Tweedbean

tweedbean's Porsche RS Green BRZ Build

Also you will get some noticeable power gains if you get a map now the front car is removed. Best thing to do for a Na car and properly removes the torque dip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, sam534 said:

Also you will get some noticeable power gains if you get a map now the front car is removed. Best thing to do for a Na car and properly removes the torque dip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed but thats £500+ towards a turbo setup so for now I'm not too fussed with the way things are so will bank that as im now putting money aside for that.  

Yesterday I had the day off so decided to wire up my amp for the sub.  Super easy, as there was plenty of space to work in.

Upfront in the engine bay I fitted the 4AWG wire through a big bung behind the battery, down into the passenger foot well.  Then I ran the wire under the sill trim, theres a perfect channel for it, due to the wire being thicker at 4awg, I shaved some little tabs but this had no affect on refitting the sill cover when done.  The power wire then tucked up under the rear side panel and into the boot.

50431262336_be2c3490b9_c.jpgAmplifier wiring by James Baker, on Flickr

I removed the two rear bench seats, held in with one single 10mm for each cushion.

The ground wire I bolted to one of the rear seat bolts.

The remote cable connected to the back of the headunit, I dropped down near the glove box and tucked it under the centre console on the passenger side, out under the carpet at the rear and into the boot.

Finally I ran 3 sets of RCA cables from the back of the headunit, one for the sub, the other two for front and rear speakers when I finally fit some new ones, saves me pulling the headunit again.  These I tucked up under the centre console on the drivers side, out under the carpet at the rear and into the boot.

I cut the rear foam section to sit the amp in the back left hand corner, it allowed me to keep all the power wires to the passenger side and audio cables coming in from the drivers side to avoid any interference.  Stuck down for now with super strong double sided tap, it looks pretty neat and plenty of access when required.

50430570918_86a813e59d_c.jpgAmplifier wiring by James Baker, on Flickr

I went for a stealth setup as you can see below I lose no boot space as it all fits under the OEM boot carpet, after this photo I fitted a speaker grill to stop anything hitting the top of the sub or rubbing against it.  Ignore the wet mark in the middle of the carpet, it started to rain while I was working on the car so it got a little wet but all dry now.  

50430570738_9e5c2ec329_c.jpgAmplifier wiring by James Baker, on Flickr

It makes such a difference with just adding this over the stock system, I need to pick out some speakers and an amp for the rest of the car, just waiting on some custom rear speaker mounts I have had made to better use the space back there too.  When I do the speakers I will also lay the Silent Coat throughout the car.  

Next up is the exhaust, thats being fitted today, dropped the BRZ off at a place in Bham that will do it as I'm not a fan of crawling under a car when both ends are jacked up, will leave that to the professionals.

A quick update so the car went in for the Invidia N1 exhaust to be fitted, while there I decided to have the following exhaust setup as I had all the parts in the garage:

Engine > Borla UEL(Already fitted) > Milltek Overpipe > TD Decat front pipe > Invidia Resonated Midpipe > Invidia N1 back boxes

I would say this is on the extreme level of volume, especially on cold start which will need to be mapped out at some point, even I can admit cold start sounds awful.  But once that drops, its has a nice tick over burble, then when you put your foot down it has a very deep tone with that Subaru rumble, I would say it sounds exactly like an Impreza STI minus the turbo noises.  This setup isn't for the faint hearted but this car is a toy for me, I dont have a commute, I have 3 other cars to drive if I need something more sensible, so the noise doesnt bother me in the slightest, I love it.  

