speedy

GT6 Anybody?

LOL....you weren't joking about the damage.....that thing looks absolutely battered....like someone's come along and just started battering the car with a hammer all round  :lol:

I wonder if it might be better to limit it to sport soft tyres as then you will not have such a high probability of rolling the car. Also putting slicks on a stock road car is not something anyone would do really, for obvious reasons!

actually people would do it. WE don't because we deal with things like rain and snow and cold weather. if that's not an issue, there are plenty of people who would fit a slick tyre.

but i did fight for just a standard car with standard tyres, so we could see who could really get the most out of the car.

unfortunately, i was overruled so here we are. with people going full throttle through bends they should never be able to get through at anywhere near those speeds.

so let's make that the next challenge. fastest lap on the standard tyres.

I'm fine with sticking with standard tyres... we could always have 2 lap boards - standard and standard with whatever tyres (probably race soft for everyone).

For what it's worth, I'm convinced a sub 8 minute time is possible with race soft tyres.

PP limits might be worth considering, then we'll all have arguments about the best combination of mods to add, say, 30 or 50pp to standard. Turbo vs lightening, bit of both maybe?

Standard everything's probably easiest to regulate.

There must be getting close enough numbers for a virtual meet, too?

Managed that once on GT5. Of course, the BRZ reigned supreme that time!

no need for PP limit when using a courtesy car. just choose the car and go.

and Lauren: slicks aren't road legal HERE ;) over in the US of "do whatever the f*** you want" there is no such limitation (in at least some states) :)

Interesting... I am not a 'gamer' so I cannot speak in that respect..

... but it was a great lap, Jonny.

What was interesting (technically) to me was that your 'apexing' in a left hand drive car was dodgy on right hand bends.. indeed, you went over the kerb/threw dirt up on one yet on others you were a metre off the apex... and it now begs the question whether the same problems beset me as a right hand driver... or is it the 'controller' that you use..?

Car looks out of control in many places (lifted both inside wheels at one point..). Suggests you left your braking too late, went into the turn unbalanced and this led to lack of outturn speed. Remember Bruce McLaren's golden rule.. "slow in, fast out" and I reckon you could shave seconds off that time..

Let's all club together and buy a simulator... fifteen of us.. would only cost a hundred grand each... (err, that's 119,584 Euros..)

Spec K

you're assuming i'm using the in-car view :) i use bumper cam so i'm right in the middle.

and one of the occasions i know where i "missed the apex" by a metre, was because i completely forgot to brake before the lefthander right before it. so i'm just happy i didn't end up in the wall on that righthander.

i do know my lap is far from perfect. i'm pretty sure i can shave plenty of time off if i get everything absolutely right.

i'll post another replay if i ever get it down to 7:45 ;)

There must be getting close enough numbers for a virtual meet, too?

Managed that once on GT5. Of course, the BRZ reigned supreme that time!

Yup, but then it was only you and me and I was having a rubbish driving evening... tbh, I'm not that great versus REAL people on Gran Turismo...

And we don't need to buy a simulator SpecK, there is one just down the road from me in Chandler's Ford --> http://www.theracecentre.co.uk/

question to Lauren and SpecK (and other veteran racers):

how the BLEEP do you get through turn 1 at Brands Hatch quickly? I either wash completely wide, completely miss the racing line, or i go through in grandma mode (= very very slowly)

I thought this was going to be a thread about the 6 cylinder 2 litre Triumph Spitfire coupe variant from years gone by.

I had a Spit and came close to converting it to stroked GT6 spec using a 2.5PI motor from a TR6.....sadly it was destroyed by a van before I had a chance to do the swap.