keelerad

Alternative Brake Pads

OK just got my car back from RRG Macc after it's 20k service (lovely and clean but a drive to Nottingham across the Peaks tomorrow will put paid to that :D )

Well apparently in the last 10000 miles I have hammered the front pads and they are now about 75% gone and rather just replace them with stock I was wondering if anyone has tried any after market pads for an equivalent price ?

Alec

I've been meaning to give Demon Tweeks a bell as they sold Nigel Greenway(?) the rentacar instructor guy who destroyed all of us in his stock car at the Blyton TSS this year, he couldn't remember what they were exactly but highly recommended them and told me to just ring up Demon Tweeks and ask what pads they sold Nigel.....but I'm sure he said they were the Freodo ones....just not sure which ones exactly.....weird thing is that there aren't any on their website for the GT86 or BRZ......either that or I don't know how to use their site :P

They aren't cheap though. PF ones are a bargain for an uprated material, about £60 IIRC. Always get great reviews and not noisy like most aftermarket pads.

Tbh, those and Stoptech are the ones on my list for road and track day use.

EBC Now do the Yellowstuff pad which we've used in the past and work well as a fast-road pad with some track use.

Prices are good also.

£69.99 for front

£47.99 for rear

Cheers

Mike Jones

Tuning Developments Ltd

I've been meaning to give Demon Tweeks a bell as they sold Nigel Greenway(?) the rentacar instructor guy who destroyed all of us in his stock car at the Blyton TSS this year, he couldn't remember what they were exactly but highly recommended them and told me to just ring up Demon Tweeks and ask what pads they sold Nigel.....but I'm sure he said they were the Freodo ones....just not sure which ones exactly.....weird thing is that there aren't any on their website for the GT86 or BRZ......either that or I don't know how to use their site :P

Keith, I am using Ferodo DS2400 front and rear - StopTech rotors (grooved) all round with K-Sport 8-pot calipers on front, standard calipers on rear. The pads weren't cheap (£240ish I think) but they are completely fade free on road and track and only squeal when I'm reversing..  :huh:

Spec K

Carbotech XP8s, front and rear, standard discs. (£170+vat for the fronts, £140+vat for the rears), although they gave me some kind of discount so it was slightly cheaper.

I used to run them on my old mk1 mr2 SC (aka the 'supernail'). They were great from cold, and resisted the heat really very well. I remember them being quite hard on the discs though.

We'll see how they go. From bedding them in yesterday, I can confirm that they stop the car. Quickly :)

I have no idea when we'll next be on track at the moment. All of the wet weather down here has left us with some house problems which need sorting first.

I'm in a similar situation, having talked to EBC at the Autosport show I'm going to try their yellowstuff pads

The correct part numbers according to the guy from EBC are:

DP41884R for front

DP41758R for rear

Apparently people are often quoted different ones for the '86 by suppliers but these are the correct ones that fit with the spring clips.

I'm also considering getting my disks skimmed at the same time (http://www.skimmydiscs.co.uk/) anyone recommend anybody with the kit to do this or got any idea of how much they charge.

Alec

Alex (Speedy) went for Carbotech XP8s which have an excellent reputation. Will reduce disc life though. 

I've had EBC Greenstuff before. Didn't find them good when they were cold though. Not my favourite pad. 

<... snip...>

I'm also considering getting my disks skimmed at the same time (http://www.skimmydiscs.co.uk/) anyone recommend anybody with the kit to do this or got any idea of how much they charge.

Alec

Alec,

Are you sure about skimming disks, Alec? 

I am totally averse to it, having had a failure with my previous Volvo, the n/s/f rotor fractured..

I've got a spare set of std. disks at Fensport - or are they at home, can't remember - make me an offer I can't refuse...

Spec K

I've had EBC Greenstuff before. Didn't find them good when they were cold though. Not my favourite pad.

I tried EBC greenstuff pads on my Fireblade - they were awful and gave a very uncertain wooden feel.

Ditched them and stuck with OEM Honda pads ever since.

Finally got round to calling Demon Tweeks and they supplied Nigel Greensall, the rent a car fella who wiped the floor of everyone at the TSS Blyton round last year, a set of Ferodo DS2500 for about £270.62 for both front and back.  Nigel think that they're that great that he's on his 2nd set already.

Anyone know if there's a way to search for these brakes without having to search for GT86 or BRZ's?  Do these cars share the same type of pads as any other vehicle?  I'm actually in need of some brake pads myself.

Alec,

Are you sure about skimming disks, Alec? 

I am totally averse to it, having had a failure with my previous Volvo, the n/s/f rotor fractured..

I've got a spare set of std. disks at Fensport - or are they at home, can't remember - make me an offer I can't refuse...

Spec K

Alec we can skim discs but will have to check the min thickness & measure to see if we have enough to play with.

Min Thickness is showing as 22mm on front discs,i suspect this may not allow enough,i will check with Gary in the morning

Pop in tomorrow and we will have a look if you want?

Richard

Fronts are the same as a WRX I believe, although I can't remember which one. The discs certainly are so I assume the callipers and pads are likely to be. Rears are Legacy GT. Look at an obvious brand and look up the discs and see if the part numbers match, then you know you can do the same for all the others.

I use the DS2500's, same as Nigel.

They are very good on the road but I find that with track use they fade... but this is after exceptionally heavy continuous use. What has made a significant difference was Fensport cleaning out the slots on the front rotors... lesson learned. 

For some reason the squeal like a stuck pig when I'm reversing.... or mebbe I should look behind me...

Yeah, the american's don't seem to like the EBC stuff either (Yellow or Green stuff).  How are the Carbotech coming along now Speedy?  I really can't decide......

Well my Racing Driver Friend from Mazda Rotary Parts has come up with some Brake Pads for me :)

He says I only need to change the Front ones,as the back ones will still be ok & so he has chosen me HKS Hawk Performance HP Plus Pad's & the only down side to me at the moment,is that they are £140 for a pair :o

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance-street/pads/hp-plus

Let us know how you get on. We had Hawk pads on our old DC2 (a few years ago now) and they were excellent.

The stock pads are a similar price to that anyway.