I removed my rear diffuser lip to make it easier for the garage to fit the exhaust, so I need to refit that, also its going to take some getting used to seeing the angled tips that point to the sides, as per the design:

50440058463_6a16074fbd_c.jpgInvidia N1 fitted by James Baker, on Flickr

Here is a quick sound clip, so drastically different from stock, its not for everyone.  I wanted that UEL rumble and I certainly got that:

A comparison between stock and this setup if you need a reminder:

At motorway speeds, it is very noisy, it may not have helped I had the rear seats flat as I had the stock exhaust system in the car, which does fit :)  Will let you know once I close those seats to see if it makes much of a difference.  As part of my audio upgrade I will be covering the boot and rear seat area with Silent Coat 3mm which should help reduce that noise in the cabin and improve the audio setup.  

Also I ordered up a set of 3D printed larger rear speakers mounts, to remove the useless 3" rears and fit a pair of 5.25" speakers.  Not decided on the speakers yet but the mounts are here and look spot on:

50439981343_2c3ee6d1fb_c.jpg3D printed rear speaker brackets by James Baker, on Flickr

Hmmm, I had similar total lack of silencers (plus supercharger) and my cold start was LOUD too, but not with the unpleasant tone yours gives. Is that 'ticking' noise just the camera mic being slightly distorted or is the sound a good representation?

Perhas the UEL makes the difference with the cold start - although when revving it sounds so similar to mine (I'm surpirsed how little difference there is between the EL and UEL listening to that).

1 hour ago, Adamd said:

Hmmm, I had similar total lack of silencers (plus supercharger) and my cold start was LOUD too, but not with the unpleasant tone yours gives. Is that 'ticking' noise just the camera mic being slightly distorted or is the sound a good representation?

Perhas the UEL makes the difference with the cold start - although when revving it sounds so similar to mine (I'm surpirsed how little difference there is between the EL and UEL listening to that).

Yeah that ticking is linked to the mic from what I can see, adjusting for the sudden loud change of noise from nothing to the car starting as you can see it quickly goes within 2 seconds of the car starting.  If that was linked to the exhaust it would continue throughout the video or atleast cold start sequence.  Cold start sequence needs to be mapped out as there are no cats to warm up so its pointless.  

I have to say the video doesnt do the exhaust justice, especially with high volume noises, its tricky to capture on a camera vs what you hear in person.    

Where did you order those rear speaker mounts from? Also are you going to modify the original speaker grills to allow bigger speakers to fit?

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Where did you order those rear speaker mounts from? Also are you going to modify the original speaker grills to allow bigger speakers to fit?

Hi they were from someone called Thomas on Facebook, it came from a recommendation from another GT86 owner that had purchased a pair from him.  https://www.facebook.com/tomasz.osadzinski.3/

He is happy for you to contact him directly, I checked before sharing the above link.

In terms of the grill I havent measured the stock grills yet to understand the size difference.  I will get everything lined up and see where I get/what the options are. 

Had some good news RE the history of the car.  As it was a write off, I received no paperwork including history when purchasing it.  I did some chasing today with a local dealer to find out if it has had the recall work done.  They confirmed it had been done by a dealer in Cornwall, so I gave them a call and they were really helpful.  

A month or two before the car was written off it had the following:

- 6 year service so spark plugs etc

- Valve Spring Recall

- Power Steering ECU and Wiring Harness Recall

So the above saves me a lot of time, money and effort as its all been done.

In other news this arrived this week from Mods Society, Australia.  Its an auto mirror folding kit which im looking to install this week and hopefully record a fitting guide:

50505674921_73f55ab14f_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

What a transformation, really happy with how my BRZ turned out this year, I cant take many positives from 2020 but this is certainly one of them for me.  Thanks to Adam Ball for sending me this photo below.  From a white write off in March before I purchased it, to how it sits today, what to do to it next, no short term plans other than drive it right now.  

49647203388_c229c0b2da_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

50662312317_3bd88a59c8_b.jpgPhoto taken by Adam Ball by James Baker, on Flickr

Hi all, its been pretty quiet over the winter.  I've just been enjoying driving it even if its just popping to the shops, which is about all we can do right now.  No short term plans for any major changes, just little tweaks here and there.  I plan to do a walk around video soon covering the current state of play.  

