Samwise

Bringing an 86 back from the dead

7 minutes ago, nikndel said:

If they are from the US they will need some changing the fog light is sometimes a 3rd brake light as I'm not sure if they run rear fog lights in the US

Yeah as said the V light will need a little bit of work to get working as a fog light but it shouldn't be too difficult, a quick google brings up a few tutorials.

The 2 main lights should work without any problems as its just Sidelights, Brake light and indicators.

Just now, Samwise said:

Yeah as said the V light will need a little bit of work to get working as a fog light but it shouldn't be too difficult, a quick google brings up a few tutorials.

When I did my 3rd light I found someone from OZ land all the US ones on You Tube didn't show a rear fog option

17 minutes ago, nikndel said:

When I did my 3rd light I found someone from OZ land all the US ones on You Tube didn't show a rear fog option

I'll have a look at what happens when I plug it in as is and crack out the soldering iron if i need to :)

I was hoping for the V to come on with the side/parking lights and the Triangle to work as a fog light

3 minutes ago, Samwise said:

I'll have a look at what happens when I plug it in as is and crack out the soldering iron if i need to :)

I was hoping for the V to come on with the side/parking lights and the Triangle to work as a fog light

4 minutes ago, Samwise said:

I think if you just plug it in bearing in mind there is a same as oem plug the V and triangle will come as rear fog and reverse as per normal but when you get round to fitting them let me know how you get on👍

Didn't get alot done today, drilled out a few spot welds on the last few damaged pieces but the drill ran out of power :lol:

Visited the local toyota dealership today and left them a lovely list of part numbers I need ordered, waiting to hear back from them on Monday!

Got the rear lights fitted but theres a funny little problem with them, the rear indicator and sidelight wires are mixed up, meaning the rear lights blink with the hazards and the indicators stay solid. Going to sort this out by popping the pins out the connector and swapping them over but they look so good!

20180310_150721.thumb.jpg.7e1893d73ca1bb188aed3fde2097ada9.jpg

Tested the new V light too its as you said Nikndel:

On 08/03/2018 at 11:08 AM, nikndel said:

I think if you just plug it in bearing in mind there is a same as oem plug the V and triangle will come as rear fog and reverse as per normal but when you get round to fitting them let me know how you get on👍

So i've opened up the back of the V light and im going to tap the V LED bar in to the side lights of the rear light clusters, didn't get any before shots but you can see here i've soldered the  connection for the LED bar (light blue cable) in to a bit of wire that i'll run up to the rear light clusters. Yes this is the extra length of cable that comes with the light to make the fog light flash like an F1 brake light. I hate the thought of that "Feature" so I figured i'd just reuse the cable for my own use! :D

20180310_161513.thumb.jpg.66733b32cc050286399a6723e6489707.jpg

Going to plug this back in tomorrow or next weekend to test it as well as sort the rear light clusters, think i'm going to be waiting a while for parts from Toyota unfortuantely.

Sorted out the last bent bit on the front end today and got the rear lights buttoned up.

Going to replace this part of the arch I removed and then hopefully the horizontal bit coming off the chassis leg shouldnt be too far out

20180311_113934.thumb.jpg.8cf3f0b2068d981828dc3389270aad09.jpg

20180311_113944.thumb.jpg.8c12c1ede175c4190b2177a71f511623.jpg

Got the pins swapped out on the rear lights and they work now too! Tried to fit the fog light but its a total pain to get to with the OEM exhaust in the way and the bolts for it being so rusty.

20180311_122507.thumb.jpg.a8026bcf6f8d5e1909bd4c0409f22f49.jpg

Does anyone know the legality of having the V come on with the headlights? The Triangle is still very bright so should pass as a fog light okay.

21 minutes ago, Samwise said:

Sorted out the last bent bit on the front end today and got the rear lights buttoned up.

