Gringosteve

5 year warranty details

Not unless that was the cause of the failure.

I'm sure they'd love to use it as an excuse to get out of paying, meh I've got one on order anyway, hopefully wont cause any problems

You'll find it comes down to the dealer who chooses if they warranty it or not because they claim back ultimately, so you'll find some dealers don't want to risk not being able to claim that work for whatever reason, but you'll find places like RRG Macclesfield are more than willing to help those out as they know exactly how the warranty works and knows what they can claim and what they can but who will also do whatever they can to help.

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere previously that some places won't make a fuss over borderline things as they want the money from doing the warranty work. Sure I read that...

Regards warranty for any case it has to be proven that the modification that has been made has caused the issue and not a manufacturing fault before they can refuse it.

If your dealership can't prove this they either can't refuse the claim or request an engineers opinion...

If TGB are really stuck with diagnosing a problem they ask for our support (TMUK) and in a case for a GT86 I'll be your engineer

On "The other" Forum, I asked the question, "What is the best chemical to safely remove the green gunk on the ABS and throttle body etc."?

I got a reply, "If you remove the green gunk you will void your warranty".

Don't believe all you hear Nik, some owners are very over cautious.

I have heard of a case if you paint your calliper it would void your warranty on this part

It wouldn't, it would just look daft.

Honestly though, if not done correctly you could cause issues. You'd have to be completely clueless though. I'm just wary as most caliper paint wont hold up well to decent temperatures and will melt easily.

As has been said, the mod would have to have been a contributory cause for a repair under warranty to be refused. So changing your exhaust or getting a remap would not prevent a claim for rust on the bodywork for example, but going FI would likely prevent you claiming on a gearbox failure if there is a link between the two.

As to the other questions in the OP, yes the standard Toyota 5 years warranty in the UK has been there from the start (and was matched by Subaru for the BRZ whose standard warranty at the time was 3 years), but bear in mind that while legally new cars must come with a 3 year UK warranty, any extra years above that is not statutory. The bottom line with that is that it MAY have an effect depending on your service history, as while so long as you service in line with the manual and using correct parts (oil etc.) a manufacturer still has to honour a 3 year warranty even if that servicing was not done at a main dealer, you will likely find some small print for the extra 2 years of a 5 year warranty where they can legally refuse to honour a warranty claim if you have not got the main dealer stamps (as it is similar to other extended warranty rules) - although this is likely to be open to negotiation/interpretation by the different dealers dealing with warranty claims in the extra 2 years.

Also worth remembering the last two years of the warranty are not comprehensive like the first three are. Or in my car now I'm over 60K though my car is a little over two years old, I am now in the latter part of the warranty where things are not so comprehensively covered. Fingers crossed!

Also worth remembering the last two years of the warranty are not comprehensive like the first three are. Or in my car now I'm over 60K though my car is a little over two years old, I am now in the latter part of the warranty where things are not so comprehensively covered. Fingers crossed!

Of, course, 5 years or 60K miles !! I hadn't even considered this!!

I hope I don't have to test it out, too soon, though I'm preparing myself for things like wheel bearings and balljoints as once past 70K it could be anytime soon, but of course they are wear and tyre items and I would expect to pay for those. Likewise the clutch which is now past it's expected service life. 

Thankfully the only warranty claim I had in the first 60K is a coilpack which was changed more as a precaution after it threw a CEL twice and the heated seat switch light failed (though the seat still worked). Not too bad going really. :)

I hope I don't have to test it out, too soon, though I'm preparing myself for things like wheel bearings and balljoints as once past 70K it could be anytime soon, but of course they are wear and tyre items and I would expect to pay for those. Likewise the clutch which is now past it's expected service life. 

I'm sure GPRM could sort you with "as new" parts Lauren?

The person i spoke to at Japfest had asked their dealer about some minor things including painting callipers and was told it would invalidate the warranty on this part I suppose if they had return the part to Toyota the paint would not help a claim even if it did not cause the failure?

I have no idea why people paint their calipers, but realistically the paint is not going to be a factor in whatever the problem was unless they'd painted the insides of it! ;)

The problem is, Nick some dealers will just say some things so that they never have to deal with it. Get a good dealer and you're sorted as it is clear that YMMV. 

I have no idea why people do a lot of things but that's life I suppose if I lived near RRG I would happily use him but i don't i cannot comment on other dealers as I don't know them only my local one

I should add, it's absolutely fine of course if people wish to paint or coat their calipers. Its not my thing, but I get that it can be somebody else's. 

I also had no idea people cleaned their brake calipers  :P