remal

Unexpected things you Disike about the GT86

I never rely on mirrors, always want to turn my head. If you try this you will see how poor the visibility can be. It is a shame the mirrors don't have the bit that takes care of blind spots.

I never rely on mirrors, always want to turn my head. If you try this you will see how poor the visibility can be. It is a shame the mirrors don't have the bit that takes care of blind spots.

Just get the car sideways then you can look out the window better 🏻

1 hour ago, Willtl said:

I've described how you can take out the blind spot and has stopped me from needing to turn my head therefore being able to keep my head facing forwards being safer

22 minutes ago, Tareim said:

I've described how you can take out the blind spot and has stopped me from needing to turn my head therefore being able to keep my head facing forwards being safer

I know what you've said, but I'm not convinced you can cover off a blind spot without a blind spot mirror. I'm just not happy to rely on mirrors before pulling out. You can move forwards to check, but in the time when it is forgotten, that is when there will be someone in your blind spot.

21 hours ago, Foulsmell said:

I don't understand people who complain about things like this.

Test drive? That's what they are for.

I'm 6'3" no issues.

I'm 6ft 2"and found touring Europe was great and no issues doing almost 2k in 7 days. 

My list of minor niggles....

The stereo and heating knobs turn too easily for my OCD, the head rest bashes me in the back of the head if I have my hair tied back, getting in and out without scuffing the seat is like a daily dose of yoga (especially if there's a car next to me in the carpark), the car attracts stone chips like nothing else (and with the thin paint/metal is making my car look tatty), it makes TT drivers behave like idiots, I haven't yet worked out how to make the keyless entry thing on the door actually let me in, the petrol cap is on the same side as the majority of cars, errr.... but I do love the car though - this list is much shorter than any other car and I still find myself grinning when I drive it.

10 minutes ago, Eleanor11 said:

My list of minor niggles....

The stereo and heating knobs turn too easily for my OCD, the head rest bashes me in the back of the head if I have my hair tied back, getting in and out without scuffing the seat is like a daily dose of yoga (especially if there's a car next to me in the carpark), the car attracts stone chips like nothing else (and with the thin paint/metal is making my car look tatty), it makes TT drivers behave like idiots, I haven't yet worked out how to make the keyless entry thing on the door actually let me in, the petrol cap is on the same side as the majority of cars, errr.... but I do love the car though - this list is much shorter than any other car and I still find myself grinning when I drive it.

I'm confused? You simply grab the handle and pull.

1 hour ago, rob275 said:

I'm confused? You simply grab the handle and pull.

Not on mine - if I use the sensor on the handle it locks the car (even if it was already locked).  I have to use the fob to unlock the car

1 minute ago, Eleanor11 said:

Not on mine - if I use the sensor on the handle it locks the car (even if it was already locked).  I have to use the fob to unlock the car

Correct, the sensor on the front locks the car and even if you press it again it will lock the car. There is a sensor on the back of the handle though which unlocks the car. If that's not working i'd take it back to the garage to be checked out. I'm sure it all uses one loom though so why the lock works but unlock doesn't really isn't making sense.

If you go for the handle and pull it straight away, the car won't unlock

You almost need to "hover" your hand in the gap between the handle and the door for a split second to allow the sensor to trigger and unlock the door before pulling the handle

Have 0,5 seconds of patience and it will work. If not, take it to the dealer as Rob says

22 minutes ago, Eleanor11 said:

Can't drive past all the people queueing to a free pump unless you want to try dragging the pipe over the car

Buy a TVR Griffith instead, then you can have the fun of opening the boot to put the petrol in. Get it at the wrong angle and you get a volcano effect as the petrol "erupts" into the boot. :angry:

8 minutes ago, smudge said:

If you go for the handle and pull it straight away, the car won't unlock

You almost need to "hover" your hand in the gap between the handle and the door for a split second to allow the sensor to trigger and unlock the door before pulling the handle

Have 0,5 seconds of patience and it will work. If not, take it to the dealer as Rob says

I just kind of pull it to unlock and then pull again to open.

1 hour ago, Eleanor11 said:

Can't drive past all the people queueing to a free pump unless you want to try dragging the pipe over the car

I usually end up reversing beside a pump so facing the other way just so I can get to a pump that's rarely busy due to it being on the other side and means I don't have to pull the pipe over the car, really not an issue

I don't like the stock suspension, or the tyres. I also don't like the throttle translation and the jolt at every gear change. A remap sorts that out.

The thing I dislike the most is having no rear wiper. I'm so used to having a rear wiper to clear a misted up rear screen. Reversing out of my gates with steamed up windows and mirrors on a dark morning is a pain. Having said that, a rear wiper would look stupid on a GT86, so I bought a runaround instead.

17 minutes ago, Nigelr32 said:

I don't like the stock suspension, or the tyres. I also don't like the throttle translation and the jolt at every gear change. A remap sorts that out.

The thing I dislike the most is having no rear wiper. I'm so used to having a rear wiper to clear a misted up rear screen. Reversing out of my gates with steamed up windows and mirrors on a dark morning is a pain. Having said that, a rear wiper would look stupid on a GT86, so I bought a runaround instead.

It doesn't need a rear wiper!

Stick the rear windscreen heater on for 2mins and it's clear or here's a novel idea - reverse into your driveway when you get home so you can drive forwards out in the morning like I do? :P

37 minutes ago, Nigelr32 said:

You don't need a remap to drive the car smoothly. It's just basic finesse. Rear demist sorts out the rear screen. 

Don't like using rear screen heaters, mainly because of the short drives I do. Fear I'll kill the battery.

Good shout on reversing into the drive though!!

37 minutes ago, Lauren said:

You don't need a remap to drive the car smoothly. It's just basic finesse. Rear demist sorts out the rear screen. 

Ever driven an '86 on Motec Lauren??

I am more than capable of driving a car smoothly, but shouldn't have to "try" on such a modern car.

5 minutes ago, Willtl said:

Having to unlock the door when opening from the inside. Is this the norm? Seems ridiculous that you have to press unlock before opening the door.

it's a setting that can be changed, the car auto locks when you start as a safety feature to prevent hijacking, the doors auto unlock when the engine is turned off