Paul

Brakes

On 10/02/2017 at 8:35 PM, Lauren said: To be fair, you should get a lot more than 20K miles out of stock discs and pads. I got 37K out of my first set. 

Either it's me or MK roads, every car I've had has warped a set of discs at least once, these are pretty badly lipped too so I was expecting to have to replace them this summer anyway, was a little cheeky chucking another set of pads in.

I think the constant 70mph-0-70-0 of roundabouts really doesn't help, as any more than 3 high speed stops kills most standard pads.

If be very surprised if you have warped discs. Have you actually confirmed they are by checking runout?

Ive done quite a few trackdays on the stock brakes and got them so hot the pads smeared pad compound unevenly all over the disc. The brakes judder a lot for the next 100 or so road miles and feels just like an old school warped disc when cars used to have non vented solid discs that could warp easily with uneven heat.

Stock pads, especially if you have the soft ones fitted to reduce squeal, will melt relatively quickly.

Is the smearing of pad compound visible?  When I was at Oulton, I started to get a little bit of judder through the pedal at the start of a session, but as the session continued, the who car started to judder.  Then after a cooling down, back on track and repeats, started off light and got progressively aggressive.  Once the track started to dry out, I was on the brakes a bit harder which meant a lot less juddering...to the point that I could tell if it was the same juddering or just normal vibrations at that point.....any ideas?

The oem pad smearing was visible on my discs yeah.

I removed my front oem pads at 22k, expecting them to have loads left after reading here - and was surprised to find they were quite thin! If I'd have done another trackday on them it would have been an early finish to the day.

Sorry didnt see this. Yes pad smearing, if bad enough leaves lines on the discs and you can feel them by running your finger over the surface of the disc.

Here's my stock disc after destroying project Mu HC800+ in two track days 

20150603_200531_zpslvvoeb0s.jpg20150521_093705_zps7jme3kvr.jpg

After my recent trackday the brand new 2500 and standard disk judder mainly down to deposits. Is there a way to clean this off or will normal breaking for a while clean this disk?

So to follow on from my post above I have decided not to mess about and look at BBK and get one. The article below is an interesting one and at the moment the stoptech is favourite the 328. Can anyone confirm this fits under a standard alloy?
Also looking at the Tarox kit aswell

https://www.japspeed.co.uk/tarox-toyota-gt86-subaru-brz-326mm-front-big-brake-kit.html

https://www.pointmeby.com/2016/09/24/which-big-brake-kit-bbk-should-you-get-for-the-brz-frs-gt86-86/

What about Tarox? Rob had a good review. They are quite a bit cheaper. I am also considering BBK as my first mod on a new car. Planning for max 5-6 track days a year (wish could do more but fairly unlikely). Heard good words about AP Racing, so still undecided.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have emailed them to ask about their brake bias and whether they have dust boots. They seem like a good option as the brakes fit under standard rims according to the link above I posted.

I can speak very highly of the AP racing ones, as I have them - great for road and track. Regarding the bias, I haven't noticed any difference in handling. Just much much better braking, and no squeal!

However you could get the tarox brakes and a new set of wheels for the same price I would expect.

I'm not sure you could, Reyland Motorsport have AP brake kits for the GT86 for just under £1500, which is not much more than Tarox are asking.

If track use is considered, i'd probably would get AP Essex Sprint kit. it won't just give higher heat capacity and lighter weight, but it's rotors & pads should last twice as long, letting save on wearables in long run. Also should be easy enough to get different vendors/compounds pads in that shape. I'm not that sure that if saving on wearables & common pad shape was high in priority list for many of other BBK kits.

Otherwise i'd use stockers + airducts.

Yeah I was looking at consumables aswell. It is mainly for road / track work (5-8 a year). I was using standard disks ds2500 and gt3 ducts on a Hot day and was braking quite hard and they just came apart.
My considerations are:

1. Fit under standard wheels
2. Dust Boots
3. Brake Bias
4. Consumables

AP are on my list but just looking round at others at the moment as AP are pricey.

Yep very true. However they are one of the pads that don't squeal like mad or chuck have a ton of dust everywhere. Every other pad that can do track and road do that. Having separate pads is the other option but consistently changing them in and out would get annoying. So thats why Im looking BBK's.

Yeah I was looking at consumables aswell. It is mainly for road / track work (5-8 a year). I was using standard disks ds2500 and gt3 ducts on a Hot day and was braking quite hard and they just came apart.

My considerations are:

1. Fit under standard wheels

2. Dust Boots

3. Brake Bias

4. Consumables

AP are on my list but just looking round at others at the moment as AP are pricey.

Are you considering just front kit or both front and back? And how much difference does it make? Looks like your considerations and short list us just like my, but clearly you ve done more thinking and research .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'm not sure you could, Reyland Motorsport have AP brake kits for the GT86 for just under £1500, which is not much more than Tarox are asking.

I think these won't be the ones that fit under the stock wheels. I paid a bit of a premium for that.

14 minutes ago, Bfranklyn86 said:

I think these won't be the ones that fit under the stock wheels. I paid a bit of a premium for that.

Yup, Reyland use a wider caliper (CP5200) and a wider disc (28mm) compared to the "official" AP Kit that uses the CP6628 Caliper and a 26mm disc.