smudge

Smudge's supercharged V8 build

So errrr...this happened!

20150626_202524_zpsu7dlycqr.jpg

20150626_202547_zps8yzgl4vm.jpg

20150626_202536_zps3cxw1du7.jpg

Don't worry! I haven't lost the plot! Simply a temporary measure while the Rays are off to be sprayed. These are some wheels my Mrs had in the shed for her RX7

Interior is also gone to be sprayed the same colour. Looks a bit bare inside

20150626_211253_zps9yyzkzom.jpg

All will be revealed in time for Trax

Been busy today getting ready for the weekend

- Anodized front bells are finished and being collected later this week
- New bolts to hold the bells and front discs together
- New rear discs and DS2500 pads ordered (could have used the discs and pads that came with the rear STi calipers but decided to just pay out for some new ones rather than redrilling the discs)
- 18" wheels sorted from a mate for Saturday so I can actually get to and from the garage

All this means that the brakes are FINALLY going on!

Had an issue with the rear discs yesterday where we thought they had the wrong height which was causing the inside of the disc to rub on the caliper at the rear

20150705_122912_zpscgsod4yl.jpg

It's literally out by like 1mm so I think it's the extra paint on the caliper where the mounting holes are is causing it to stick out slightly more than usual and hit the disc. So we're gonna sand down the caliper where the mounting holes are to go into the hub by half a mm and see how that goes.

Unfortunately my mate who was helping me isn't around for over a week now so more waiting to be done

Fronts weren't done either as the temporary wheels catch the caliper on the spokes and we didn't have any spacers

Right, Monday should be the day! We know what went wrong last time and we're determined to get it done 3rd time lucky smiley36.gif

Just need to source some 3/5mm spacers for the front wheels or perhaps some different front wheels as the temporary ones don't go over the huge front calipers, my Rays are still at the bodyshop and my new wheels aren't going to arrive in time!

Finally, some success today!

Front brakes on, AP Racing 6 pots with 362mm discs

20150713_101943_zpsyrkggcxz.jpg

Which JUST fit over the 18" alloys

20150713_154646_zps9q3qdsjt.jpg

20150713_154634_zpsw5kkl0e5.jpg

20150713_135342_zpsycbhrexb.jpg

20150713_135333_zpshxrxvwhg.jpg

So pleased with them. I can't wait to get my proper wheels on and get shot of these temporary ones

Unfortunately, we had a other problem with the rears. Despite filing the paint off the mounting surface of the calipers

20150713_114851_zpsi4uhvoqy.jpg

The disc was still catching the inside of the caliper and actually part of the metal around the handbrake shoe as well. After getting the micrometer out and measuring the bores, the EBC discs I bought were slightly out and we're slipping into a lip which is designed to hold the disc in place, making it sit inside too far into the hub and catching the caliper. You can see the lip on the hub in the picture below

20150713_125851_zpsrsk3evvc.jpg

So after a lengthy call to EBC it turns out I've been sent the wrong discs and we need to get GD1511 which is only in 5x114.3...so I'm on the hunt for the dual-drilled DBA's but they are so hard to find in stock anywhere! Might just get the correct EBC discs and get them redrilled...

So I got home half happy with my day. Fronts look and feel fantastic, rears...not so much. 3rd time lucky next time!

20150713_154622_zps4hfj8tua.jpg

I can't stop looking at them :) so pleased with how they look and can't wait to see some proper wheels over the top of them along with the rears

Correct discs ordered today (3rd time lucky!) so hopefully get a chance to put them on next weekend as Trax is taking up all my time this weekend coming

Another large box of goodies arrived today ;) update this evening when I'm home

From what we could see Nige, the EBC disc was sitting too far onto the hub due to the extra height and causing it to rub on the inside of the disc bell and the outer part of the handbrake shoe mechanism. The OEM disc seemed to stop on that little lip, but most likely was a little thicker as it would obviously need to be flush against the hub

Anyway, proper discs on the way! Fingers crossed that we FINALLY get what we need

Some better news today, my bodyshop sent me a few pictures of my new colour scheme  :D  are you ready for this?....

