Willtl

GT86/BRZ forum split

GT86/BRZ forum split  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you have?

• GT86
    • BRZ

When we were trying to decide between the two (as we already owned Subaru and Toyota cars) we took a Toyota out for a test drive, straight to our nearest Subaru dealer, and drove the GT and BRZ back to back over the same route.  Even took the salesman out in the GT after.  The ride seemed to suit us better in the Toyota, and we preferred the front end of the Toyota also. I could not get on with the black plastic "gumshield" on the BRZ.  Also preferred the black dash to the silver (now it is black on the BRZ as well), as for sounds, the head unit was poor in comparison on the Subaru as well.  

Other than that they were very similar.  We have owned sporty Subarus now for fifteen years, and my heart really wanted to prefer the BRZ, but as the Toyota is mostly Subaru parts anyway, we felt we were not straying far from the brand.

Picture139_zps4135770a.jpg

Noticed recently that even the Toyota emblem is made by Subaru.

DSC05891_zpsaxngw72u.jpg

Even the TRD accessories are made by Subaru!

BRZ master race all the way :D as for the stock radio on the BRZ, didn't bother me as I always change the OEM one for something better so why waste money on a fancy OEM unit which is always terrible in function when it's going to be replaced

as for the looks it's the 'tache on the BRZ that won it for me, also that they are so much rarer

also that they are so much rarer

That is basically what swung it for me. Although having said that, the only GT86s I have seen have been on a Toyota forecourt. I never see any of these cars, clearly they don't let me out enough.

There was I believe, an agreement that Subaru would only sell 1 BRZ for every 10 GT86s (don't know if that was worldwide or just UK) so they couldn't have sold as many even if they had really pushed it (albeit they haven't even sold 10% of the number here I don't think?)

As others have said, for the first few months of sales, BRZs only had a 3 year warranty (new ones now have 5), vs 5 on the Toyota, that would have swayed it for me if buying new, otherwise I wasn't that bothered really whether I got a BRZ or 86, I would've maybe even slightly preferred a BRZ for rarity...

When new, there's not much difference in price before discount (The Subaru Lux has standard leather? That was a £1700 option on the GT86 so it cancels out the perceived difference, albeit the Toyota is available for 15% discount through brokers)

In the end though I was buying 2nd hand, there were way fewer BRZs available (obviously) and the ones that were around all seemed to be up at significantly higher prices than the Toyotas (around 10% higher at the age I was looking at, and that was for cars with 6 months warranty left vs Toyotas with 30 months...)

So, if you have a BRZ, at least the residuals look to be a little firmer! Not sure how they will stand up as the first ones fall out of warranty?

I live a mile from RRG. And nowhere near a Subaru dealer. That's it really. Otherwise I'd have probably rather had the Subaru badge what with the boxer and everything.

Mind you it looks more like a Toyota to my eyes...

I have two 86's, but can't vote twice.. not fair!!

Didn't buy the BRZ because of silver dash panel and position of the alarm light.

Edited by Nigelr32

Come on, without Toyota, Subaru would never have put this car into production. It was Toyota persuading Subaru to get in on it all. The story is easy to find on all the collaboration stuff. 

I bought a GT86 because I have an AE86 and have known RRG Macc since around 2002. I would never have considered the BRZ and the reviews pointed to a more lairy nature of the spring setup on the GT86 so there was never any doubt. I prefer the GT86 front end and interior. It was a no brainer as far as I was concerned. I've been to the factory where the cars are built at Maebashi, Gunma. 

I live a mile from RRG. And nowhere near a Subaru dealer. That's it really. Otherwise I'd have probably rather had the Subaru badge what with the boxer and everything.

Mind you it looks more like a Toyota to my eyes...

You could always stick the Toyota badge on "back to front" then you'll see Subaru imprinted on it.  

That's a tad simplistic, Nigel. Toyota brought the collaboration to Subaru with their concept of a car to be the spiritual successor to the AE86 with design cues from the 2000GT. It's not a nod to any Subaru design as such. Subaru supplied the mechanicals, but for example Toyota did five different revisions to the gearbox to get the feel right and gave Subaru their expertise on the direct injection stuff. Toyota were very much involved in this project as we all know. So it's a lot more than a Subaru that Toyota paid for. 

That's a tad simplistic, Nigel. Toyota brought the collaboration to Subaru with their concept of a car to be the spiritual successor to the AE86 with design cues from the 2000GT. It's not a nod to any Subaru design as such. Subaru supplied the mechanicals, but for example Toyota did five different revisions to the gearbox to get the feel right and gave Subaru their expertise on the direct injection stuff. Toyota were very much involved in this project as we all know. So it's a lot more than a Subaru that Toyota paid for. 

Without wishing to sound at all rude.. I'm curious.. why didn't Toyota just build it themselves??

Just injectors isn't it? As opposed to everything else being Subaru. :P

Well the D4S system is Toyota, and the FA20 is different to all other boxers as a result. It is a Subaru built & designed engine.

Without wishing to sound at all rude.. I'm curious.. why didn't Toyota just build it themselves??

Cost. The Gunma factory was ideal for production and available. Plus, as above, the boxer engine was the ideal choice of engine due to COG and required power output.

Toyota did Subaru a favour in effect. Plus the practicalities of Subaru being able to build it at their production rates (smaller than Toyota of course) may well have suited Toyota and Subaru. 

The boxer engine became key to the concept with it's low COG. All these things helped of course. Key to the concept was having a car that was fun to drive and would revive Toyota nuts enthusiasm as a fun car with an FR layout and emulate the AE86 of who the now older enthusiasts such as myself who would remember the AE86 and love the idea of a modern take on it. 

I quite like the hybrid character. I like both the ae86 and always had a soft spot for subarus as well. The original Impreza WRX was a proper giant killer, and quite subtle in original form. And both with proper motorsports pedigree of course. This car shares the heritage of both.

So it's worthy of either badge. Although no ones mentioned the Subaru metallic blue yet which is as good a reason as any to go for a BRZ...

My only mild disappointment is that it doesn't go wub wub wub like a proper Subaru boxer though I understand the sensible engineering reasons for that.

Although no ones mentioned the Subaru metallic blue yet which is as good a reason as any to go for a BRZ...

Yup - that swung it for me.  The WR Blue is gorgeous.

My only mild disappointment is that it doesn't go wub wub wub like a proper Subaru boxer though I understand the sensible engineering reasons for that.

there is a very simple fix for that :)

I ruled out an Sti many years back after driving a friends example (one of the fancier imported variants with a lot of extra letters in the badge). After about 5 mins behind the wheel I confidently negotiated a roundabout at the best part of 80mph...

I concluded that although it was a fabulous machine, so capable it was at going far too fast, I might as well set fire to my driving licence.

The anti-gt86 in many ways...