Going to replace this part of the arch I removed and then hopefully the horizontal bit coming off the chassis leg shouldnt be too far out

20180311_113934.thumb.jpg.8cf3f0b2068d981828dc3389270aad09.jpg

20180311_113944.thumb.jpg.8c12c1ede175c4190b2177a71f511623.jpg

Got the pins swapped out on the rear lights and they work now too! Tried to fit the fog light but its a total pain to get to with the OEM exhaust in the way and the bolts for it being so rusty.

20180311_122507.thumb.jpg.a8026bcf6f8d5e1909bd4c0409f22f49.jpg

Does anyone know the legality of having the V come on with the headlights? The Triangle is still very bright so should pass as a fog light okay.

As shown in the picture is fine, quite a few members have theirs modded like that.

As long as you can switch the triangle on and off to act as the fog light you're fine.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

As shown in the picture is fine, quite a few members have theirs modded like that.

As long as you can switch the triangle on and off to act as the fog light you're fine.

Good stuff, sorted the fog put yesterday so it should be all good.

Progress somewhat continued this weekend with the repair of the 86.

Gatecrashed the Gt86 meet at the Garderner's arms this Saturday in my Subaru where I was able to meet a few of you and have a good look at what the car should look like as well as ordering lots of goodies to start getting the car back in one piece!

Took a trip down to my local Toyota dealership who had some parts waiting for me mostly consisting of new front end crash structure/rad support parts, as well as a few other bits including the headlight brackets, rubber radiator pipe and replacement headlight washer.

Set about getting those painted today:

7sKAZEc.jpg

sdq5cBd.jpg

So I spent today painting them so they were atleast red so they wouldn't stand out too much in the engine bay, the finish isn't great and the colour match isn't perfect either but it will do for now. Once all the other brackets, covers and bolts are on it shouldn't be too noticeable (I hope) as you can tell I had a very professional paint booth set up! 

EzdyoKe.jpg

That's all for now. I've also placed orders for everything I need to finish up the car with the exception of wings, bumpers and headlights.

I ordered a set of Airbags/Seatbelts and Airbag ECU from a breaker on Ebay.

I've ordered a Seibon Carbon fibre bonnet from amber performance. I've also ordered a few other goodies including replacement aluminium radiator, radiator fans, blinker relay (needed for the valenti's), new smoked side markers as mine were toast, Mishimoto cold air intake as the OEM airbox was turned in to a jigsaw puzzle in the crash, Mishimoto intake pipe and a few OEM black interior trim pieces to replace the carbon wrapped pieces fitted currently all of which is coming from the US.

I Know the Intake bits won't really improve performance however with the OEM airbox and Maf pipe destroyed I felt getting new toyota parts would be more expensive than getting the aftermarket pieces. As well as this i've been considering getting an exhaust to fit so it's atleast a little nicer sounding once im all done and dusted, looking for something cheap as you can imagine after all these recent orders so i've been considering the untested and questionable Malian exhaust.

So another weekend and i'm back at it!

And it's time to start putting this car back together!

uAKbbGg.jpg

It was all fairly simple as it was a case of bolting on the nice new parts:

PnUq7MK.jpg

wuX09DT.jpg

7hbRjQ6.jpg

And that's it! smiley36.gif

Its all loosely bolted back in to place as some parts will need to come off again to have a couple of the spot welds re-done next weekend by my buddy

Went about re-attaching and fixing some of the various brakets and clips that hang on to these pieces:

20180407_134436.thumb.jpg.92bd4ba31cfc05cae972f2bfd403662b.jpg

Airbag sensor, old vs new. Had to replace one of them, as it was lost in a mess of folded up metal. Managed to get this one bent back in to shape and popped the sensor back on.

All done for now, once I get the new Rad, AC Condensor, etc I can start bolting those on as well as the new parts getting spot welded next weekend.

Unfortunately there were a couple more casualties from the crash, namely the Rad filler neck, bonnet latch & one of the O2 Sensors:

20180407_143845.thumb.jpg.1e26d6cf5dd09c4bb30d41ff65ce9526.jpg

rghZkaI.jpg

Already managed to source a new filler neck & rad cap for £30 and i'm trying to find a new bonnet latch mechanism but the o2 sensor could easily be £150+ so I think i'll take it off tomorrow and have a crack at re-soldering it.

