rob275

Winter tyres

Be interested to hear the outcome of this winter tyre challenge! I am set to buy mine on Friday and you're testing both of my options! Keep us posted please :D

Ah, I was wondering about the price difference there but I'm doing a "keeler" and stepping down to 16"s, too much chance of real snow up here ;)

But again, I'm more convinced by the tread pattern on the GY's than the Nokian A3's

It's not really the snow, it's the low temps. What I'm finding is that my winter tyres (on last Friday) seem to be horrible if the temps are over about 8C, but tend to generate grip where the Primacy's feel like their on ice in lower temperatures. This does seem to be the case in recent days when the temp has been as low as freezing.

Conditions have been cold, damp and greasy and the winter tyres do seem to be more grippy and surefooted.

Time will tell and I'll write up more about them in due course once I've managed to experience the more severe weather where I hope they'll offer a significant advantage.

Lauren, did you not use winter tyres last year??

I completely agree, changed my wheels over the other weekend but not driven much on them this winter. Last winter they were 100% much more excellent when travelling more than crawling pace and handled the snow with no trouble :-) 

I also find they are able to clear massive quantities of water as well - very good for water the hedges by the side of the road!

Speedy, you can "speak from experience" that the standard tyres were fine in the snow but there are people on this forum (and across the globe no doubt) that got stuck in the snow on standard tyres while I've not heard a single person get stuck anywhere on winters... so far...

Will, I'm worried by the 'My Tyres' website, as they state that the tyres they sell 'as new' may be up to two years old! That, I'm afraid, has put me right off them..

My local guy (LFA uses them as well) has offered me 'Matador' winter tyres (made by Continental) for a GT86 ex stock at £125 fitted.  Which is a mystery, as I can't see a 17" tyre on their list - mebbe their UK website is out of date - I'll go and have a look at them tomorrow.

Spec K

Will, I'm worried by the 'My Tyres' website, as they state that the tyres they sell 'as new' may be up to two years old! That, I'm afraid, has put me right off them..

My local guy (LFA uses them as well) has offered me 'Matador' winter tyres (made by Continental) for a GT86 ex stock at £125 fitted.  Which is a mystery, as I can't see a 17" tyre on their list - mebbe their UK website is out of date - I'll go and have a look at them tomorrow.

Spec K

I only linked the My Tyres website as that was where Fatrab was looking. I ordered mine from: http://www.oponeo.co.uk which is actually based in poland. Would have used: http://www.camskill.co.uk/ but they didn't have the tyres I wanted in stock. 

These might help with the 'Matador' tyres, although I can't see the standard gt size in the list: 

http://www.matador.sk/index.cfm?module=ActiveWeb&page=WebPage&s=mp92p

http://www.matador.sk/index.cfm?Module=ActiveWeb&page=WebPage&s=MP59

I've used mytyres loads of times, never had any bother with them but I was conscious of the 2 year thing. They've always been quick to deliver and don't seem to advertise stock which they can't deliver, I've had that problem with tyresite in the past.

Speedy, you can "speak from experience" that the standard tyres were fine in the snow but there are people on this forum (and across the globe no doubt) that got stuck in the snow on standard tyres while I've not heard a single person get stuck anywhere on winters... so far...

Why would you put that in quotes? Of course I can only speak from my experience. I did plenty of miles on them last winter in the wet, damp, snow and generally miserable weather and I didn't really find them wanting.

Also, I'm not quite convinced that nobody ever got stuck while wearing winter tyres (where the tyres alone would have made a difference).

What I am saying is that IMHO it's not always worthwhile changing tyres for winter. If you want to do it, I'm not going to say it's a waste of time, but the standard tyres aren't that bad. I was in Eastleigh last year around Christmas (doing loads of miles ploughing up and down the M3 / A31) and then around the Farnborough / Farnham / Odiham area, and when the snow came down it was still driveable.

Certainly a lot more driveable than my old Exige in the snow.

Why would you put that in quotes? Of course I can only speak from my experience. I did plenty of miles on them last winter in the wet, damp, snow and generally miserable weather and I didn't really find them wanting.

Also, I'm not quite convinced that nobody ever got stuck while wearing winter tyres (where the tyres alone would have made a difference).

What I am saying is that IMHO it's not always worthwhile changing tyres for winter. If you want to do it, I'm not going to say it's a waste of time, but the standard tyres aren't that bad. I was in Eastleigh last year around Christmas (doing loads of miles ploughing up and down the M3 / A31) and then around the Farnborough / Farnham / Odiham area, and when the snow came down it was still driveable.

Certainly a lot more driveable than my old Exige in the snow.

Speedy, I put it in quotes because I'm lazy and didn't bother to quote your whole post...

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your intention to merely point out that you thought the standard tyres are fine in crappy conditions, rather than to tell everyone that winter tyres are a waste of time...

In my experience I felt 100% more comfortable on my winter tyres than the standard ones last year - more from a point of view that I was much more certain I could avoid any incidents if I had to, rather than wanting to drive like a bat out of hell regardless of how much snow there was on the road...

