charged

Passenger window fault

Hi all, 

My passenger window has an intermittent fault.  Last Friday I opened the window using the drivers side switch and the window stuck half way down.  I couldn't get it to move from the drivers side switch of from the passenger side.  I booked the car in with a local Toyota dealership and sods law, on the way there the window started working again but only on the passenger switch.   I described the issue to the dealership and the carried out some investigation and a 'full window re-set' whilst I got used to the lack of power from an Aygo courtesy car.  I picked the car up a day later and the window worked until Tuesday afternoon when it would not go down.  I have spoken to the service manager at the dealership and he is baffled as to what the issue is although we both concluded it has both times it has occurred it has been a frosty day. 

I was wondering if the following has occurred to anyone here?

Also, I didn't enjoy driving the Aygo, am I within my rites to only settle with a GT86 courtesy car?

Thanks

Ollie

To address the courtesy car issue first, I'm afraid it's very much a "get what you're given". Toyota can't afford to have a fleet of GT86 courtesy cars ready for people, if you want that kind of service buy a BMW (my missus took her 1 series in for a service and both times she got a 1 series back, people who take in 3-series get 3 series so on and so forth).

There's a relatively simple button combo that resets the windows, the ones on the GT86 are prone to getting stuck on frosty mornings, you're far from the only person to encounter this problem. :)

Someone will probably be along in a minute to tell you what to do, although it may be quicker to use the search function on this forum as I'm sure it's on here somewhere.

Sorted it! ^ Thanks.  

once things have thawed out enough you can reset the mechanism by holding down both window switches on the drivers side for a good 10 secs (making sure the child window lock isn't on) and then holding them up for a good 10 secs and you should find everything gets reset and starts to work again properly.

I'm surprised the dealership didn't know about this trick. 

I tend to get given a RAV4, but if not available they will give me a yaris. Occasionally been given an Auris also. I didn't get one this time, but that said I don't blame them, I did kind of lump them with a broken car last minute, and although an inconvenience to me, it's not their fault.

1 hour ago, Tareim said:

poor you Toyota guys, I got a Subaru XV as a courtesy car when mine was in for repairs, 4 wheel driver boxer, sounded quite nice surprisingly

You poor Subaru owner. I've had my dealer's GT86 demo car previously. That's two TRDS's and a stock one. Do I win? :P

26 minutes ago, Lauren said:

You poor Subaru owner. I've had my dealer's GT86 demo car previously. That's two TRDS's and a stock one. Do I win? :P

no, you're disqualified :lol:

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 2:03 PM, charged said:

Sorted it! ^ Thanks.  

once things have thawed out enough you can reset the mechanism by holding down both window switches on the drivers side for a good 10 secs (making sure the child window lock isn't on) and then holding them up for a good 10 secs and you should find everything gets reset and starts to work again properly.

I'm surprised the dealership didn't know about this trick. 

Rather than starting a new topic I found this one in the archives! I think I have the issue described. My window switches flash when I try to use the passenger switch, but the window won't move. Interestingly the little 'down/up' when opening the door still works.

Will try the reset after work.

If this "but on way to" "started to work" is related with cold weather, then it might be due these frameless windows slightly freezing in, and overly sensitive sensor that is there to stop lawsuits of heads pressed in or chopped off :D , hangs controller.

By chance when this happened - didn't switches of rising-lowering windows flickered? Then that is very probable the case.

Two things: 1) door window controller reset. No need for 10sec, imho 3-5 should be sufficient. First lower down fully keeping it pressed even after it is fully down for few sec, then rise back, again keeping it up 3-5 sec after it's already fully up. It may not work, if there is something frozen in.. some longer warming up (especially if car is with open window and it's very cold) might be needed. But also possible that it would go up without any warming up/thawing, as i didn't tried longer to keep it pressed longer when this had happened to me, back then drove to dealership with window down .. and dealership's tech with smug smirk on face "fixed" it with "reset" described above :). (IIRC one needs to use passenger switch for passenger door's window though). If window switches don't flicker anymore, reset is done successfully.

2) some rubber-care, eg. mentioned gummi-pflege, to prevent window freezing to rubber seals. After using it, window never frozen to me that much to need it reset. But even if i'll need reset, now i know how :)

This reset trick may work for other cars with frameless windows too. At very least friend of mine with legacy outback knew about it. But IIRC it may work also on non-Subaru cars with such door windows.

5 hours ago, McDude said:

Rather than starting a new topic I found this one in the archives! I think I have the issue described. My window switches flash when I try to use the passenger switch, but the window won't move. Interestingly the little 'down/up' when opening the door still works.

Will try the reset after work.

I had this happen to me this morning. The window lights were flashing and I couldn't move the passenger window by the switch on the driver's side. I drove to work with it flashing, but of course when I got to lock my car my driver's side window won't go fully home when I get out the car and shut the door. I operated hte passenger window from the passenger side switch and moved the window up and down fine. But I could only reset the windows when I could operate the passenger window from the driver's side switch. After about five minutes sitting in the car park, I was able to get it to move. Hold down both buttons and keep them down for around ten seconds (you could probably do it less, but why rush?) and then pull them fully up and hold. This will stop the flashing. 

It's a bit of a pain as this happens pretty much everytime there is a heavy frost. Yesterday I had the same but I was able to reset just the driver's window which seemed to sort it. 

Hmm, i wonder if this is somewhere in manual aswell. If not, it should be, as issue is one which many may experience. And first experiencing this it really may seem like it's broken, thus redundant dealership visit that might have been skipped if known about prior that.

1 hour ago, Church said:

Hmm, i wonder if this is somewhere in manual aswell. If not, it should be, as issue is one which many may experience. And first experiencing this it really may seem like it's broken, thus redundant dealership visit that might have been skipped if known about prior that.

It's all in the manual, but you have to actually read it. That helps I find. :P

Edit: Though now I've looked at the manual, it does describe how to sort it, but not particularly well! 

Had this as well yesterday, manual jobby for sure. Although, it seems as though the reset instructions in the manual don't work unless it decides it's warm enough (I think?) as it didn't work the 1st couple of times I tried but reset after letting the car warm up for a few mins. 

Mine just sorted themselves out when I returned after work. I didn't need to do any resets, they just returned to normal. Sounds like the module needs to latch before you can reset i.e. prolonged key off to allow full power down.

I'm not sure I'd use vaseline and it is a bit messy, but some sort of rubber care sounds like a good preventative measure.

Vaseline is not ideal. Silicone spray is better and a lot less messy. But you will encounter an occasion when your window sticks whatever you do really. It's just inevitable.

Water? In cold weather? Just don't.

If water is not warm enough it will freeze right away adding extra ice layer. If it IS hot, there is big chance for your glass to shatter in cold weather if splashed upon with hot water.

In the sort of temperatures we have it's not a problem. At -2C or thereabouts you can put luke warm water on the window and it won't refreeze, but it's also not hot enough to crack the glass.

Yeah if it's mega cold it'll be a problem, but the UK doesn't generally have that issue.

I have had occasional problems with the windows not going up properly so good to hear how to do the reset.

I wouldnt put vaseline on though because it is petroleum based and damages the rubber.

I have bought some Gummi Pflege Stift because it is specifically designed for door/window seals and gets good reviews. Havent got round to trying it yet but have at least found my bottle at last so its on the list of things to do.