Next few weeks are going to be exciting!

Received the New Front bumper, O/S front wing, O2 Sensor and Aircon Condenser today!

Also received confirmation of my big order from the US being dispatched, might be here as early as Friday if im lucky!

More parts today!

Got my massive order in from Ft86Speedfactory in the US, they shipped it on Tuesday and it arrived today!

Everything from a new Radiator, Radiator Fans & Cold Air Intake to interior trim pieces, magnetic sump plug and more!

Going to have a big update this weekend!

20180412_183343 - Copy.jpg

Got some progress done this weekend although there aren't many pictures im afraid.

Had my friend over to sort out the small bits of welding on the new front end pieces, this was fairly easy and clean on most parts but got a bit tricky for him where he was trying to weld the new thin gauge steel pieces to the much thicker pieces of the chassis legs, it's all welded up though and definitely strong but not the most pretty in those areas.

5QMa7Vr.jpg

ijjpkH3.jpg

While he was busy at work I was also busy.. in my own way smiley36.gif

1MhlXO1.jpg

Once this was done we got the new radiator, Radiator fans, AC condesnor and Rad filler neck fitted. Not the most difficult job in the world but I can now safely say without a doubt that I HATE those rubber radiator hoses!

V3ii8qb.jpg

3F34ZJC.jpg

All in all a pretty good day, there are a couple of small issues I need to get sorted out and then I can start bolting the crash support, washer bottle, etc back on.

Couple of issues I ran in to were the fact that one AC pipe is bent, going to give it a whack to see if i can straighten it out before buying a new one if need be and the lower AC pipe's O-ring is broken so i'll have to source a new one of those.

The more exensive issue is that 2 of the Cam Solenoid connectors are broken so I need to get 2 more of those too.

Still planning to have the car back on the road by the end of the summer, shame it won't be done before hand but with car tax on the subaru and other bills coming through this month it would be silly to try and rush things and push myself to live on a shoe string to get this repair completed.

Few more exciting parts today image.gif.6d872cd7e80d991d5869c04538ca37a9.gif

It was my Birthday today smiley4.gif so I had the day off work, excellent opportunity to take delivery of the Seibon carbon bonnet from Amber performance:

PDzWC4u.jpg

N3jZSLf.jpg

zRwzf9W.jpg

Ordered this a little while ago along with the new dash and airbags that should be arriving tomorrow finger's crossed!

Also got a few car related birthday presents including some new working gloves, bonnet struts and Mishimoto intake pipe for the 86.

5Kvjy9G.jpg

Spent a small bit of my afternoon just tidying up the engine bay ready for the next steps which is to fit the new intake and get the crash bar, washer bottle, etc all re-fitted before body panels.

I got rid of the extra bits that hang on to the intake, im not a fan of funneling intake noise in to the cabin and i'd rather have the engine bay a little less crowded. Speaking of which, does anyone know the torque specs for the crash bar bolts?

xcwGGT8.jpg

Got a new bonnet latch coming from Toyota as well however the 86 may need to take a bit of a back seat for a few weeks. Keep meaning to sort out a few issues on our Vx220 track car so gives me some time to save funds, wait for the new cam solenoids to arrive and so on!

Another update today, one with a few victories and some losses.

The

first victory today is that I was able to tweak the AC pipe's back in

to place which saves me having to replace them altogether!

I was also able to get the new bonnet latch and mishimoto intake pipe fitted, which smartens up the engine bay nicely.

GSiwDSN.jpg

fsbh5Ga.jpg

The half victory in this update is that the new mishimoto air intake is fitted after much faffing about with the MAF sensor and bending back the airbox bracket to shape to fit it. It's not quite 100% however as it clearly doesn't fit properly with the gigantic filter one, it was always going to be tight however I didn't expect the filter to make contact with the AC condensor. I may need to drop the AC condensor down on its brackets a bit and refit the filter.