While I do agree that it is not always worthwhile changing to winter tyres - i.e. winter a few years ago was very mild and we barely got any frost, let alone ice and snow - if it is forecast to be very cold and there is a risk of ice and snow, I would say they are worth it for a variety of reasons - not least protecting your OEM wheels from exposure to salt corrosion!

I would say they are worth it for a variety of reasons - not least protecting your OEM wheels from exposure to salt corrosion!

I've had too many arguments with verges and kerbs while avoiding busses in and around the Warwickshire countryside to worry about that now :)

I've never had winter tyres before, so I'm generally intrigued to see how I get on. I'm currently working around the Staffordshire moors so it is pretty remote in places and prone to getting snow and slippery conditions going on last years experience.

I will write up how I get on with them.

I used (part worn) winters for the first time on Jan's car last year (it was an Astra) and the difference was night & day, hence why I'm so keen to get it right on the BRZ. The mistake I made last year was that I left the winters on too long and they degraded very quickly when the conditions improved.

I've never had winter tyres before, so I'm generally intrigued to see how I get on. I'm currently working around the Staffordshire moors so it is pretty remote in places and prone to getting snow and slippery conditions going on last years experience.

I will write up how I get on with them.

I used (part worn) winters for the first time on Jan's car last year (it was an Astra) and the difference was night & day, hence why I'm so keen to get it right on the BRZ. The mistake I made last year was that I left the winters on too long and they degraded very quickly when the conditions improved.

Firstly mine are a higher profile and because the tread moves around a bit more the handling does feel softer and less instant, I've also found they are very sensitive to temperature and the result of using them too aggresively when the weather is too warm is high wear rates - hence why they're supposed to be used in the winter only...

Lauren I would be interested to hear how you get on as a "new convert" to the winter tyre massive - it looks like it should be cold enough for long enough this winter for you to get a full picture of their performance...

I visited my local dealer today. Despite the Matador website not listing the 225/45/17 winter tyre he assures me they are made and he'll have them there to fit for me tomorrow morning. (Nokians are rarer than rocking-horse sh*t, as they are in short supply, allegedly..)

I probably won't fit the winters until next week - they are going on my OEM rims which, like Speedy's, have argued with kerbs, roundabouts and poles. ( Poles? .... and the occasional Romanian, possibly ..). Be interesting, as we have to fit the hubcentric spacers at the same time to allow brake clearance.. not tried that yet...

(Rob - how do I get the system to 'ping' me a PM when someone's sent me a message via the Forum?)

Spec K

Just fitted my Yokohama winter drives today so need a bit of bedding in for about 70 mile then I will be set up for whatever weather will hit in the next few months.They are the 18ins version of what Lauren has I find them Awsome in ice/snow.

So after mucho timeo spent investigating my shortlist of tyres has now grown to 3! I'd like your opinions please as I'm really torn between these:

Nokian D3

Dunlop SP Winter 4D

Goodyear Ultragrip 8

There's only £8/tyre separating them so price isn't really worth factoring into the decision so if anyone can give me the benefit of their experience i'd appreciate it!

Cheers!

I fitted mine yesterday - Matador 225/45/17 on my OEM rims (I need Eibach hubcentric spacers to clear my K-Sport brakes with OEM rims, works just fine..). £125 each incl. balancing/fitting.

I'm starting at 32psi all round... may drop this to 28-30psi once the tyres are run in... and soften up all my shocks.

It's not really cold enough to use them darn sarf yet but I was impressed with their performance through damp/standing water yesterday. Very, very stable - they obviously clear water very quickly, hope they work as well on snow/ice..

Spec K

I fitted mine yesterday - Matador 225/45/17 on my OEM rims (I need Eibach hubcentric spacers to clear my K-Sport brakes with OEM rims, works just fine..). £125 each incl. balancing/fitting.

Off topic: Spec K do you have any pictures of the K-Sports with the standard wheels on?

Looks aliright. :+:

Though I've found them better in colder temps, as soon as it's over 8C they are just hopeless. I've got no confidence in their grip. 

I'm going to weigh up over the winter period the temperature because if it's over 8C more than it's not it raises the debate whether winter tyres are worth it really. 

We'll see. 

It's a trade off Lauren, and yes, it's about weighing the odds. However I remember that Auto Bild did a test the other year that indicated that while winter tyres were around 10% less effective than summers in warm weather, conversely summer tyres were 50% less grippy when things got nasty.

In my case with only one car that has to get me around regular trips across Lancashire and Cumbria for work it's a no brainer and I wouldn't risk not having the winters fitted, particularly on a rear-wheel drive car. Even in the Octy vRS with front wheel drive I was convinced of the merits of winters when a bit of ice on a side road with a slight incline coming onto a main road led me to be unable to stop before sliding into the traffic on it (thankfully missing a taxi by inches).

Tbh they are a lot worse than 10% less effective than the Primacy's in higher temps. 

I need to get around too, but temperatures over 7C (the temps at the moment are lower than average) make me wonder if I should have waited a fair bit longer before putting the tyres on as temperatures at the moment haven't been low enough really.  If that's the case then it's worth having the winters for Jan/Feb, but two months a year is a pretty short period!