DuncanM

225/45/17 tyres?

Hello, 

I thought this would be an obvious modification but haven't seen much talk about it? 

It certainly open up the tyre options, and I don't think 225 is too wide.

Love to hear from people on here, only had the car since Sunday so won't be doing much to it yet, however it does have Prestivo tyres all round, which I have no knowledge of. 

Screenshot_20200924_083416_com.android.chrome.jpg

pros of 225/45/17 - it's more common sizing, and in several cases due that tire set might be cheaper then of our stock sizing of 215/45/17.

slight con - while it's still safe to run 225 tires on our stock 17x7 wheels, there will be no risk of tire debeading from wheel, some extra sidewall sloppiness will increase. Some people preferring sharper steering feel usually tend to go to narrower side from tire width range safe for wheel width, via slight stretch.

No comments on Prestivo tires, never heard about them. My own preference is to get from top tires in class i wish to get them of. In my eyes tires & brakes are most important bits on every car, and not worth compromising/saving on.

9 minutes ago, Church said:

pros of 225/45/17 - it's more common sizing, and in several cases due that tire set might be cheaper then of our stock sizing of 215/45/17.

slight con - while it's still safe to run 225 tires on our stock 17x7 wheels, there will be no risk of tire debeading from wheel, some extra sidewall sloppiness will increase. Some people preferring sharper steering feel usually tend to go to narrower side from tire width range safe for wheel width, via slight stretch.

No comments on Prestivo tires, never heard about them. My own preference is to get from top tires in class i wish to get them of. In my eyes tires & brakes are most important bits on every car, and not worth compromising/saving on.

Thanks for the reply Church, I agree regarding tyres/brakes, however I also like to me objective when it comes to tyres, having had success with brands like Kumho in the past.

Regarding the Prestivos, I'll have to see how they fair in the winter months 🙂

Never heard of the Prestivo tyres myself either but I’m running Maxxis Victra Sport VS5’s at 225/45/17 on stock and are excellent and half the price of the generally recommended Michelin PS4’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18 minutes ago, SimonG68 said:

Never heard of the Prestivo tyres myself either but I’m running Maxxis Victra Sport VS5’s at 225/45/17 on stock and are excellent and half the price of the generally recommended Michelin PS4’s

Simon this is brilliant news thank you! 

Why do I say this? Because I've been looking at the Maxxis for a while now, and plan to put them on my Cerbera 🙂

Digging around, the Prestivo tyres are part of the yokohoma family, which is not awful news. 

The Maxxis are almost a copy of the PS4’s and at £50 a corner cheaper was a no brainer imo....
Had them now for 6/7 months and about 7000miles (daily use) with no issues and hardly any wear...

If your still on the stock wheels, just run 215's with a better tyre. As @SimonG68 says either the Michelin PS4 or Maxxis VS5.

Wider tyres doesn't directly equal more grip. 

I have run atleast 3 or possibly 4 sets of 225/45 tyres, but only on a 8" rim, 7" is too narrow really.

On a 7" rim a 225 mm tyre is possible, but 7.5" or larger is preferred. The circumference will increase by 1.4%, so 100 mph will become 101.4 mph. No problem in my opinion.

By the way, I just checked the specs of my 2017 GT86 and found out that the rim size is specified to be 7.5j. I wonder if this is part of the upgrade...

Jay: AFAIK "normal" MY2017 still has 17x7 (though of different looks). It's if with performance package (brembos, shocks and different wheels), then also 17x7.5 wheels for brake clearance.

24 minutes ago, Church said:

Jay: AFAIK "normal" MY2017 still has 17x7 (though of different looks). It's if with performance package (brembos, shocks and different wheels), then also 17x7.5 wheels for brake clearance.

Hereunder I attached a copy of the relevant specifications page, as found in the car manual. It's in Dutch, but I'm sure you'll find "17 x 7 1/2 J" right from "Wielmaat".

749668918_GT86Manual.thumb.jpg.0e479d3cea32947edb6609b17b448ddf.jpg

Very interesting Jay. Either Dutch cars came with different rims or its a 2017 MY change. Mine is a 2015 MY. Everything else is same except wheel width. See attached.

Do you mind sharing a pic of the wheels on your car?
20180806_191958.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Very interesting Jay. Either Dutch cars came with different rims or its a 2017 MY change. Mine is a 2015 MY. Everything else is same except wheel width. See attached.

Do you mind sharing a pic of the wheels on your car?
20180806_191958.jpg

My car is in my profile pic. 😁

Personally, I'm going Michelin PS4's at 225/45/17 to test. We'll see, maybe this is a mistake and I'll regret it for sidewall flex... but considering it's upgrading from the Primacies, it's probably unlikely I'll even notice the flex.

Edit: Just ordered the tyres. I'll update once fitted and can compare vs the primacies :)

Personally, I'm going Michelin PS4's at 225/45/17 to test. We'll see, maybe this is a mistake and I'll regret it for sidewall flex... but considering it's upgrading from the Primacies, it's probably unlikely I'll even notice the flex.

Edit: Just ordered the tyres. I'll update once fitted and can compare vs the primacies
Lovely. Please update us on how you get along.

What year is your car and what wheels are they going on?

My car is in my profile pic. 
Looks the same wheels as UK cars. I now think people have not looked at their manuals and UK cars will also be 7.5 wheel. Curious. Anyone with a 2017MY happy to share a pic of wheel spec from their manual please?

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

Looks the same wheels as UK cars. I now think people have not looked at their manuals and UK cars will also be 7.5 wheel. Curious. Anyone with a 2017MY happy to share a pic of wheel spec from their manual please?

Better to look at the actual wheel it will be stamped on it. 

5 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Would be interesting to know. 

11 hours ago, James- said:

Edit: Just ordered the tyres. I'll update once fitted and can compare vs the primacies :)

FYI, Michelins have quite soft sidewalls.

11 hours ago, Lauren said:

Better to look at the actual wheel it will be stamped on it. 

Great, I didn't know! I suppose it's somewhere on the inside?

Meanwhile I found a slightly newer Manual of the 2017 MY, at the site of the importer. This manual reads 17 x 7 J. I guess the early manual is wrong, as all other versions mention 7".

17 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Lovely. Please update us on how you get along.

What year is your car and what wheels are they going on?

Going on a 2019 (December 2019) Blue Edition... not sure that matters, wheels are standard 7" just black and look a bit fancier 😛
But will update, they're going on Tuesday