RNkFfaz.jpg

v8zFfbc.jpg

And finally the defeat of today was that once beginning to fill the system up with coolant we ran in to a problem...

ThpWYoL.jpg

Thats right, a water leak. It appears the "Water Inlet" as the part is called, which appears to be a large cast aluminium water inlet manifold of sorts has a large crack, likely after taking a shunt in the crash... Nasty!

si0PFvH.jpg

xoZZyar.png

1 minute ago, MartinT said:

It was bound to have setbacks, but even so the quality of the rebuild is impressive.

Can you replace the water inlet manifold without taking the engine out?

Yeah, its not the end of the world and I was almost beginning to count my luck with how few setbacks I had.

Should be able to replace it with ease once the Intake Inlet manifold is off. it just sits under there, its part 16322 here:

xoZZyar.png

Another update and another big set back unfortuantely! This time

however it doesn't appear to be due to the crash so I guess there's a

silver lining somewhere?

I'll start off with the good bits.

Swung by Toyota again today to pick up some of the last few pieces I

need to finish the build, mostly plastic brackets, arch liners, front

grille, undertrays, etc. Nothing too exciting but I'm hoping to return

the car to as near as stock as possible at first so that there are no

major signs that the car had previously been in a crash. Not to throw

anyone off of course I Just like the silly idea of it being a bit of a

party tricky to reveal its history! smiley36.gif

So I went about tidying up a few bits today. Unfortunately the first job was to retrace a few of my steps and get the fan shroud back off to attack some of the brackets to hold the overflow tank, I hadn't done this at first as I rushed it a bit, my bad but It didn't take too long to fix although my hatred of those 2 M12 bolts at the bottom of the radiator support knows no bounds! They are so onbnoxiously close to the exhaust manifold and without a 12mm ratched spanner in my arsenal it turned a quick 20 minute job in to an hour!

vmoNKUo.jpg

That aside I finally bolted on the main crash support and went about fitting back up the washer fluid bottle and the lines required for this.

At some point in the future I want to ditch this washer bottle and move it to the battery location, in turn moving the battery to the boot but that can wait for the future.

lhVtlaW.jpg

Once this was done I went about fitting one of the new parts, the first of the 2 plastic undertrays, I guess it primarily serves as way to channel air through the radiator, this wasn't a particularly hard job and unfortunately I forgot to get a picture but with it fitted the car is beginning to look alot smarter. I think my next job would be to start fitting the new fenders!

Although unfortunately this will have to get pushed back a bit as a new issue has reared it's very ugly head...

Mould.

I'm not sure what happened during the crash but at some point something had begun growing in the rear passenger foot well. I always suspected there may be mould as the passenger seat has been a little fuzzy at times however I wasn't ware of how bad it was until I pushed the seat forward and had a look at the carpet and under the cloth of the seat.

In this picture I had already sprayed the mould with Dettol for the time being, it probably won't do much but just as a first means of fighting it until I can get something more suitable so the fast majority of it has dissapeared in the dampness of the dettol, it was looking alot worse before this picture.

D0Hl9xD.jpg

Unfortunately it seems pretty bad, atleast to me. the last few months have been pretty wet and the car lives inside a not very warm garage however I imagine this has been growing since before I owned the car.

My first plan was to remove the seat, let it dry out in the warm weather we were having today and then tackle killing and removing any of the mould as well as leaving the car open to dry out further. That should hopefully sort it however when attempting to remove the seat it appears someone has already tried it before me, emphasis on "Tried".

This was the state of both front seat bolts, the rears had no issues however as you can see the once torx headed bolts are now lovely and round.

Unfortunately I gave up on removing them, going to give it another go once I get my hands on some 6 sided sockets and a few other tools and some more time.

My next priorty is to remove this seat and start letting the car dry out to tackle that mould, once i've done that i'll get that water leak in the engine bay sorted and then its full steam ahead with bolting on new body panels!

pPnomVw.jpg