Willtl

GT86/BRZ forum split

GT86/BRZ forum split  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you have?

• GT86
    • BRZ

For the few of you who may remember me posting several months back, I still have a BRZ on order with a current "date at dealer" of 29th November (so if it turns up on that date, probably be early December before I take delivery as I need the dealer to fit the Side fin blades and reversing sensor). One thing I am curious about is why so many owners have GT86s rather than BRZs. From my experience, I can see waiting 5 months for a new car a bit of a turn off so maybe that is one of the reasons why most of you seem to have GT86s.

So as well as the poll, maybe you could add a little on what made you chose a GT86, or vice versa if you are one of the superior BRZ master race owners. ;)

Edited by Willtl

subaru wouldn't budge on price and absolutely slaughtered toyota with discount :)

Interesting, I wonder if things have changed? I managed to get around 8% off list price, could I have got much more if I'd gone the GT86 route?

Owned Subarus before and have a good relationship with the dealer , there was one in stock when I was ready to buy , price didn't  bother me ,  so the BRZ was an obvious choice , thinking back I never considered the Toyota  , besides the Subaru's got a Z in it's name so complements my Kawasaki Z , just a 240z to go and my collection will be complete

I'm a big fan of Toyota's past (Supras, ST202 and earlier Celicas) and I'd rather have a Toyota than a Subaru.

The aero kit.

I prefer the front end of the 86 (the main exterior difference), the bumper itself and the placement of the DRLs

Edited by Ztox

Interesting, I wonder if things have changed? I managed to get around 8% off list price, could I have got much more if I'd gone the GT86 route?

ya i managed to get more off than that but i knew the dealer needed to sell one more to meet their target so i had great fun playing games with them, it just depends on the dealer really

I would have been very happy with either, but like most people I have a number of local Toyota dealers to chose from but none for Subaru who dumped all their smaller dealers popular with enthusiasts some years ago in favour of larger more 'corporate' ones with often poorer reputations, and the continuing low Scooby UK sales are the inevitable result. So I suspect the answer to the OP will mainly be found in the very much larger Toyota dealer network, helped along on here by the added bonus of Richard and RRG Macc.

Why would anyone opt for a BRZ when it's more expensive for the same car?

But it isn't. The Lux model of the BRZ is £23,995 OTR. According to Toyota's website, the starting price for the non primo is £25K. If you opt for the Primo it is £22,495, same price as the SE BRZ. Maybe the prices have changed since you bought yours, but I would say to get a similar spec'd GT86 as the BRZ Lux I'm buying would cost several k more.

Edited by Willtl

I brought my 86 when it was first release so no real discounts at all (though I did get a lil due to buying another car literally a couple of months before hand).  Subaru were saying 9 months for a BRZ so didn't bother looking any further, plus preferred the look of the 86.

When we were trying to decide between the two (as we already owned Subaru and Toyota cars) we took a Toyota out for a test drive, straight to our nearest Subaru dealer, and drove the GT and BRZ back to back over the same route.  Even took the salesman out in the GT after.  The ride seemed to suit us better in the Toyota, and we preferred the front end of the Toyota also. I could not get on with the black plastic "gumshield" on the BRZ.  Also preferred the black dash to the silver (now it is black on the BRZ as well), as for sounds, the head unit was poor in comparison on the Subaru as well.  

Other than that they were very similar.  We have owned sporty Subarus now for fifteen years, and my heart really wanted to prefer the BRZ, but as the Toyota is mostly Subaru parts anyway, we felt we were not straying far from the brand.

Picture139_zps4135770a.jpg

Noticed recently that even the Toyota emblem is made by Subaru.

DSC05891_zpsaxngw72u.jpg

Edited by Subota Boy

When I bought mine I could get a big discount on the 86 and it had a 5 year warrenty whereas the brz only had 3. The servicing prices for the brz are also higher and there aren't many subaru garages around. Added to this was the fact that I far prefer the 86 front rather than the brz's 'tache! The GT86 is also the spiritual successor to the AE86 which, again, thr brz doesn't have.

When I bought mine I could get a big discount on the 86 and it had a 5 year warrenty whereas the brz only had 3. The servicing prices for the brz are also higher and there aren't many subaru garages around. Added to this was the fact that I far prefer the 86 front rather than the brz's 'tache! The GT86 is also the spiritual successor to the AE86 which, again, thr brz doesn't have.

Surely the BRZ is the spiritual successor and the GT86 is a re-badged spiritual successor?

Surely the BRZ is the spiritual successor and the GT86 is a re-badged spiritual successor?

Not with you? The AE86 was a Toyota and so is the GT86 (even if built in the subaru factory).

as for sounds, the head unit was poor in comparison on the Subaru as well.

That is definitely going, unless Subaru surprise me and have something different coming. I can't believe that manufacturers are selling cars in 2015 that don't have Bluetooth and DAB, may as well just put a cassette player in and be done. Fortunately you can get a nice touchscreen headset with DAB and Bluetooth for around £300.

Not with you? The AE86 was a Toyota and so is the GT86 (even if built in the subaru factory).

I know, but it is Subaru who actually make the so called spiritual successor, the Toyota just wears the badge.