6 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

I don't know how people time their laps on track days but I found this natty little app for android  http://www.racechrono.com/ I have been trying it out on the road and it seems to work well enough. load your track switch it on and forget about it.

anybody use any better?

You're best of not doing this on trackdays, if they find out you are you can be kicked off. However if you are happy just to review after the fact and keep it hidden then that seems pretty good.

Yes, this is the inherent problem because as soon as you start timing your laps, you tend to be less forgiving when billies get in your way and you feel you are on a good lap. This is why timing is banned on track days. 

I guess if you want to look at it when you get home it's not such an issue, but I know that when I worked for Bookatrack, I would send anyone home instantly who I thought was timing, even if it was their friend on the pit wall. The main issue is, it invalidates the TDO's insurance. 

Maybe come sprinting instead if you want to pit yourself against the clock, rather than fannying around on track days? ;)

If you forget that your not allowed to time on track days..... I use harry's lap timer one of the best out there, it can record video, doubt youll get away with this! or you can get it to work with your go pro, it can hook up to your OBD port for taking telemetry data. I dont use any of those features. I use it for logging. :) Run harry's lap timer chuck it in the door pocket and allow it to do it thing, then you can review the data at any time....

Point taken.

I understand that timing oneself can lead to over exuberance and frustration when being held up but this would be for looking at after the event rather than during, and I do think that I am considerate on these track days, not really wanting to stuff my hard earned in to the scenery or anybody else.

The TSS is very appealing and I am hoping to getting on the last 3 rounds. Unfortunately other commitments will stop me from doing the first 3

I always have my phone running/logging while on a trackday. Most tracks don't allow timing equipment because the insurance doesn't allow it, but in this case its a set of forget thing, I wouldn't be too bothered. The stewards will never know....

1 hour ago, Rich196 said:

If you forget that your not allowed to time on track days..... I use harry's lap timer one of the best out there, it can record video, doubt youll get away with this! or you can get it to work with your go pro, it can hook up to your OBD port for taking telemetry data. I dont use any of those features. I use it for logging. :) Run harry's lap timer chuck it in the door pocket and allow it to do it thing, then you can review the data at any time....

Aim SOLO is popular stateside. I know Lee had one here. Have you tried it?

Are stewards generally okay with you running say torque assuming the device it's running on is sturdily mounted? It's not a lap timer per se, but I guess you could maybe get timing info from it?

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

Are stewards generally okay with you running say torque assuming the device it's running on is sturdily mounted? It's not a lap timer per se, but I guess you could maybe get timing info from it?

like @keelerad does you mean?

44 minutes ago, Rich said:

Most of them don't like suction mounts. I tent to fix my phone tightly inside the middle storage tray plugged into the lighter for charging.

Yes you can get GPS and acceleration data from it, but I never bother. The racechrono looks good though.

I've only been asked once and I said its just to monitor temperatures after a session so I can see if anything is getting a bit hot/dangerous.

Suction mounts are ok if they are also tethered, for example if you have a dash cam, you can tether it to the rear view mirror as an added precaution so it doesn't smack you in the head and knock you out resulting in you flying through a cornfield and in to a donkey.

36 minutes ago, rob275 said:

Suction mounts are ok if they are also tethered, for example if you have a dash cam, you can tether it to the rear view mirror as an added precaution so it doesn't smack you in the head and knock you out resulting in you flying through a cornfield and in to a donkey.

If I ever come into power, tethering suction mounted equipment will be the first rule I will change.

The more people I see flying off tracks into cornfields and hitting donkeys, I can only assume the better my life will become (providing life is a cartoon, and therefore the driver and his/her car remains undamaged of course)

56 minutes ago, GT86Owner said:

Most of them don't like suction mounts. I tent to fix my phone tightly inside the middle storage tray plugged into the lighter for charging.

Yes you can get GPS and acceleration data from it, but I never bother. The racechrono looks good though.

I've only been asked once and I said its just to monitor temperatures after a session so I can see if anything is getting a bit hot/dangerous.

I'm not going to be running a suction mount. I have a work in progress DIY mounting that hopefully will work out; it'll be bolted to the fascia behind the trim.

No, if I come into power you can tether a donkey to your car. Currently you are required to tether your suction mounted equipment to a donkey.

So I'm supposed to suck a.....

I've suddenly gone right off the idea of track days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk