Squadrone Rosso

Japanese reliability?

The good news (for me) is that I've got it for a while to test it as she's lost confidence in it a bit.  She's in our trusty FIAT Panda Cross.

I've driven it c50 miles this morning.  With 750 miles on it, it's driving lovely and I love the thing a lot.  My wife will get there I'm sure :)

Fingers crossed - but it might take a bit more faffing yet. Modern cars don't seem to break as much, but when there IS an issue, accurately tracing the fault seems to be a nightmare...

I hope its second time lucky...

It is nice isn't it? Takes a while to tune into - I'm up to 2.5k now and only just feeling completely at home with it...

My wife had another nice little gift package off the dealer today.

eae547b14bb185b8511ad687b605e349.jpg

They also gave us a new set of 4 locking logo valve caps to replace the two that got pinched when they had it.

All nice little touches. We're both loving the car now, too :D

If it's any consolation, when my battery let me down a couple of weeks ago, the RAC guy said he was very surprised to be called out to a Toyota, then when he saw it was a GT86 he was shocked. "never called out on one of these", so they must be pretty good on reliability??

Nigel: from toyota these have only badges, bumpers, headunit and fuel injection system. It's simpler to compare reliability wise to subaru-s, to which they have most in common. Also one has to take into account to compare to numbers sold, and how they are driven. These are not bought to be driven slow and carefully to get to church on sundays, but for heavier then average abuse on roads and on track :). So i wouldn't draw any statistical conclusions from that phrase. It can aswell stem from fact that they are not sold in that big numbers as eg. some corollas. My 2 years experience so far is being very satisfying & problem free (except common to subaru's bad soundproofing which i don't fault though "because racecar" :), and small body repair needed due my lack of driving skills :) and overconfidence).

Though then again, given low price of car of such class, imho in some 5 years these cars can become more common. Someone called them modern day nissan sx180/200. I doubt it ever outselling MX-5, but becoming rather common? Why not. More fun then eg. some FWD hyundai coupe. Cheaper then bmw/merc coupes.

Nigel: from toyota these have only badges, bumpers, headunit and fuel injection system. It's simpler to compare reliability wise to subaru-s, to which they have most in common. Also one has to take into account to compare to numbers sold, and how they are driven. These are not bought to be driven slow and carefully to get to church on sundays, but for heavier then average abuse on roads and on track :). So i wouldn't draw any statistical conclusions from that phrase. It can aswell stem from fact that they are not sold in that big numbers as eg. some corollas. My 2 years experience so far is being very satisfying & problem free (except common to subaru's bad soundproofing which i don't fault though "because racecar" :), and small body repair needed due my lack of driving skills :) and overconfidence).

Though then again, given low price of car of such class, imho in some 5 years these cars can become more common. Someone called them modern day nissan sx180/200. I doubt it ever outselling MX-5, but becoming rather common? Why not. More fun then eg. some FWD hyundai coupe. Cheaper then bmw/merc coupes.

I am very aware that this car is a Subaru, believe me I have two. Actually the badges are even made by Subaru. I don't understand the point you are trying to get across?? I was merely saying the guy who came to me was shocked that a Toyota had a call out, then more shocked it was an '86. They are very good.

It doesn't matter who made the car, it is generally reliable in his opinion. The battery problem was my fault, too many short journeys with nom trickle in between.

Nigel: My point is was that there is not enough of these cars yet and they aren't around for long enough for car mechanic to theorise that they are reliable or not basing just on fact that this was his first case of having to do something on toyobaru-s. More statistical cases are needed to tell something generic about their reliability.

they've been around for 3 years already and about 4k of them on the road, so while there wont be as many as a Fiesta for example this isn't a car you would forget about if you dealt with it broken down

that's a good point, if these cars can take the abuse of being experience day vehicles and not have anything go wrong then surely that's a good testament to their reliability?