rob275

Winter tyres

What sizes are people going for?  I thought that I might be able to avoid getting them this year again as my lil sister was going to go off for another ski season so I'd use her car for snow days....but now she might not be going so I might have to get them now......even though I'm skint  :(

Yokohama W-drives, in 205 55 16 I think - this is one of the sizes specified in the handbook :-)

Winter tyres were good last year, only just getting to be cold enough for them to make a difference down here in the sunny South though...

I've just bobbed mine on this morning - Hankook I*cept 215/45R17 on the OEM rims. Ok it's borderline temperature wise at the moment, but I had a few hours spare this morning as I'd washed it.

Even put my folding shovel in the boot - all ready for whatever the winter throws at me!

Yokohama W-drives, in 205 55 16 I think - this is one of the sizes specified in the handbook :-)

Winter tyres were good last year, only just getting to be cold enough for them to make a difference down here in the sunny South though...

You mean 205 55 17? 

Nope, my winters are on 16" Subaru alloys, same as one of the Keith's I think... They are 205 width, definitely 16" but not sure 100% on profile... I'll maybe have a look tonight.

Dunlop 3D's. 225/45 17. Wrong size, I know, but had them from my Octavia. 2 winters, wasn't gentle with them and still a good 6mm after approx 12k miles. Still can't believe how good they are in the snow, was doing hill starts for the fun of it in fresh snow! Put them on a set of standard rims I picked up for 160 quid.

Yokohama W-drives, in 205 55 16 I think - this is one of the sizes specified in the handbook :-)   Winter tyres were good last year, only just getting to be cold enough for them to make a difference down here in the sunny South though...

16" rims? I, too, saw that in the handbook and it confused me.. Spec K

I realise that the conventional thinking is to keep snow tyres narrow... I've got a standard set of rims (which require spacers due to my oversize brakes) or I can use my soon-to-be-redundant 8" Blitz rims... like Sideways I am based dahn sarf. Would you stay with std 7" rims or go with the 8" rims?

Spec K

I'm just going to use my standard wheels as they are sitting in the garage doing nothing at the moment. Will give my time to interrogate why the hell my tyres are cutting in to my suspension...

One of the advantages of going to 16" rims is that it tends to make a huge difference in price on the winter tyres themselves (compared to the differential between 16 and 17/18 summer rubber), and I went for an old set of 16" alloys for my winters on my Octy vRS (that normally ran 18" summers) due to this. I also had some Dunlop 4D's last year that were great.

This time around with the GT I took advantage of the RRG deal on 17" oems with Yoko W-drives fitted as it was easier than messing around looking for a decent set of 16" rims on ebay and then paying extra for tyres to be fitted. Also, I tend to agree that the issue with winters is more to do with how narrow they are than the size of rims per se, and the standard 215 width of oem's is fine in my eyes.

Anyway, I took advantage of a sunny morning and some free time to swap my wheels over yesterday (which went fine except I forget the fold up metal chocks around one wheel were still there when I drove afterwards and now one of them is more of a lie down design!). One thing I did wonder about though is tyre pressure. I've gone with the recommended one for the car (35psi / 2.4bar all round) but wondered if a little softer would be better? Mind you, doesn't pressure reduce naturally with temerature anyway, so once it starts getting really cold they will be softer?

Ahh i see, i assumed standard wheels as you said it was in the handbook, Assume poverty spec in Japan has 16" wheels? Do they even get snow? lol

I think you can get a GT86 in Japan that comes with 16" steels, its not the "poverty" spec, its the "I'm going to modify my car so I want a cheap one to start with" spec although it is less expensive it does without some of the glitzy bits modifyers change straight away anyway - i.e. alloy wheels.

And yes, they get a helluva lot more snow in parts of Japan because they have actual mountains as opposed to the large hills we have across most of the UK. (Admittedly there are some mountains in Scotland, I left my flame suit at home :P )

Panda's are in China, Macaques in Japan, enough snow for ya ? :D  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=590_mhAuZhc

Japan is basically a load of mountains with some flat bits where everybody (except the monkeys!) has to live   You need to watch Initial D, to see the great Mount Akina Alec

Well yes of course they get snow... Obviously mountains will have snow on them, even in Australia but I meant like in Tokyo for example, have they ever had heavy snow? As i'd imagine it'd come to a complete standstill. I love how off topic this has become :P

Let me embed that properly for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=006ip4ndThE

Now as a moderator I have to ask you to consider keeping threads on topic, having considered it you can then write what you want as long as its amusing

Oh and that Panda doesn't have winters fitted

Alec