Special K

GT86 Ebola

Sorry to hear this Keith.

So worst case is full valve assembly plus labour; engine out?

Hope you can get some goodwill from Toyota?

Yes, Ed - you have nailed it.

Not sure on engine out - but that is not a major issue.

If it proves necessary for a full engine-out rebuild scenario (and I deem it necessary) it will be done.

Eight hours, according to my dealer. So I've booked 'em - car goes in at 11.00pm and I get it back at 7.00am. 

Simple, innit... they charge as much as F1 mechanics so I want the same...

Spec K

It does seem the 3 cars I know of that have had the issue have been Autos. BRZ Rab was Auto? 

Hope you get it fixed soon! And do please still come to JAE. I might be there in the Yaris too. Touch and go with whether my car is going to be ready. 

We can be Yaris buddies.

No - George was manual.

He has his car back - n/a. He is as happy as Larry....

I have no courtesy car as I am still using mine.

Spec K

I am going to try to meet my 'meets'.

Haversack?

.... nice one, Stan..

Summit 4-point reference 2/4578 is my version.

But a top brace is essential - I would not recommend the lower without the upper (not necessarily the Summit but that's the way I've gone...)

And, if you are really focussed on ultimate front-end control - which I know you are! - the next step I would consider would be polypropylene bushes for the steering rack.. that nails a n/a front end to its best possible performance, subject to dampers. Not for wimps.

But that is only my opinion..

Spec K

Thanks Keith. Yes the top brace was always on the shopping list, should've mentioned.

As for the poly bushes... when you say not for wimps, I am a wimp, but nonetheless an intrigued wimp, please explain why.

Also, if I tighten up the steering response without any changes at rear, can I expect it to be looser at the back? I already decided against fitting a rear roll bar in fear that I'd be losing traction, making the handling much looser, or both.

There's some other options with the rear one of which I'm considering is Rear Swaybar reinforcement bars:

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_2/4648

Not sure what effect it will have. I saw a pair on Jordan's car ar Snet. Do you have them?

I do feel as though I should develop front and rear simultaneously since it seems reasonably well balanced at the mo.

Thanks

Haversack

Thanks Keith. Yes the top brace was always on the shopping list, should've mentioned.

As for the poly bushes... when you say not for wimps, I am a wimp, but nonetheless an intrigued wimp, please explain why.

Also, if I tighten up the steering response without any changes at rear, can I expect it to be looser at the back? I already decided against fitting a rear roll bar in fear that I'd be losing traction, making the handling much looser, or both.

There's some other options with the rear one of which I'm considering is Rear Swaybar reinforcement bars:

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_108/Category_2/4648

Not sure what effect it will have. I saw a pair on Jordan's car ar Snet. Do you have them?

I do feel as though I should develop front and rear simultaneously since it seems reasonably well balanced at the mo.

Thanks

Haversack

I wasn't just referring to the poly bushes as 'not for wimps' - which you certainly are not, the way you pedal your car about!

Personally I am not convinced that a stiffer rear roll bar is necessary for me/my driving style - but that is a subjective matter, I did not try changes when my car was n/a and I like the feel and controllability I now have with the Tein EDFC setup and standard front and rear rollbars.

Yes, I am fitted with the rear Swaybar links - I cannot say I felt an appreciable difference but it is a long time since I put them on (n/a) and I fitted Koni adjustables/ Summit rear topmount brace at the same time so it's difficult to be analytical of the one element..  I would certainly consider a rear topmount brace to match the front if I was in your position.

I suppose the only way to evaluate changes is to try 'em! I don't think steering rack poly bushes on their own will alter the handling characteristics of your car - they make the steering more precise and the car more 'pointable' (that's a comparison made by Adrian and Colin Hoad from CAT Driver Training of Pitman's vs my car).

I think Pitman has a slightly stiffer rear rollbar than standard - and I might try it at some time in the future.

But it will be next year as it looks as though I'm out of the TSS for the rest of this year -  the vvti parts (warranty honoured, by the way) are on back order and not expected until the first week in November... so if anyone develops the same problem be prepared for a two month wait...

Spec K

What error code did you get off the obd port mate?

Sorry James - I did not make a note of it...

Keith! I'm really sorry... I hope everything will be OK soon.

Thanks Teg. I am fearful of using the car now, in case the fault recurrs when I'm miles from home and the engine blows.. there'll be no warranty on it.. I will speak again with my dealers but I am not hopeful of getting a courtesy car for the two months it will take to get the parts...

