Gt86life

Best catback exhaust

Am looking to upgrade the exhaust.

I want a exhaust thats loud but not to loud to wake up the neighbours,

But still give it a nice deep sound.

This is offer topic but how does the red look on the gt86 or what colour is better.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

"Best" is very subjective, and you did good mentioning loudness, as that is subjective thing too. BTW, if you'll tune ECU, then it's possible to ask tuner to tune out "cold-starts", which are usually the ones, that make loudness issues most, especially on louder aftermarket exhausts, even if noise level on warmed up engine is bearable.

Color .. also is subjective thing :) .. i happen to like hot-lava orange of mine best, with black coming second. One may consider color choice though also taking into account what (limited) color choice is for TRD prepainted parts. If i'd get BRZ .. i'd think of world rally blue & gold painted wheels though :)

"Best" is very subjective, and you did good mentioning loudness, as that is subjective thing too. BTW, if you'll tune ECU, then it's possible to ask tuner to tune out "cold-starts", which are usually the ones, that make loudness issues most, especially on louder aftermarket exhausts, even if noise level on warmed up engine is bearable.
Color .. also is subjective thing .. i happen to like hot-lava orange of mine best, with black coming second. One may consider color choice though also taking into account what (limited) color choice is for TRD prepainted parts. If i'd get BRZ .. i'd think of world rally blue & gold painted wheels though
The one ive seen is called INVIDIA GEMINI EXHAUST SYSTEM.

Orange is the best colour, obviously.

Best exhaust is a combination of how loud and how much you want to spend really. The Invidia Q300 (Gemini seems to be their 350Z version) is quiet and high quality, but not cheap.

Orange is the best colour, obviously.
Best exhaust is a combination of how loud and how much you want to spend really. The Invidia Q300 (Gemini seems to be their 350Z version) is quiet and high quality, but not cheap.
I want it so when your reveing it gives a deep sound, but when your cruising on a long journey it doesn't drone.

Ive seen this one INVIDIA GEMINI EXHAUST SYSTEM

BTW, regarding catback upgrades. Take not that 1) there is too little performance gains to be had from catback, mostly it's for sound, for performance you need better catless header + tune; 2) catless header further rises loudness, and some catbacks that may have sounded ok with stock header, might get unbearably loud together with catless header.

I recently put a Cobra resonated on mine. Now it's coked up and settled in I think it's a great compromise. It's obviously noiser than OEM, but that's mostly due to the extra throatiness in the sound. On the motorway you'd be forgiven for thinking it was standard. Cold start up is ridiculously noisy, but I've found that driving off the instant the revs subside after firing up kills the cold start program. Ideally I want it removing longer term though, bet the neighbours aren't best pleased when I leave for work at 6.30am :/

I recently put a Cobra resonated on mine. Now it's coked up and settled in I think it's a great compromise. It's obviously noiser than OEM, but that's mostly due to the extra throatiness in the sound. On the motorway you'd be forgiven for thinking it was standard. Cold start up is ridiculously noisy, but I've found that driving off the instant the revs subside after firing up kills the cold start program. Ideally I want it removing longer term though, bet the neighbours aren't best pleased when I leave for work at 6.30am :/
I was looking at cobra and by looking at the video it look just right for me

BTW, regarding catback upgrades. Take not that 1) there is too little performance gains to be had from catback, mostly it's for sound, for performance you need better catless header + tune; 2) catless header further rises loudness, and some catbacks that may have sounded ok with stock header, might get unbearably loud together with catless header.
At the moment am not too concerned about performance. For me the stock exhaust is lacking that sound.

Maybe in the future I might consider it

Gotta be honest, videos are a useless way to compare. There's too many variables in recorded sound which can drastically alter the tone - I say this as a sound engineer, so have a better understanding than most in this regard. Best way is judge is to attend a meet and listen to a few in person. :) 

Jump on the TD catback group buy, you can get a resonated system which makes it sound nicer, while not being too loud, and sound great with a uel header if you plan on going down that route?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My Perrin resonated is the best exhaust.

Close the thread.

Seriously though, go on YouTube stick your headphones on an go a binge listening to various setups. I disagree with Lowe, sound videos are a great way to figure out what is best for you. I picked my exhaust based on this and I love the way it sounds. The Cobra does should be on your shortlist its got a nice deep soundtrack but doesn't seem too loud.

