970 according to reviews is 312mm... my case has enough clearance for 312.5mm. I used to carry a Silverstone tj09 to LAN sessions.

Back in the old P4 days (single core!) I used to build shuttle systems with custom heatpipe coolers on graphics cards (limited to single slot) way before they became the norm. Overclocked desktop CPU's and full size graphics cards back then was rare in something the size of a shoebox.

modify the case?? I remember back in the day a lot of cases couldn't fit the big daddy 5970 when that came that.

@Keethos What games are you thinking of playing? You may not even need go extreme on upgrade depending on the games. I play mostly on console myself just because of friends and family.

9 minutes ago, Keethos said:

That's the thing kurosagi01, I've kinda stuck with just playing consoles at the moment but there are some things that I do want to play on the PC with.....hmmmm

If I didn't give up PC gaming a few years back and stick to consoles, then I wouldn't have Ohlins on my car right now. 

I only enjoy PC gaming when I have a monster PC that you can just max everything out and get >30fps.

No real space to modify, the base is 2x 180mm fans for intake and it's not possible to shift the motherboard, I have to hope their measurements are all accurate and that it fits properly. The Gigabyte card was still a preference over other cards as the heatsink fins direct air to the top and bottom of the card rather than along it, which would have been disrupted by the intake fan position. Even reference cooled cards would have been affected by the air coming in.

Inside shot of the case when I first installed this system in it:

005.jpg

14 hours ago, Steeps said:

Well... it arrived and it fits! Nice upgrade, cooler and quieter. Now to stick new heatsinks on to the old cards to fit into other systems to run silently :)

007.jpg

That looks pretty tight holy crap O.o im going to be looking at adding another 250 or 500gb SSD for games and 1-2TB HDD for storage after all mods for the car are done.

Just to add to my setup now:

13198546_10154356768662018_8969446515744

This is now sat in the bedroom after I broke my bedroom/office chair......it's a rather nice replacement....shame it doesn't swivel when you're not racing :D

Workstation:

• Motherboard: X10DRL-I 
  • CPU: 2 Xeon e5-2600 v3 12 Core 
  • Ram: 96GB ECC DDR4
  • Networking: Solarflare dual 10Gb card.
  • Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 4096MB

Gaming PC:

• Motherboard: Asus P67
  • CPU: 1 Sandy Bridge 2600k with Corsair water cooler running at 5Ghz
  • Ram: 8GB 
  • Graphics: EVGA GTX1080 founders edition
  • Oculus rift.

Monitors:

Samsung 4k 60 inch tv

Samsung 4k 32 inch pc display

benq w1070 projector

Oh I forgot my SSDs in the workstation are 120GB Intel normal datacenter and one 800GB read intensive datacentre.

I do a lot of high scale infrastructure. Was testing out bonded dual 10Gb cards. Testing ZFS with deduplication and using the 800GB as a read cache. Testing out Scylladb and for my own stuff http://ticketscale.io I need a high throughput test machine. 

IMG-20150926-WA0002.jpg

2 minutes ago, will300 said:

How you finding the 1080 nascency? I'm struggling to decide which one to purchase lol.

It's running project cars on ultra at 60fps on my 4k tv. Haven't tested with the rift yet.

1 hour ago, rob275 said:

You have more money than sense getting a 1080 at the price they are at the moment!

Especially when you look at the leaked RX 480 benchmarks. A card that's rumoured to be under £200 on release, and benchmarks over an overclocked 980. Two in CF will likely be 90-95% of the performance of a 1080 for £200 less.

Edit - Cancel that, just found a link that suggests that 2 RX480's in Crossfire actually outperforms a single 1080, same price difference.

Anyone been watching E3?? If so any games that catched your interest in,personally there are a lot of potential games for next year but this year these are possibly buy for me:

EA - Battlefield 1 *Preordered*
- Titanfall 2 possible
Bethesda - Dishonored 2 Collectors Edition *Preordered*
Microsoft:
- Xbone Slim/Sleeker
- Gears of War 4

Ubisoft - South Park Fractured Butthole going to preorder this

Sony:
- The Last Guardian *Preordered*

I do have other games on my list but these are main ones they showed in E3 that caught my interest for this year release.

4 minutes ago, kurosagi01 said:

Anyone been watching E3?

I've been keeping up to date with it slowly, but given how much I actually play games these days, I'm not particularly interested in anything aside from Forza Horizon 3 and Battlefield 1. There have been some cool looking games (new Zelda, Mass Effect Andromeda, No Man's Sky and a few others), but I doubt I'll get around to playing them (perhaps with the exception of Mass Effect/No Man's Sky, but that comes down to the depth of the explorable universe on both counts).

Leaked Fury benchmarks were supposedly going to flatten any Nvidia offerings last gen, I've been stung with Crossfire drivers updating and no longer working in games so I don't have any interest in anything AMD have to offer for now. I was probably a bit premature buying a 970 seeing how much of an increase the 1070 has and with a plan to use a rift... but I paid £170 for it so can't complain and it will do for now while VR develops and grows.

22 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

I've been keeping up to date with it slowly, but given how much I actually play games these days, I'm not particularly interested in anything aside from Forza Horizon 3 and Battlefield 1. There have been some cool looking games (new Zelda, Mass Effect Andromeda, No Man's Sky and a few others), but I doubt I'll get around to playing them (perhaps with the exception of Mass Effect/No Man's Sky, but that comes down to the depth of the explorable universe on both counts).

Too bad EA hasn't announced a release date for Mass Effect yet and No man sky getting delayed which is probably because they need optimise the Ps4 version most likely lol. BF1 is a definite buy for me,it has the same feeling as Bad company 2 which is my favourite FPS game. I have to say though the new COD Infinite warfare gameplay footage of the single player looked quite promising though when they showed it for Sony conference. Is Overwatch actually worth picking up Rob??

Thats a bargain Steeps for GTX970,personally if i stuck to playing games on PC i would probably look at getting 1070 myself.

2 hours ago, rob275 said:

I'm likely only picking up BF1, i'm going keen on Overwatch so I don't have time for anything else :) 

I've been wanting to play Overwatch since I stopped playing League of Legends. Seems like a good FPS type substitute. I just hate playing multiplayer games alone, and nobody I know has it 

15 minutes ago, S18 RSG said:

I've been wanting to play Overwatch since I stopped playing League of Legends. Seems like a good FPS type substitute. I just hate playing multiplayer games alone, and nobody I know has it 

Feel free to jump on my Teamspeak one evening to play, I play with a few mates but there's always normally a space on the team. (vootv.ckras.eu)

My steam is http://steamcommunity.com/id/dooneyouweasel if you have steam and my battletag is Voo #2205

It's an ok FPS, though Blizzard need to do some work on it before it can be taken as a serious competitive game. Though I imagine this will be addressed once they release competitive mode. Or I hope that's the case otherwise it's future is pretty bleak.