Spec K

What have they actually ordered Keith? 

From what I understand with Rab was that they didn't really know what to try?

That's because they had tried most of the options. It seems to be:

1. A01 version ROM

2. Swap AVCS systems between banks to prove

3. Replace OCV on affected bank

4. Replace whole AVCS system on affected bank.

IIRC there's an "improved" whole new assembly (may just be new OCVs). Fitting/swapping any of the AVCS is an engine out job as you need full access to the head.

So a two month wait to get the parts and basically you cannot drive the car as it is at the moment?

That's it, in a nutshell.

Warranty claim has been approved for vvti parts. If I use the car and further damage occurs, it ain't covered...

Spec K

That's because they had tried most of the options. It seems to be:

1. A01 version ROM

2. Swap AVCS systems between banks to prove

3. Replace OCV on affected bank

4. Replace whole AVCS system on affected bank.

IIRC there's an "improved" whole new assembly (may just be new OCVs). Fitting/swapping any of the AVCS is an engine out job as you need full access to the head.

In a case like this, and all the others the above seems to be a seriously odd way of dealing with these style of warranty claims... I'm thinking Subaru will be dealing with this rather than Toyota even though it's a GT86...

In the ZR engine cases that we deal with if it was something like this we'd request at least the full head assembly back from both banks (the warranty would cover the replacement heads) and tbh in most cases we'd ask for the full engine to do a proper investigation.

Ohhh and a two month wait for the parts is just appalling... Bollocks to the parts being on back order, what a crock of s**t, they're still producing GT86's/BRZ's aren't they... No chance in hell it should take that long.

I'm sorry Keith, unfortunately I can't procure parts for this engine through our system for warranty, only the ones built in European factories, otherwise I'd try push it to get it sorted.

I am wondering though, are you sure the dealership isn't hoping for a "It's cured itself scenario"?

Keith, I'm sad you won't be at TSS for remainder of this year. Would be great to see you at Holiday Inn on 1st Nov for a drink or 3? Glad for you everything going through on warranty although it's a frustrating wait and bad timing in a sense with the season almost done. Hope to see you back on track soon at some other event perhaps.

As for choices on susp/braces etc. Thx will consider the rear brace given the 2 front braces going on. Certain more reaction and feel through the steering would be appreciated. Although the point with the wimp stuff is, I'm happy to drive like a tit in the slow/medium speed stuff, but when it comes to the really quick corners such as the ones coming up at Croft, any setup that leaves me guessing on what the rear's gonna do will just kill my confidence (and laptime). I had the back come round at nearly a ton at Blyton.... fun in retrospect let's say. And not very fast. As always with these things it's a question of try it out and see. Hopefully I'll learn something on the Sat at Croft - assuming that Adrian can fit me in before then - by no means certain. Another factor: had some smoke and fluid leaking from near the alternator yesterday. Left the car at the dealer for now. Hopefully just a split hose. We'll see.

Anyway mate, thanks for the advice. See you soon

Stan

Haversack

Update.....

Miraculously a new VVTI Controller - plus bits - has appeared.... and I must thank John Crisp (Service Manager at Hills of Woodford) for talking to TGB Customer Services and ".. making them an offer they can't refuse.." (not sure whose bed he put the horse's head in...) - from nine weeks lead time to three days...

My car is now in the workshop. It's a race against time to see if the whole lot, plus Fensport remap, can be completed before Croft... but everyone is focussed on it..

I've got everything crossed.... my legs are squashing something I'd forgotten existed...

Spec K

Har!  I agree... it gives me a chance..

... but a huge amount of good mechanicing/good provenance/good luck needs to happen between now and next Wednesday and it's a situation where money is not the issue, it's where goodwill might make the manhours available...

(.. Ian, any spare horses heads going cheap?...you know all the best stores in west London...  it's your choice, man....)

(.. ten seconds...)

Oi! - have you chosen, man.     ?

Okay, Nursey..... I'll take the pillls now...

Spec K

Mebbe -  " come up with the goodies or we will beat you over the head with a blunt torque wrench..." ?

He has a very persuasive way with words, does John... took lessons from Riceburner, I reckon...

Spec K

Just reading through this thread and it's lead me to ask a question... could this misfire at idle also be related to the Direct Injector seals?

I saw something on YouTube explaining issues found in the US on FI cars  "blowing" these seals?