smudge

RWYB Santa Pod - Sunday 28th Feb 2016

10 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Helmets are required for any vehicle doing 110mph or faster at the finish line if memory serves me correctly , you'll need your driving licence to sign on as well

Seems a bit silly to me, being told you should have worn a helmet after you've done a run lol

I guess they expect you to have a rough idea how quick your car is going to run  ,  I would expect a stock car to run around the 14.5 to 15 sec quarter , depending on conditions , so around 95ish mph at the finish so helmets shouldn't be compulsory , at least for any n/a cars

I think a tuned n/a could hit 100mph with the right launch, I hit about 93mph in my 1/4 test and that was without a proper launch just let off the brake and then floored the accelerator so could always be improved

38 minutes ago, Tareim said:

I think a tuned n/a could hit 100mph with the right launch, I hit about 93mph in my 1/4 test and that was without a proper launch just let off the brake and then floored the accelerator so could always be improved

Automatic is slightly slower as well isn't it?

33 minutes ago, smudge said:

No games on the 28th Feb, everyone plays on the Saturday by the looks of it

You've got Arsenal

That's why it'll be Sunday. They've not been moved for TV yet and our game against Arsenal is usually a 4pm on a Sunday

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's why it'll be Sunday. They've not been moved for TV yet and our game against Arsenal is usually a 4pm on a Sunday

No one cares about United or Arsenal anymore, it won't be a premium game ;) 

7 hours ago, smudge said:

Does that mean you're coming to try it out? ;) 

No chance I'm afraid. Not interested in straightline junkie stuff and I hate Santa Pod as it's a terrible venue, overpriced with rubbish facilities. 

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎20‎:‎27‎:‎39, Lauren said:

No chance I'm afraid. Not interested in straightline junkie stuff and I hate Santa Pod as it's a terrible venue, overpriced with rubbish facilities. 

Boooooooo

The RWYB days are a bargain considering you get as much action as you want

2 hours ago, Deacon said:

Can you pay for individual runs rather than the whole day?

Not that I know of. Plus why would you want to? :huh:

£35 isn't a lot for entry and all the runs you want. Whether that be 1 run or 100 runs, it's up to you

13 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Just asking as Gti international used to do individual runs or you could pay for the whole day. Individual runs were about £5 each so for people only wanting to do a couple it'd be a lot cheaper.

If you're worried about £20 then I question many of your judgements :lol:

2 minutes ago, Deacon said:

It's not a case of worried about it more why waste it? A couple of times down the strip is plenty for me after that it's pretty dull to be honest.

Couple of times? :wacko: surely you want to try and improve your time over the day?

6 minutes ago, smudge said:

Couple of times? :wacko: surely you want to try and improve your time over the day?

Not really and not considering the strain that running at the pod puts on drivetrain components. I'm just after a bench mark figure to see how it compares to the last car I ran down the strip.

It'll all be about how well you set off and changing gears at the right time as quickly as possible etc so I can see there's ways to improve....but why....no idea, it's not something I'd want to do all day but would give it a go as a laugh.

As for Nascar, I wouldn't say this was like it, I don't follow Nascar but I can appreciate the finer details of racing around in a circle, the speeds, slip streaming, the rubbing (oooeeer) etc....ok I admit, not the most entertaining to watch but I'm sure it's a hell of an experience.

OK, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the majority of you haven't been to Santa Pod down the strip before? It's much more than just "going straight"

There's the build up driving towards the lights, checking out your opponent and then having to light up the 2 amber lights to show that you're in line. All this takes a good minute or so and really builds the tension

Once you're both in place, it's thinking "do I hold my revs and dump the clutch, just rev when the light goes green or try to ride the clutch a little for better traction?" - there are so many techniques and ways to get the best start

Then before you know it you're hurtling down the straight towards the bridge, trying to max every rev and make every gear change as smooth and quick as possible whilst keeping an eye on the guy next to you, assuming he hasn't f*cked off because he's running some silly power of course :lol:

If you've never done it before, you won't understand the addiction. So stop moaning and get your arse on the strip :P