GT86Jay

Numberplate Legalities

So following on from the topic tangent in my Supercharger thread, I thought I'd start another thread regarding this. 

I asked specifically about the legals of Black Gel Numberplate like the style below.

domed_black_1.jpg

I asked Norfolk Traffic Police and Suffolk Traffic Police what their views were on the black gel number plates. They didn't want to specifically say Legal or Not Legal but what they did say is as long as the plate is visible, correct font, correct spacing and reflective there isn't a problem. I'm still trying to get them to confirm specifically about Gel letters. But I don't think they want to put them in a position where they confirm anything! Seems like even they don't know..

They forwarded me on this leaflet saying this is the guidelines... 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359317/INF104_160914.pdf

If anyone has any stories, numberplates they've got away with running and problems then this is a good place to post. I think i'm going to get a smaller Gel Number plate, to within all the standards and law and see how it goes. 

Jay, the issue is that the Police don't often know. While I was looking into getting mine done I read some interesting stories. One guy had a legal size smaller plate and a police officer took him to court for an illegal plate based on the fact he "knew" it was too small. He couldn't contest it however as it didn't have the other legal markings and the prosecution was for an illegal plate. I see illegally spaced plates all the time, I can't understand when police see plates becoming an issue. The law states that these should be prosecuted but no one does, I wasn't going to risk spacing mine wrong though.

Just make sure you have the manufacturer and BS logo and you can then defend your plate no matter what. I think the DVLA regs are a little vague for a reason. So long as you prove you have adhered to them then you shouldn't have an issue. Worst case is keep INF104 in your glovebox.

I have some 3D Carbon style ones, but I've not used them yet mainly because I can't decide what I'm doing car wise. They are correctly spaced and have the legal markings.

However on the legal side of things the government website states "Characters on a number plate can be 3D." See here: https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates

DVLA have just replied to me and stated that Black 3D lettering is okay as long as the other requirements are legal. And number plate spacing and size are compliant. 

I think i'll print this reply off and carry it in the car. 

I doubt anyone would ever be pulled over for having a slightly wrong numberplate. A cop would have to be pretty bored to do that. 

The problem comes if you get pulled for something else or a random spot check then its another thing they'll add to the list of offenses. 

Not that anyone on here will be doing anything illegal or has anything illegal! 

I had a look the other week about the legal requirements as I've been looking at new plates - there are a lot of people with non-strictly legal plates on the roads but the vast majority have the correct font / spacing etc.

I doubt you'll get stopped for it if the font / spacing is correct. Even if you are stopped, you should be fine providing you don't get arsey with the cops... you see it all the time on cop shows, they stop someone for something simple with the intention of just having a word, the driver gets arsey and they then find themselves with a few fines for technicalities!

I have a three quarter size plate on the front, correct spacing,border, and font; and this plate can be read by the cameras okay.  The car has been scrutinised by a police officer while I was doing a photo shoot on a lighthouse access road.  He kindly pointed out that I should not hang around too long. He was not interested in the plate.

Picture%20032%203_zpst3u78ccv.jpg

4 months, touch wood, no problem. I try and be on best behaviour around local police cars, I've been told its the highway ones and will in fact pull you up on it.

333cdc64ec537d554e00466142b9a560.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for your back size on the front knightryder. Currently on their way, will get some pics up once fitted (once new logbook with reg comes through). While for legal reasons I haven't gone for the JDM size rear (the letters are shorter so I'm unsure), I have gone for one closer to square on the back.

Anyone know anyone that does plates with 1/2 size spaces?

I can't find any sites online that do 1/2 width spaces.

Just call or email any of the show plate companies. They wont be legal though.