LFA

LFA's Blog

Can you only go 69 on a built motor? What out puts are you looking at? Are you full de cat?

You will over spin the charger any smaller than that. You'll possibly have to lower the limiter to run even a 69mm pulley.

So is 75 the smallest you can go on a stock engine?

No, but the issue is intake temperatures. You'll start hitting a wall between the 72.5 and 75mm once the charge temps rise and they do, quickly.

High compression combined with high cylinder temperatures is a cause of knock, which is why I assume that Ed has gone for reducing the compression as it makes the heat element less critical. You lose power by dropping the compression ratio but then by increasing boost you'll make up for it and be better on the engine.

Can a uprated oil cooler help Steve?

With oil temperatures, yes. Will have very little bearing on the cylinder temps though.

Cooling the block itself a little may help by reducing water temperatures but when you're force feeding air at 70C+ not much can cool the intake charge down. The coolant itself is usually at 80-90C.

I think we'll spend some time with the current charger first. :)

The 'plus' version is still planned, which should help with temps.

Can't remember seeing any builds with the big charger, but I'm a bit off the pace on FT86 Club at the mo ;)

I dont go on any of these forums much these days. I was thinking the the bigger SC with a larger pulley might help with charge temps too.

Fair enough. Looking forward to see the dyno when its finished.

It does seem a bit of a shame to reduce the rev limit. But a supercharger will turn into a hairdryer beyond a certain point. 

Would an air-air intercooler help to cool the air more effectively than the water to air setup you have under the supercharger at the moment? 

I just wonder how effective that is. 

It does seem a bit of a shame to reduce the rev limit. But a supercharger will turn into a hairdryer beyond a certain point. 

Would an air-air intercooler help to cool the air more effectively than the water to air setup you have under the supercharger at the moment? 

I just wonder how effective that is.

With the smaller pulley there's no issue with a lower rev limit as the torque is everywhere. Its also not purely a heat issue, the unit itself has a 15k RPM limit.

Air to air would probably be better, but there's no way to do it with this setup. I don't think the laminova core is particularly efficiency at transferring heat, however it is much better than nothing at all.

I dont go on any of these forums much these days. I was thinking the the bigger SC with a larger pulley might help with charge temps too.

Fair enough. Looking forward to see the dyno when its finished.

You'd need a large pulley to bring the 335 down to 210 boost levels, it's also heavier due to it's larger size. I'd also imagine it would take more power to drive it. I think the 210+ is the happy medium to be awesome on this car, which I am tempted to switch when they come available.

With the smaller pulley there's no issue with a lower rev limit as the torque is everywhere. Its also not purely a heat issue, the unit itself has a 15k RPM limit.

Air to air would probably be better, but there's no way to do it with this setup. I don't think the laminova core is particularly efficiency at transferring heat, however it is much better than nothing at all.

I suppose it just sounds like heresy reducing the rev limit when you tune a car! I like revs too much and would prefer it higher. It does seem that the intercooling is the limiting factor here. Air to air would be better of course but you'd have to change the whole configuration. 

I'd expect moving the cooler and changing the pipework would therefore increase lag - charged air volume is greater, resulting in a greater volume of air to be compressed to get the same boost...

What I like about the sprintex is the change from low in the rev range and relative linearity of the torque - I found Mark's car very predictable in the short drive I had of it.

Lauren, if you like revs, you might as well go turbo for more power ;)

Ermm possibly but the terms for parts I'm afraid not.

The charger gets power from the crank pulley, turning the screw's with push air though the laminova coolers. Ermm rough idea.. Wrong? Is the compressor the screws rob?