S18 RSG

Custom Trimmed Steering Wheel

Some of you may have seen I was on the lookout for a spare GT86 wheel when mine goes off for trimming. Just thought I'd post some information here in case others are interested in having similar work done.

I've been in contact with a guy called Jack, at Royal Steering Wheels (www.royalsteeringwheels.com), he has sent me an example of a GT86 wheel he has done in the past (below). I've heard nothing but great things about his work, and the options available are great, as can be seen via his website.

attachment.thumb.JPG.1ffa321581e51b3c803

I will be going for a similar design to above, but slightly different. The specs are:

Toyota GT86 Manual - Thicker (2mm), Black alcantara on sides, Black alcantara Top, Red smooth leather bottom + Red Centre stripe at 12 o'clock, Red stitching

I am taking up their offer of an exchange system, in which they trim a standard GT86 wheel to your spec, send it to you around a week after receiving the order, then you send your original wheel back within 14 days.

The cost for this service differs everytime, but based on a few quotes I received, the general cost will be £110-140, plus £9.99 shipping, plus £100 deposit if using the exchange option (which will be refunded upon them receiving your original wheel).

Considering the prices of some of the aftermarket options, this seems like a great solution for those looking to add a custom touch to their interior without breaking the bank too much. Just thought it might be handy for a few people on here :)

Hmm, looks interesting. Not so much for leather/alcantara trimming that i'm not too much interested in (being rather fine with stock wheel material both touch and looks wise, and even more so - ease of care, and less affected by wear long-term), but that he also did red center line bit. May help gauging wheels position after heavy steering when sliding ..

Even more so nice bit that he offers is exchange system. Might be reasonably priced good option for many.

Please report later on, how this wheel after retrimming is to actually drive/use/touch.

13 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It's probably too late now, but I would go for a 350mm wheel over the stock 360mm. It's far preferable and the slightly smaller size aids agility I feel.

is 1cm really that noticeable?

1 hour ago, smudge said:

Not a fan of leather and alcantara together, but the quality looks good

Got my NRG deep dish wheel being changed from leather to alcantara with purple stitching as we speak ;) 

I don't like leather and alcantara together when they're the same colour, looks weird, but all black will be alcantara and all red will leather, so it won't look that bad imo. 

I wanted an dished wheel initially, a Nardi or similar, but don't see the point in losing the airbag on a street car. Seems silly.

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

It's probably too late now, but I would go for a 350mm wheel over the stock 360mm. It's far preferable and the slightly smaller size aids agility I feel.

There's no aftermarket wheel that I actually like. There are plenty of nice designs, but no way am I spending £300+ on an aftermarket wheel, just to get something slightly smaller.

Plus, if you want the feeling of a smaller wheel for less money, just turn the wheel faster :P

Having used a 350mm wheel for two years now, whenever I drive a car with a stock wheel I really notice it. I've been pretty happy with this one. £225. To me having the slightly smaller, chunkier wheel made more difference than I though it might. 

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_9/4820

TY86-031_2.jpg

I wasn't overly keen on the red either, but in reality, I care little about such things. Function over form really. It sort of matches my red wheels and all that. But I far prefer it over the stock bigger wheel. 

I just like wheels to be round, without various lumps or bumps or the daft flat bottom thing.

Happy enough with the wheel in the 86 although thanks for the link - could do with a leather retrim on my other car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, dannGT said:

love the alcantara wheel but I wonder how the alcantara will look after a few months of sweaty hands holding onto it

Probably no worse than my leather wheel looks. It's got one half of it shiney where i've had my greasy mitts

17 minutes ago, dannGT said:

love the alcantara wheel but I wonder how the alcantara will look after a few months of sweaty hands holding onto it

Looking at reviews of long term clients of Jack, the Alcantara tends to hold up pretty well for around 3 years of hard track use. I don't think it'll wear any noticeable amount over 4 or 5 years of daily use and the occasional track day. 

I should have my wheel in a week or so, so I'll have a good idea of the quality then.

On 24 March 2016 at 9:13 PM, S18 RSG said:

Looking at reviews of long term clients of Jack, the Alcantara tends to hold up pretty well for around 3 years of hard track use. I don't think it'll wear any noticeable amount over 4 or 5 years of daily use and the occasional track day. 

I should have my wheel in a week or so, so I'll have a good idea of the quality then.

has your wheel arrived yet? Be interested to get your thoughts.

On 10 April 2016 at 8:32 PM, dannGT said:

has your wheel arrived yet? Be interested to get your thoughts.

I actually ordered it late, but I've got my tracking number for it now, so it should be with me in the next few days. I'll post up some pictures and a quick review of the wheel when it turns up.

Finally got my wheel back a few days ago, just completely forgot to update this thread.

I took on board some of the advice in this thread, and decided against alcantara/leather combo, and decided against putting too much red on the wheel.

As much as this new design isn't too far away from stock, the change of material is wonderful, I like the little red stripe at the top, and the extra few mm of thickness do wonders too. Some pics:

43E0qgZ.jpg

irLXzU7.jpg

You can probably tell from the pictures, but the stitching is flawless. The material feels really good quality, and I love the design too. The only real downside of this service is turn around time. It was around 2 and a half weeks from ordering to receiving the wheel. It's not so bad if you use the exchange option, but having to wait that amount of time for your only wheel to be returned could be slightly awkward. Overall though, it's a great service at a great price. Would highly recommend.

I'll be fitting the wheel on Saturday, in preparation for Japfest, so I'll see you all there on Sunday.