willclarke

Rear end (diff?) juddering slow turns

Hi looking for some help here please, recently took my 86 to dealers for 40k service, which included a diff oil change. Immediately after getting it back, turning left or right out of junctions (say around 90deg slow first gear turn) theres now a heavy rumble feel and noise, can feel it through the wheel and seat and feels like it's coming from the rear.

I called the dealer to check how much fluid they put in and the technician said filled it to the brim (sounds right reading up online and fensport advice).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm reasonably sure it's the diff, but in what way I've no idea.

Long and short of it is it basically now feels like I have a welded differential.

Any help appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I went through this. Gotta give RRG Mac credit, they went to the ends of the earth to sort it for me. First off we changed it again but it still did it. We then changed it again, but with a fresh barrel in case the original was contaminated. Still had the problem. Then, Rich imported some thinner diff oil from Japan. He put that in and it sorted it, no more issues. Apparently it’s a really rare problem, and he’s only come across two or three like it. 

@Riceburner can give a bit more info I’m sure. :)

Brill, thanks! Can someone tell me what diff oil to use? I'm going to fensport this week as I think they use different stuff.

Assuming it didn't cause any long term issues to yours?

There is nfo on oil used in our cars in manual IIRC.

# (OEM gearbox oil:     2.2lr   API GL-3 SAE 75W-90 | Toyota Genuine MG Gear Oil special II )
# (OEM w. LSD diff oil: 1.15lr  API GL-5 SAE 75W-85 or GL-5 SAE 75W-90 | Toyota Genuine Differential Gear Oil LT )

GL-3 is some very old standard, so more modern GL-4 of similar viscosity can be used. If you don't wish to find different oil for tranny/diff, Motul 300 Gear Oil 75w90 can work for both, as it passes both API GL-4 & GL-5 standards.

You may also need:

+ Rear Differential Drain Crush Washer  Differential drain plug gasket: TOY1215710010 @$1.50 each
+ Rear Differential Fill Crush Washer   Differential fill plug gasket: SU00300122 @$2.30 each
+ 2 Crush Washers for the transmission  Transmission fill/drain plug gasket: SU00303626 @>$11 each

Though on these i've seen notes like: "Diff crush washer is also re-usable. Had no issues with my change. The engine crush washer on the other hand is an always replace item."

This thread might be of help for DIY. When/if changing gearbox oil worth to remember not under or overfill, as it may change shifting to worse. As it's by oil level to fillhole, double check if car is level during oil change.

12 hours ago, Lowe said:

I went through this. Gotta give RRG Mac credit, they went to the ends of the earth to sort it for me. First off we changed it again but it still did it. We then changed it again, but with a fresh barrel in case the original was contaminated. Still had the problem. Then, Rich imported some thinner diff oil from Japan. He put that in and it sorted it, no more issues. Apparently it’s a really rare problem, and he’s only come across two or three like it. 

@Riceburner can give a bit more info I’m sure. :)

Yes, Richard mentioned it to me saying that there may be some juddering from the change in spec to the diff oil, at least that was my understanding. He mentioned about you noticing it, but said I probably wouldn't notice it and to be fair I haven't. 

I'll get fensport to look at it next week. Toyota aren't going to put non-"spec" oil in, even if it'd sort the issue out.

Its pretty shitty just navigating streets in towns and its vibrating and hopping all over the place!

Just now, willclarke said:

I'll get fensport to look at it next week. Toyota aren't going to put non-"spec" oil in, even if it'd sort the issue out.

Its pretty shitty just navigating streets in towns and its vibrating and hopping all over the place!

Toyota aren't putting 'non spec oil' in, they have another oil that Richard got in from Japan that is an alternative, so the specification has changed. 

Sorry I meant what they've put in now would be to a spec that they're following, if I wanted something other than what's just been put in there I doubt they'd do it themselves? Gonna see what oil Richard mentions

Toyota aren't putting 'non spec oil' in, they have another oil that Richard got in from Japan that is an alternative, so the specification has changed. 

16 minutes ago, willclarke said:

Sorry I meant what they've put in now would be to a spec that they're following, if I wanted something other than what's just been put in there I doubt they'd do it themselves? Gonna see what oil Richard mentions

Yes, you would think so, but YMMV  when it comes to different dealers. Certainly check with Richard. 

32 minutes ago, willclarke said:

Reckon there'll be any permanent damage running the wrong oil for about 800 miles now?

Why do you think you have the wrong oil? Toyota have changed the oil they are using, but I've noticed no difference. If they put the wrong oil in then they would be liable. 

Hi I don’t think there will be any damage done, I had this exact problem also.I must have done over a thousand miles , before I changed the diff.oil for motul gear300 75w-90. This gear oil completely eliminated the low speed judder whilst turning at low speed. I can only guess that certain gear oils from toyota cause the diff to lock , at low speed turning and it gets worse once warmed up. But don’t worry Change the diff oil and your good to go.

Thanks!

Hi I don’t think there will be any damage done, I had this exact problem also.I must have done over a thousand miles , before I changed the diff.oil for motul gear300 75w-90. This gear oil completely eliminated the low speed judder whilst turning at low speed. I can only guess that certain gear oils from toyota cause the diff to lock , at low speed turning and it gets worse once warmed up. But don’t worry Change the diff oil and your good to go.

So Toyota just phoned me back after phoning them with the new differential oil part number kindly supplied by Rich.
They said they put the correct differential fluid in in the first place, and that none of the UK gt86s have limited slip differentials!!!?

Not that this will help much but my2017 has always spun the inside wheel when pulling out of junctions. It's very subtle but once you hear it you'll always notice it. Should I mention this at the first service due in a couple of weeks? 

Spinning the inside wheel is pretty normal for an lsd and my 86 did this before the above happened. It's now however as though I'm also driving over a big rumble strip every time I pull out of a junction !

Peterborough Steven Eagell . Heading there this afternoon.
If they didn't think these have lsds, would explain why they've put this incorrect oil in so I guess it adds up.

So Toyota took the car back today, were a bit disgruntled by the looks of it to 'sort it out' but I'm pleased to say the new diff oil has done the trick and there's no more rumbling! For info the part number to quote to Toyota when going for your diff oil change is T08885-81070, thankyou to Richard for supplying this part number.
Cheers all