Special K

RIP, Eric

My Dad, Eric, died at 6.00am this morning, aged 93.

He was a skilled mechanic, having served an apprenticeship in my Grandad's garage (which was on the Army & Navy Roundabout, Chelmsford) and as a Chieftan tank fitter/instructor based at Cark-in-Carnforth in Cumbria during World War 2 - he taught the Prince of Wales (later King George) to drive.

So, when I decided to buy a second-hand 750F car in 1969 I turned to him to prepare it for me - which he did with considerable skill, particularly when it came to polishing and porting the head (this was in the days when the sidevalve 750cc engine was being superceded by the 600cc Reliant alloy lump)

I came second in class at the first Championship round - Cadwell Park - in April 1970. 31 May 1970 saw us (Dad, Mom, new missus and me) at Snetterton, which I won and set a new lap record. My Dad and me were over the moon, as you can appreciate, so we decided we would celebrate on the way home and we stopped at a highly prestigious hotel for dinner- The Bull at Long Melford.

Us four greasy spoons in a sea of upper class tranquility . . .  until we decided that, as a finale, Eric and I would enjoy crepe suzette, cooked at the tableside. With a little encouragement (err, a lot actually . .) the Maitre D'Hotel was exuberant with the brandy and, when he 'flamed' it the conflagration hit the ceiling, and set off the sprinklers...

... The restaurant guests got soaked, the hotel was evacuated . . .  Eric and I couldn't stop laughing.... it still creases me up when I remember it now . .

... happy days . .

Spec K

Thanks for indulging me in my moment of reminiscence . Yes, we were prepared for it, as he was diagnosed with mitral stenosis (failing heart) on top of his blindness, lung disfunction and failing kidneys three weeks ago and has been on an 18-hour daily oxygen regime since discharge (there's no way they will dream of a heart valve replacement at that age). His GP was ready to hook him up to the 'driver' of happy juice (morphine and valium - float away) three days ago but Eric told him to fsck off . . what a grumpy old sod . . B)

Went over to his home today, saw Mum (Mags) and my two brother were there, Noel having flown in from Portugal this morning. Said my goodbyes just before the undertakers turned up. We've agreed that the funeral will be after next Saturday week (10th) as my daughter is getting married on that day.

It's one of the reasons I didn't make Blyton on Sunday . . but I'm sure as hell gonna go for Cadwell.

Spec K

So sorry to hear your bad news Keith. Hold on to those memories mate.. I'm sure he was very proud of you.

This has been a 'septimana horribilis' . . .

Following my Dad's death.... our freezer blew its fuse and we've lost the whole lot, we were so tied up with family stuff we didn't notice... then Mother-In-Law fell down at home on Wednesday and is now in Emeregency Care at Broomfield Hospital, not likely to be let out..

Hmmm.

I think I'll forego tomorrow's sky-diving trip... :(

Spec K