I also have a new instagram account to follow my BRZ build, I'm currently doing a recap from day 1 to now for anyone interested:

www.instagram.com/tweedbean_brz

Time for a little update, so this year I have just enjoyed driving the BRZ, I love that it just works with no fuss and even though its my slowest car its full of drama.  I fitted the Mod society auto fold mirror module, it works perfectly and fully recommend it. Install video here 

I do need to try and get to a show or two in this as it feels like forever since I've been to anything like that.

Last week I decided to give it a good clean and get some up to date photos as it sits right now:

51414335929_836d1c869b_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

51414336639_4537dd927e_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

51414567630_811aeba94b_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

51414335934_8a805be36d_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

51412839357_25322b06f3_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

51413852098_356b54179f_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

I have no major plans to change things, maybe a few minor mods here and there over the coming months as I am currently going through a house move which is taking a lot of my focus right now plus I have a couple of other projects on the go.  I plan to upgrade the speakers all round at some point and I need to space those rear wheels out a little.

For those that want to see the car in more detail, feel free to give my latest video a watch:

So its been a long time since I updated this thread, the house move took a lot longer than expected, we ended up selling our house but pulling out of the purchase due to being messed about for 7 months.  We ended up purchasing another house in only 4 weeks.

I have enjoyed driving the BRZ recently as it came out of storage as we had no where to keep it while we were in between houses.  Certainly missed this car and went to commute in on Tuesday, when disaster struck midway through my commute.  A lorry on the M6 dropped what I could only describe as some sort of tie down strap right in front of me, with no time to avoid it, my front driver side wheel went over it with a big bang, seconds later the front end felt very light so I pulled on to the hold shoulder to find this, note that chunk out the lip was cause by this, the wheels were perfect before I set out:

52019790799_2121e08688_o.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

52019790804_01ee4cdd96_o.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

There must have been a metal hook or something on the strap that burst my tyre and took a chunk out of the lip.  Annoyingly no spare wheel mean't it was recovery time, I let them know the car was low with a front lip and they said no problem, will send a low loader.  An hour later they turn up with a normal tow truck who could see straight away he had no chance.  So they sent a second one and the guy was amazing, was used to moving some exotic low cars so had everything he needed.  Many chocks of wood later and the BRZ was loaded:

52019582918_671b636ae9_o.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

He dropped me straight home and took just as much care getting it back off again.   I have planned for a while to get air suspension for the BRZ and actually fitted it to my Mini as a test before I got a set for this and while stood at the side of the motorway I actually negotiated on a set of nearly new Air Lift Performance struts off a GT86 show car so we like new.  I just need to pick up the management side of it now.  Its the exact set up on my Mini so I know what to expect and for how I use/drive my cars its perfect for me:

52019582913_a1e0211986_o.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

I will get the car up on my quickjacks this week and get the wheel off to my local wheel place to fix the lip and fit a new tyre.  Cant wait to get going on the air setup:

52019582923_0eec40e981_o.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

Bad luck on the blowout but good that it didn't cause more widespread damage.

I know that feeling when you drive over something that you could not have avoided in time.

14 hours ago, MartinT said:

Bad luck on the blowout but good that it didn't cause more widespread damage.

I know that feeling when you drive over something that you could not have avoided in time.

Yeah I had a similar experience with a mini where a pickup dropped a lump of concrete which proceeded to crack my sump and spill all the oil.    Ha reading this back it sounds like I tailgate everyone with no stopping distance, not the case. 🤣  

Nearly at the end of my BRZ journey, putting back to pretty much stock hasnt been fun but unfortunately it was worth more parting it out.  I will be putting up a proper for sale post once its 100% ready, but if anyone is interested feel free to drop me a DM.

53569354834_34b9829fa1_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

53568181257_1616ccd944_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

53569471965_e726fb80c5_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

53569231118_9139c4a6ee_b.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr