rob275

Winter tyres

I was using Dunlop Wintersport 3D last year when it was snowing. My house is half way up a quite steep hill and it managed to climb it without any issues whatsoever.

Haven't actually used them at all this year though as it's been too warm  :)

5 degrees here at the moment... frost is just starting to disappear, I've not been out yet.

I have to say that my winters are the best 'wet weather tyres' I have ever experienced on a road car. They clear standing water without any aquaplaning at all.. and I'm talking deep stuff, not just casual...

Spec K

Utterly disappointed in the complete lack of snow so far, starting to wish I hadn't bothered buying them now! Still, I'm heading up proper north in 3 weeks, they might still earn their worth!

Yeah, it's not been cold enough for them. Temperatures are still in working range for the regular tyres, so am struggling at times. I guess the next month or so will see if they prove their worth. Only thing is, it doesn't snow where I live. 

I'm generally finding that I would likely be better off on Primacy's as the temps are high where I live (Manchester). I'm sure we'll eventually get a cold spell, but I do wonder if I need winter tyres for even two months of the year. 

Where do you live?

I'm using a set of Michelin Alpins 205 50 17 on some old WRX alloys, they make a huge difference in wet and cold conditions. I'm thinking they may make a good set of Sprint tyres in the TSS this year, great grip from cold and excellent in the wet.

I think you might overheat those and badly Mike were you to use them for sprinting.

I must admit, I don't slide around too much on mine as I'm constantly worried about wearing them out in the higher temperatures we have. I'm also struggling with having any confidence in them in the wet or dry. I notice they are better when it's cold, but it just hasn't been cold. Mind you they are borderline okay in the temperatures of 8C we're currently having, but anything over ten and it's no fun at all.

I agree they would be useless on a track day, I'd wreck them after 3-4 laps, but the Sprints are only one lap, which is why a winter tyre may have the advantage. It's worth taking them to the first event and trying them on the warm-up lap to see how they perform against the Primacys.

Hmm, I'm actually starting to warm to my winter tyres. They do seem to generate good grip as long we're in single figures temperature wise and are surprisingly grippy in the wet. 

I think my initial problem has been that due to them losing a bit of feel over the Primacys, it has taken me a while to acclimatise. I think that for a while I've struggled with less feel in the steering and that has been a problem in helping me to ascertain the grip levels. 

Lauren I'm glad you are starting to warm to the softer feel of the winter tyres, its all that tread block movement due to the sipes which makes them feel softer and less responsive - the grip is there it is just not as obvious as with summer tyres...

I also agree with both what I have said earlier and Spec K and Lauren have confirmed that winter tyres cannot be beaten when it comes to clearing standing water and general wet weather performance!!

But I would like some slightly colder weather so I don't have to worry about how fast they wear out... (not that they are wearing very fast but you know what I mean)