mike-p

GT86 Cosworth

If Adrian has mapped the engine it will be fine. If you don't short shift or do drag starts your 'box will be fine...

I am really looking forward to seeing this on Sunday, and hearing it.. the day can't come soon enough!!

when you say short shift, what about those that daily drive and have a sc, do you have to shift at 4k+ every time?

Good question, it will be the first one Fensport have done.

... and, more importantly, the first Cossie s/c in the Sprint Series..!!   I am really looking forward to seeing the 'Cosmike Express' at Snet...

You've got a bit of competition but I'm sure you'll keep your cool.. if you're collecting the car Sat morning I'd recommend you spend a bit of time on Adrian's road course feeling the throttle over bumps, out of the bends, check your braking distances.

Fortunately Snet 100 is a safe environment, just watch the left hander onto the Sprint finish straight by making sure you don't go in too fast and make sure you nail your exit line as you boot it out...

(... aaargh... bites fist in frustration...)

Spec K

Guys I'm spending Saturday afternoon on the Eye airfield runway doing large circles in both direction and working out how far I can push the car before it either breaks away or less likely understeers. Then trying throttle lift offs to see How the car responds, then I might try the odd drag run....

Then a drive over my usual test route, 4 or 5 times.

So all being well I should have 200 miles driving experience with the beastie before Sunday.

when you say short shift, what about those that daily drive and have a sc, do you have to shift at 4k+ every time?

Of course not, just drive it how you want to. Wouldn't be any fun if you couldn't go over 4K rpm! 

I think I got my terminology wrong here... again!!

When I say "Short Shift" I mean slamming it into gear faster than the synchros can cope with. Having stripped and rebuilt this 'box, I can tell you, it will break if abused, especially 6th gear.. the teeth are tiny.

Have a chat to Adrian all about it. He has experience of what the 'box can and can't andle, we've chatted at length...

yeah wrong terminology :D but it's ok, short shift means (to me at least) changing up a gear earlier than normal, usually to avoid breaking traction.

after reading that the cogs can handle fast shifts makes me even more glad I have the auto

Would be surprised if you just load a cosworth map in and leave it. All engines are different and most base maps need tweaking to finish them off. I'm sure Adrian will do all that is needed regardless. Enjoy

It's true, in order for Cosworth to quote their gains, you have to have everything that they've specified install along with their own premade map which is locked so people can't copy and tweak then but I'm sure Adrian would be able to reverse engineer some of that from the logs he gets.

No worries on the maps guys, working closely with Cosworth I will just be a "map logger" for the day and and simply send them logs to fine tune :)

We already have a base map to suit the Avo exhaust :)

Not long now Mike  :D

Cheers

Adrian

Yeah, Adrian and Mark has mapped people's cars from their office's in the UK to people all over Europe, as long as they have Internet connection, they just send a log back, analyse the data, tweak the map, send it back to the client, they install the map and do another run and then send the logs back again.

so if you only send them logs, would that mean a return visit to get the custom map put back on?

The ROMs are only a 1Mb file.

Would be surprised if you just load a cosworth map in and leave it. All engines are different and most base maps need tweaking to finish them off. I'm sure Adrian will do all that is needed regardless.

Depends if it's setup to utilise the cars fuel trims capability and how on the edge the base tune is.

Sounds like you are going to be busy Mike, but you'll be very sideways and having lots of fun!!

Wait, are you ragging around on an airfield by yourself on Saturday? Or is there an actual trackday or something there? Cos if you are by yourself, how do we get in on that action?

Mike-P =  when you pick your car up from Fensport ask Adrian to give you my Tein 'logs' and manual out of my glove compartment.

These settings were developed by Adrian, Colin Hoad (CAT) and Yukiko (Tein) at Millbrook. A special test day specifically for the f/i GT86 setup for Pitman and myself.

Lauren is pretty savvy on the Tein adjustments and, if you ask her really nicely, she may reprogram your controller with my settings if you wish. I am hopeless at this techy stuff..

At least it will be a starter for you...

Spec K

Mike-P =  when you pick your car up from Fensport ask Adrian to give you my Tein 'logs' and manual out of my glove compartment.

These settings were developed by Adrian, Colin Hoad (CAT) and Yukiko (Tein) at Millbrook. A special test day specifically for the f/i GT86 setup for Pitman and myself.

Lauren is pretty savvy on the Tein adjustments and, if you ask her really nicely, she may reprogram your controller with my settings if you wish. I am hopeless at this techy stuff..

At least it will be a starter for you...

Spec K

Keith you are the man!

I'll need all the help I can with all these changes.

Wait, are you ragging around on an airfield by yourself on Saturday? Or is there an actual trackday or something there? Cos if you are by yourself, how do we get in on that action?

I'll be on the airfield at Eye on Saturady afternoon, it's basically a runway behind the industrial estate, it's used by learners etc. so if I can find a large free spot I'll be doing the 'driving around in a circle as quick as I can' test.

If you check Google Earth near Eye Suffolk just to the right of the A140, you'll see a long wide strip of concrete which was the old US Airforce base during WW2. That's where I'll be.

I'll be on the airfield at Eye on Saturady afternoon, it's basically a runway behind the industrial estate, it's used by learners etc. so if I can find a large free spot I'll be doing the 'driving around in a circle as quick as I can' test.

If you check Google Earth near Eye Suffolk just to the right of the A140, you'll see a long wide strip of concrete which was the old US Airforce base during WW2. That's where I'll be.

Might come and see you on the airfield!? Whats the deal with getting on it? Is it an organised thing? Or just a free for all?