Imo Cobras don't offer a really deep tone, they do have a nice sound but you mentioned you'd like a deep tone. I picked up an Invidia R400 catback from another forum member and it's just the perfect volume with a real nice deep rumble to it, someone even asked if I had a UEL Manifold. Volume is pretty loud on cold starts as expected but quickly quietens down. I've been using it with a catless front-pipe since I've had it but I imagine it'd have an even deeper done without. If you're local to wiltshire I don't mind meeting up with you so you can have a look/listen :) 

5 minutes ago, GreenSpring said:

Imo Cobras don't offer a really deep tone, they do have a nice sound but you mentioned you'd like a deep tone. I picked up an Invidia R400 catback from another forum member and it's just the perfect volume with a real nice deep rumble to it, someone even asked if I had a UEL Manifold. Volume is pretty loud on cold starts as expected but quickly quietens down. I've been using it with a catless front-pipe since I've had it but I imagine it'd have an even deeper done without. If you're local to wiltshire I don't mind meeting up with you so you can have a look/listen :) 

If you take @GreenSpring up on that offer you'd be welcome to come and listen to my TD resonated catback too, it's the one that @Samsss mentioned :)

With the TD catless manifold installed, the car is already a bit louder than stock.  My advice would be to have that work done first if you ever intend doing it.  I realise now that the stock exhaust is fine.  There is a lovely snarl above 3500rpm (UEL manifold) but for everyday use I wouldn't want it any louder, and there are no power gains to speak of unless you're going forced induction.

5 hours ago, Gt86life said:

Thank all of you for the reply. Ive got a lot to think about.

https://www.invidia-europe.com/toyota/gt-86-br-z-gemini-cat-back-system

If this is the gemini system you're thinking of its the one I had. Pretty brutal cold starts that are definitely loud enough to wake your neighbours, but once the idle has settled its a nice quiet rumble, and its not too loud at constant speeds. Sounds nice when you step on it though ;)

I'd agree to what Lowe says. Youtube vids usually are very bad at giving way of objective comparison & choice of exhaust sound. And not just by tone, even loudness-wise.

Most vids are taken with widely varying recording equipment/recording settings & level/recording methodics AND then there goes on what & how sound is played back. Yes, many aftermarket catbacks sound good and add up to aural pleasure vs stock, so there is high chance for them to be good in real life too .. but to objectively compare them among themselves by those vids to get one that may sound best from all the others? Or even their loudness? Put mic at much closer distance and Q300 or stock, especially during cold start, will sound louder then straight track pipe. Turn recording level differently - same result, even if listened on same equipment.

BEST way to judge both tone and loudness is to actually hear them in person, by eg. going to some clubmeet or trackday and hear setups of others by own ears.

18 hours ago, jimmyjimmyjimmy_ said:

https://www.invidia-europe.com/toyota/gt-86-br-z-gemini-cat-back-system

If this is the gemini system you're thinking of its the one I had. Pretty brutal cold starts that are definitely loud enough to wake your neighbours, but once the idle has settled its a nice quiet rumble, and its not too loud at constant speeds. Sounds nice when you step on it though ;)

Loving it by the way ;)

Imo if I was you I'd pay the premium and buy a Japanese exhaust over custom or U. K made ones. Miltek crack, cobra is just loud nothing else. With companies like HKS blitz etc you get far better quality crafted parts and R&D to back. Also you get a quality sound rather than out right loud. 

Then again it all depends on your budget what look what sound you want. But quality is quality in my eyes. My HKS is perfect for the daily grind with nil issues. 

17 minutes ago, CHOSENMAN007 said:

Imo if I was you I'd pay the premium and buy a Japanese exhaust over custom or U. K made ones. Miltek crack, cobra is just loud nothing else. With companies like HKS blitz etc you get far better quality crafted parts and R&D to back. Also you get a quality sound rather than out right loud. 

Then again it all depends on your budget what look what sound you want. But quality is quality in my eyes. My HKS is perfect for the daily grind with nil issues. 

I would second this. Coming from a history of modifying Honda's, Japanese and even American made exhausts beat the stuff from the UK every single time. Sound, build quality, you name it.