That's a great head to head test and video. Seems to come down to weight more than anything else that gives the MX5 the edge on speed, although you can foresee that stiffer suspension will possibly the first mod enthusiast owners make to it given the terrible body roll.

For me subjectively when you see them side by side the Toyburu wins on looks, although a convertible option would have been nice. The MX5 short shifter looks great too, but as I said previously with a young child I need a rear seat so...

It's been said elsewhere... But the standard rubber must limit the 0-60 as time must be lost with wheel spin...

Is that not standard rubber then?

On PH, it was said that the people who do the vids use the rolling start on the V Box.......

I like that. IMO looks better than the BRZ and the face off makes it sound the better car. If I didn't want the extra seats for occasional use I think I'd be going for the MX5.

Looks are one of those subjective things though - you're the only person I've seen say it's hideous.

There are bits I'm not so keen on but overall I think it's a very good looking car. Definitely not hideous.

I too think it's hideous, really not a fan of the headlights with the sidelight in the corner of them making it look like it's crying, also the drl's in the bumper look tacky, I have similar feelings about the rear, the lights are just all wrong in my eyes

It's more than subjective, Deacon. It needs a look at the whole ethos and rationale of the two non-comparable platforms.

Mazda are disinterested in performance enhancement, whereas the GT86 from the outset was engineered as a basic building block.

Why else would Prof. Tadasan insist from the outset that the GT86 boot be able to take four wheels/tyres for trackday use. .?

Can you envisage 75% of the Japan Motor Show halls next year being devoted to Mazda MX5 developments by the Japanese aftermarket? That's what happened in 2012 when the GT86 was launched.

Mazda have optimised the 'hairdresser' car. I hope it sells well for them to the primpers and permers that make up their market.

Spec K

There are more race series and events for the mx5 around the world than there'll probably ever be for the 86. I don't think there'll be a problem with the availability of mods for them or with Mazda producing more performance orientated ones as they have done in the past. Both the MK1 and MK2 got factory turbo charged models for instance - not something it's looking like Toyota or Subaru have much interest in offering. Also, if Toyota were that interested in enhancement, they'd have addressed better some of the difficulties with things like a lack of adjustability in the rear suspension needing new lca's for camber adjustment (yet something easily done as stock on an MX5), or they'd have given the car longer damper units to allow the space for better aftermarket units for improved perfomance, and they'd have sorted out the issue with lowered cars throwing the driveshaft angle way off leading to failures, etc

No cars perfect and I'm happy to acknowledge the flaws even if it's a car I own. And I'm not trying to say the mazda is perfect either - the mx5's have notorious issues with rust for instance on both the MK2 and MK3 models.

It's fair enough that people don't like the looks, there are some misguided folk who don't like the looks of our 86's / brz's - as I said that's a subjective thing.

But to say the mx5 can't be a competition car or performance enhanced is just rubbish.

Think you need to do a bit more homework Keith.

There are more race series and events for the mx5 around the world than there'll probably ever be for the 86. I don't think there'll be a problem with the availability of mods for them or with Mazda producing more performance orientated ones as they have done in the past. Both the MK1 and MK2 got factory turbo charged models for instance - not something it's looking like Toyota or Subaru have much interest in offering. Also, if Toyota were that interested in enhancement, they'd have addressed better some of the difficulties with things like a lack of adjustability in the rear suspension needing new lca's for camber adjustment (yet something easily done as stock on an MX5), or they'd have given the car longer damper units to allow the space for better aftermarket units for improved perfomance, and they'd have sorted out the issue with lowered cars throwing the driveshaft angle way off leading to failures, etc

No cars perfect and I'm happy to acknowledge the flaws even if it's a car I own. And I'm not trying to say the mazda is perfect either - the mx5's have notorious issues with rust for instance on both the MK2 and MK3 models.

It's fair enough that people don't like the looks, there are some misguided folk who don't like the looks of our 86's / brz's - as I said that's a subjective thing.

