Special K

GT86 Ebola

Sorry to say that the 'Ebola virus for the GT86' has struck my car..

The tickover misfire, followed by ecu warning light, encountered on the M1 car park last Friday has been diagnosed as the dreaded vvti issue..

... I cannot plan anything until my dealer/Toyo GB have discussed it and decided on the warranty way forward...

Looks like I may miss Rob's BBQ and JAE... possibly even Croft...

I will keep you all posted.

Spec K

Do you think they will quibble on a mildly tuned vehicle, not that I have the problem but a thought never the less. Hope you get it sorted ASAP.

Do you think they will quibble on a mildly tuned vehicle, not that I have the problem but a thought never the less. Hope you get it sorted ASAP.

the way they mucked about with your headlight Kevin I wonder what their warranty policy is

Just out of interest, does the Ecutek have an input on the VVTi and how that aspect of timing is managed?

I'm only wondering as this is the second car with an AVO turbo where the issue has occurred. Obviously a sample of two is not significant!

Oh god mate, I feel your pain. Hope you get a resolve quicker than I did. Toyota and Subaru need to address this. It is still affecting cars at all stages in their life, following no rhyme or reason. Absolutely gutted for you mate.

I think the words were "ticking timebomb"...

Sorry to hear this Keith,I know some n/a cars have this issue but it does seem quite a few turbo cars are going down with this,could it be due to the extra heat from the turbo?? What ever the cause its not good for are car & it could happen to any of us.

I know a few that have had the issue without any Ecutek. 

It was suggested on the FT86 forum that it was due to excessive heat build up having issues with the VVTI controller which is located right beside the Engine. 

Turbo cars are obviously going to have higher temps in the engine bay. 

Keep up posted about how Toyota GB resolve it! 

In my opinion it's random. Turbo, Supercharger or mapping makes no difference. 

It's been seen with Turbo cars, Supercharged cars, NA Cars, Non-Mapped Cars and mapped cars. 

It's a fairly unknown problem as to whats causing it

Judging by the FT86 list it's completely random. My dealer was adamant that it's mechanical, as oposed to ecu related. Oil control valves and vvti gear being their focal point.

No, the main problem is that it comes and is very difficult to replicate / cause it to happen manually. 

If you drive without realising it can do serious damage. 

But basically don't drive with the engine light on and if idle is rough! 

Sorry to hear this Keith!  :(

How does this issue differ to the early rough idle, check engine light vvti issue people were getting?  Wasn't it something along the lines of too tight of a tolerance and some valve staying open or something?

To answer some of the questions -

Lauren - my mileage is 26,000. The car, with turbo,  been 100% reliable on road and track. It has done 229 miles round Spa at full chat - three full tanks of fuel with two drivers - and not missed a beat..

Faith - the room is booked and paid for, so you're welcme to it if I don't make it. (I even had the engine bay valeted today, just for JAE... and I've got me fancy dress as well!)

Ecutek re-map does not affect vvti.

Rob - Toyota have issued 'Dealer technical notes' - and a modified standard vvti map - which they say overcomes the problem. However - this new map has a 'G' suffix which denotes for manual cars only. An 'I' suffix denotes for auto, which has not been released, or so it seems at the moment...

Keethos - this appears that the valve timing 'locks' and the oil control valve on the right cylinder bank malfunctions. If it is ignored (or fails to re-set itself, which mine thankfully did after the Friday overnight hotel at Milton Keynes) the engine can go bang..

Voice message from my dealers today - they are waiting for advice from Toyo UK Technical in regards to what is covered under warranty..

An initial idea was to swap the oil control valves to see if the problem recurred on the left cylinder bank or stayed with the right cylinder bank - a bodge which I am not happy to try, as its my engine that would go bang, so for me it's a full vvti assembly replacement (8 hours dealer time).

Fortunately I was in the workshop when the technician found the issue and he spent a good half hour chatting with Adrian at Fensport. So, whatever route is decided on, there are clear ground rules that no remapping is to be done. If they install a standard fuel/timing map on a turbo (and probably a s/charged car as well) there could be serious issues, as we know from the past.

I will keep you informed. My baby is comfortable, in no pain and taking comfort in the loving cooing noises I am making...

Spec K

Hi Keith, sorry to hear about that mate. More dramas, the last thing you needed. Hope you can get it fixed up quickly now. Very useful to know about this issue anyway, thanks for sharing. Will keep an eye out.

I do wonder if there's any reason to be concerned about my motor the frequency with which I'm hitting 8k at sprints with the engine relatively cool. Before anyone says, changing up sooner not an option :-)

Maybe I can justify the turbo on the dubious grounds of "saving the engine" :-)

Quick question for you Keith. You mentioned at Snet about the bottom brace that worked really well. Was it this one:

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_2/4579

Or this one:

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_2/4578

Thanks

Stan

Haversack

Rob - Toyota have issued 'Dealer technical notes' - and a modified standard vvti map - which they say overcomes the problem. However - this new map has a 'G' suffix which denotes for manual cars only. An 'I' suffix denotes for auto, which has not been released, or so it seems at the moment...

It does seem the 3 cars I know of that have had the issue have been Autos. BRZ Rab was Auto? 

Hope you get it fixed soon! And do please still come to JAE. I might be there in the Yaris too. Touch and go with whether my car is going to be ready. 

We can be Yaris buddies.

Hi Keith, sorry to hear about that mate. More dramas, the last thing you needed. Hope you can get it fixed up quickly now. Very useful to know about this issue anyway, thanks for sharing. Will keep an eye out.

I do wonder if there's any reason to be concerned about my motor the frequency with which I'm hitting 8k at sprints with the engine relatively cool. Before anyone says, changing up sooner not an option :-)

Maybe I can justify the turbo on the dubious grounds of "saving the engine" :-)

Quick question for you Keith. You mentioned at Snet about the bottom brace that worked really well. Was it this one:

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_2/4579

Or this one:

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_2/4578

Thanks

Stan

Haversack

Haversack?

<chuckle>.... nice one, Stan..

Summit 4-point reference 2/4578 is my version.

But a top brace is essential - I would not recommend the lower without the upper (not necessarily the Summit but that's the way I've gone...)

And, if you are really focussed on ultimate front-end control - which I know you are! - the next step I would consider would be polypropylene bushes for the steering rack.. that nails a n/a front end to its best possible performance, subject to dampers. Not for wimps.

But that is only my opinion..

<aside.... my baby is crying, I can hear it! The engine bay clean today is irritating......aww, poor little diddums...>

Spec K