Leejay-b

GT86 Final drive kit

It's nice performance mod to come together with NA. Imho especially so on AT. Seen very positive reviews by ones who installed such. I myself am more eyeing to close gear sets, not FD.

The gearbox is already close as it is. Not sure why you would want it even closer? 

Changing the FD would definitely be on my list if it wasn't for the fact I do so many motorway miles. Coupled with an aftermarket exhaust it would become irritating having a higher cruising RPM not to mention it would adversely affect my MPG. 

I'm getting Mfactory 4.67 FD fitted tomorrow so I will be able to report back on Tuesday when I pick it up. I have a stock manual 86 but getting Milltek primary system fitted while the exhaust is off.

4.1 standard, I think the obvious manual final drive upgrades for NA would be 4.55/4.67, I would go 4.44 possibly if FI. For the automatics I would suggest going for the next size up from a manual.

As for a percentage difference..... 4.67/4.1= 13.9% increase

I'm now on 4.66 motorway equals 75mph / 3500 rpm 

I was also 4.66 until recently, Kevin. But, as Church says, the AT has different ratios than the manual so I've reverted back to the standard 4.1 diff.

I was about 86mph at 3500rpm in the auto.

Spec K

I'm now on 4.66 motorway equals 75mph / 3500 rpm 

<Moderated before posting>

Kevin, can you check that, please?

I know there's a diference in 6th gear between MT and AT but at 3500 rpm I'm doing nearly 100mph on 4.1

And on the 4.67 diff (which I found seriously noisy, people!)  I was doing in excess of 85mph.

We can prove it at Cadwell if you're there on Friday.

Spec K

The gearbox is already close as it is. Not sure why you would want it even closer? 

Changing the FD would definitely be on my list if it wasn't for the fact I do so many motorway miles. Coupled with an aftermarket exhaust it would become irritating having a higher cruising RPM not to mention it would adversely affect my MPG. 

Journey to the garage and on the way back following the FD fitted. Same route. Same speed. Same MPG.

It's only 3.5k revs higher.

Noise levels at motorway speeds are no more than I'd expect. To test your system just go 3.5k revs higher.

350 rpm not much extra for motorway cruising.

Hows the performance gain... How does it feel?

Baring in mind I've had the full Milltek system fitted at the same time.

Car feels easier to drive, smoother gear changes (extra torque must help).

The real difference I found was 3rd 4th 5th gears. They just keep pulling instead of that feeling that they are gasping.

More drivability on the motorway due to the extra torque making overtaking etc a lot easier and a more relaxing drive as a result.

1st & 2nd are by no means tyre shredders and are easily controllable.

I'm just waiting for some dry weather to give it the full test on my usual test route but so far I'm very happy with the results.

It now feels a lot more power wise like my mates 350z but with more revs. No need to ring it's neck to get a shift on. Still do though.

<Moderated before posting>

Kevin, can you check that, please?

I know there's a diference in 6th gear between MT and AT but at 3500 rpm I'm doing nearly 100mph on 4.1

And on the 4.67 diff (which I found seriously noisy, people!)  I was doing in excess of 85mph.

We can prove it at Cadwell if you're there on Friday.

Spec K

Yep we are at Cadwell on Friday, will do a photo on the way up.

On 4 November 2015 21:23:18, Foulsmell said:

The real difference I found was 3rd 4th 5th gears. They just keep pulling instead of that feeling that they are gasping.

More drivability on the motorway due to the extra torque making overtaking etc a lot easier and a more relaxing drive as a result.

I'm just waiting for some dry weather to give it the full test on my usual test route but so far I'm very happy with the results.

It now feels a lot more power wise like my mates 350z but with more revs. No need to ring it's neck to get a shift on. Still do though. emoji4.png

Sounds just what I would want out of a GT86.

Can I ask roughly the fitting cost please?

On 4 November 2015 21:23:18, Foulsmell said:  

It now feels a lot more power wise like my mates 350z but with more revs. No need to ring it's neck to get a shift on. Still do though.

Sounds just what I would want out of a GT86.

Can I ask roughly the fitting cost please?

I'd budget for a full days labour and if it gets done quicker then it's a bonus.