But to say the mx5 can't be a competition car or performance enhanced is just rubbish.

Think you need to do a bit more homework Keith.

No - I don't think I stated the MX5 cannot be a 'competitive car' or 'enhanced'.  Put a blonde wig on it (enhancement) and I'm sure it will appeal to someone . .

I'm not into an argument, merely a discussion. The GT86 was unashamadly launched as a 'platform' for further enhancement. Now the Toyobaru brigade have everything from chrome bulbs to V8  engine conversions.

Can the MX2/3/4/5 devotees claim the same in-depth interest and development? In three years the GT86/BRZ has developed 17,000 (my Google search) add-ons. The MX clones, in five years (my Google search) pumps to 12,000 hits.  Please, Deacon - try it 'cos I'm useless at this stuff and my search parameters - (MX5 hairdresser car) - may have given misleading results . . :rolleyes:

Homework is for my grandchildren. They come to me for answers (except on internet stuff). And, if I don't know the answer then Pitman and Nige32 are unfailing . .

Spec K

Yep, internet research clearly isn't your thing if you don't think you can get everything from chrome bulbs to V8 conversions for the MX5 in the over 25 years of development that the MX5 has had.

After this and the MX5 being based on a Fiat 500 platform comment I do wonder whether you even know what an MX5 is?

Anyway, I'll leave you to trying to sort out your auto-transmission and I hope you have more luck with it than with your Internet searching.

Really? Is a car a hairdressers car simply because it's optimised for road use? Apart from the vaguely homophobic connotations anyway, the general thrust is that the car is more about the looks than the road manners.

So you could accuse various hatch based cabrios, Audi TT, various horrible little coupes (Vauxhall Tigra perhaps?), but not the MX5 which has ALWAYS been about driving first and foremost. I'll say it again, not everyone who enjoys driving wants to play at being a racing driver. The Mazda has always been a decently engineered little road car and doesn't deserve to be sneered at.

this thread requires much popcorn. The MX5 is a great little car, the looks i don't know, some angles it looks great, others it looks hideous. I think there are more hairdressers driving BMW's than Mazda's

this thread requires much popcorn. The MX5 is a great little car, the looks i don't know, some angles it looks great, others it looks hideous. I think there are more hairdressers driving BMW's than Mazda's

My hairdresser can barely afford a pushbike, poor sod...

The MX5 has always been a driver focused car that was built on a simple rwd chassis, because of this it can please those who want the wind in the hair feeling now and then (think back to the old british sports car). However the flip side of the coin is that with some simple mods (i.e. lowering springs, exhaust & air filter) you can change it into a pointy and nimble b road/track weapon. 

Infact I have a MK1 which I intend to convert into a track beast and I'm also considering replacing the BRZ with the MK4.

Funnily enough I've heard the MX-5 and the 86 referred to as hairdresser's cars so I'm afraid that we all may have an inner hairdresser waiting to get out...

I won't bother sharing my opinion and getting dragged in to this though  :lol:

Funnily enough I've heard the MX-5 and the 86 referred to as hairdresser's cars so I'm afraid that we all may have an inner hairdresser waiting to get out...

I won't bother sharing my opinion and getting dragged in to this though :lol:

Too late. Short back and sides please!

Why is it only this country that has to grade everything into a particular category.

MX5 = Hairdresser

Boxster= Hairdresser

Tigra = Hairdresser

KA Sport = Hairdresser

Suzuki Vitara = Hairdresser

Everywhere else in the world..

MX5 = Bloody good sports car

Boxster = Awesome sportscar

Tigra = ????

KA sport = ???? probably considered a great little convertible for youngsters

Suzuki Vitara = Bloody good off road vehicle

I remember an old guy saying to me once, whilst I was pulling into a carpark in my NC2 MX5, "They've taken the Hairdresser out of that aint they". "Yep" I replied, "it's now an old fat ba$tards car"!!

Just my 2p...