FB_IMG_1436980975005_zpsn4bjysyr.jpg

received_10153413504456067_zpsgguixw7m.j

And a video showing how the colour changes with the angle that you look at the object!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Hopefully picking this lot up Saturday but the wheels won't be going on for Trax as I want to coat them in some Nano-sealant which means leaving the paint to cure for a few weeks to ensure it's properly hardened

Been an exciting (but expensive!) few days ordering parts in preparation for the build

Mark at Abbey has been a star in answering all my questions and guiding me through this with his extensive knowledge. The car will is booked to go in for the work on 17th August where we will be installing:

- HKS 2.1l stroker kit (pistons, rods and crank)

- HKS cams

- HKS 1.0mm head gasket

- HKS heat grade 9 spark plugs

- Upgraded Walbro fuel pump

- Upgraded oil pump

- Asnu 500cc injectors

- Setrab 16 row oil cooler

- Xtreme HD clutch

- Xtreme lightweight flywheel

- ARP engine and head bolts

- Moroso sump baffle plate

And most importantly...

- Sprintex 335 supercharger!

The 210 kit was great and will shortly find a new home with a new forum member. It's done me so very well for almost a year but I want bigger and louder!

I appreciate the 335 isn't to everyone's liking due to more efficient systems such as the HKS v2 and some new developments like the Harrop and Cosworth, but I like to be different and that whine is just stupidly addictive

Mark and the Abbey team will need the car for a number of weeks which means she may not be ready for JAE

Watch this space people! ;)

Interior parts fitted

20150718_121105_zps0hvbro45.jpg

And all cleaned ready for the trip up to Silverstone for Trax tomorrow

20150718_130312_zpsvbi2zxrl.jpg

Wheels will be remaining off for a few weeks to allow the new paint to properly cure and breath before adding some Gtechniq C5 sealant and hopefully fitting before Japfest 2 in August

BRAKES ARE FINALLY DONE!

Before

20150725_094223_zpsj3y3qika.jpg

During

20150725_101723_zpsl8b7gc7m.jpg

After

20150725_110316_zpskkz1fong.jpg

And the finished product!

20150725_115845_zpsy5wtrty6.jpg

Obviously haven't had a chance to test them out properly but the pedal feel is much firmer with the HEL braided lines and when I was bedding the rears in it was very surprising how quickly it lost speed. Going to be fun on track!

Today was a good day, track wheels have tyres on them ready for Japfest 2 in a couple of weeks and also brought my new daily wheels home before a good clean in preparation for Simply Jap tomorrow

20150801_171546_zps4x1mlacc.jpg

New Weds Sport wheels from track use. 18x9.5 ET35 weighing just 8kg each

20150801_200619_zpsczg79atl.jpg

20150801_200739_zpscavqqkug.jpg

And then test fitted the new daily wheels, JR11's also in 18x9.5 but ET30 so a very aggressive offset which looks great

20150801_200651_zpsnbwa2guq.jpg

20150801_200718_zpsoc1bvl37.jpg

20150801_204020_zpstyuq4wnv.jpg

What tyres are you running on the track wheels?

Just my Hankooks off the Rays at the moment. Was originally going to wait for next year's MSA list so I can have a decent tyre for TSS and Time Attack next year. But that's just going to put my at a disadvantage for TA so I think I'll invest in some decent semi-slicks and then just use the JR11's for TSS so I can keep in the 1A list without having to change tyres all the time

Nice, so what are the grams lights going to be used for?

Just show wheels. They're so pretty I don't want to ruin them

Couple of pics from Beaulieu today - car feels so much better on the wider wheels with some decent tyres compared to those crappy temporary wheels I had on with ditch-finders

20150802_112645_zpsxmh0iorx.jpg

20150802_114726_zpswihiwxes.jpg

As usual she got a lot of attention. Not much will happen between now and Japfest 2 in a couple of weeks and then she'll got into Abbey on the 17th August. I want to get as close to 30k miles on the clock when she goes in so I'm currently playing a game to see how close I get. Currently on 29,612...

Was invited to the Show & Shine event at a show over in Swindon called The Annual Takeover today, and only went and won the bloody thing!  :D

20150809_165957_zpsnsue4e3w.jpg

20150809_144211_zpsf58ziaav.jpg

Car looked great in the sun, love this colour when the weather is good

20150809_113056_zpscjutevbc.jpg

20150809_143816_zpsdjpmimwd.jpg

Well chuffed  :D