Squadrone Rosso

Petrol question

Afternoon all,

Quick question. I see 98ron petrol is stipulated for our cars.

How important is this?

Typically, we use V Power or Tesco Momentum so no issue but this afternoon, my wife stopped at BP & Esso where super is rated as 97.

She skipped these & found a Shell but I've told her that I suspect even 95 will do in an emergency.

What do we think? For maximum performance, run 98+?

Cheers,

Simon

Thanks. There's a Shell garage 2 mins from us & we typically run our cars on V Power. Tesco Momentum is also bob on.

She just worried a little as she was out & about. Really pleased she took the car on a long run today though :D

Use V-Power Nitro, wherever you can. It's the best fuel due to the detergents. I won't use supermarket fuel in my car. In 72K miles I've never resorted to 95 i.e. regular unleaded. 

I'll use BP if I can't find V Power but not Momentum. 

Get the drivers club thing with Shell and you get vouchers. I get Waitrose vouchers as they have a good selection of gin. :)

Edited by Lauren

Shell V Power every time for me. The long term effects on your engine are so worth it compared to 95ron and all for the sake of a few pence

If you're ever stuck without Shell as an option stick the minimum amount of the highest RON on offer. I've only ever had to stick a tenner of Esso in as there wasn't a Shell for another 30miles. Got to Shell and filled up with V Power again

V Power for me every time if I can, although local shell station location is far from ideal for me locally. Also it isn't just about ron, Tesco 99/momentum may have a bigger ron but that is due to it using far more cheaper ethanol, and while those pesky EU lot are forcing ethanol into all petrol it is still I believe far lower/minimal in v-power. And while I know it is a subject of debate I do not myself believe ethanol is good for engines (it can act as a corrosive), or for mine in particular - I got the dreaded chirping the couple of times I used it, but not since.

Only fuels I've tried in my car over a few tanks:

1. Shell Vpower
  2. Sainsburys 97
  3. Esso 97
  4. Tesco 99

Since remapping last year it's only ever had Vpower. Tesco 99 over a few tanks felt awful. I felt Sainsburys 97 ran a lot better than Esso 97.

I've never really bothered about different fuels, but the 86 doesn't really like the Tescos stuff does it? I think it's noticeably better on VPower, so that's what it'll get...

The diesel doesn't seem to care. All uk fuel seems ok, but the stuff they sell in French supermarkets is hilariously bad. Runs like a bag of spanners until I get it a drink of Shell to clear its throat...

I've never really bothered about different fuels, but the 86 doesn't really like the Tescos stuff does it? I think it's noticeably better on VPower, so that's what it'll get...

The diesel doesn't seem to care. All uk fuel seems ok, but the stuff they sell in French supermarkets is hilariously bad. Runs like a bag of spanners until I get it a drink of Shell to clear its throat...

You are right about all UK fuel, inc supermarket stuff, being ok. Other than the tesco 99 and V-Power it basically all comes from the same handful of UK refineries whatever the brand name and while some cleaning additives may then vary slightly between the brands, it is all much of a muchness in my opinion. V-Power is as I say different because it only comes from the Ellesmere Port refinery.

I've always used Shell VPower, coupled with the drivers club card which is effectively 1p/litre off (slightly more with all the bonus points you can pick up).

Today was the 2nd time I've put BP in and that was because the fuel indicator was slightly below the red line and I didn't fancy risking another 10miles to the Shell garage.

Dread to think what the quarter of a tank my car came with was but I've only ever put v power in it and do everything thing in my (v) power to ensure that remains the case. I don't have a Shell in my town unfortunately but it's a good excuse to go for a spin :) 

V Power everytime. Your ECU will cut back big time on 95 to avoid knock and you will lose a few horses in the process. On N/A it is always preferred. 

Funnily enough, my car was turbo mapped on V Power. I recently had to use Tesco 99 as my regular Shell garage was out of V Power. The next 7 days I drove the car, I could feel the difference in the quality and the car certainly run a tiny bit lumpy. 

We know Tesco boost their octane rating with their 99 by using a massive amount of Ethanol, and it certainly shows when driving compared with V Power. Even though it is the same octane rating, the quality is night and day. 

The joy of having to rely on Shell... You have to plan every journey around their filling stations!

that can make the journey more interesting sometimes, I went to pick something up awhile ago and needed fuel for the return leg, ended up with a nice scenic route home rather than the boring motorway