thetyrant

Tein Monosport or SRC owners ?

Hi,

Currently researching next move with suspension and as i already have the Tein EDFC active setup on my Streetflex it makes sense to try and stay with Tein brand if i can find something suitable. Otherwise will go Ohlins probably.

So anyone on here running the Tein Monosport or even SRC setup on there 86/BRZ for road use i welcome any info :)

Ian

Yes i guess although ive read they can be dialled in to be very compliant being 2ways etc, also -40mm is base drop on them but you have can wind them up -20mm same as most others so ride height isnt a real issue, cost is though as they are pricey little buggers!

31 minutes ago, thetyrant said:

Yes i guess although ive read they can be dialled in to be very compliant being 2ways etc, also -40mm is base drop on them but you have can wind them up -20mm same as most others so ride height isnt a real issue, cost is though as they are pricey little buggers!

I thought they were 40mm min lowering as I know they're considerably shortened cases. If you can raise them back to 20mm that's not too bad at all.

Yeah not cheap, before I got my Motons I priced up a set as about £3.5k including springs.

Yes looking on the BRZ spec sheet the SRC will lower minimum of 20mm front and 12.5mm rear, i think ive seen them around £2.5k so not terrible but not cheap although for a 2way setup it isnt bad at all, also ive been in touch with my Ohlins contact also to see what is going on with their kits and strange spring rates etc so interested to see what he says.

3 minutes ago, thetyrant said:

Yes looking on the BRZ spec sheet the SRC will lower minimum of 20mm front and 12.5mm rear, i think ive seen them around £2.5k so not terrible but not cheap although for a 2way setup it isnt bad at all, also ive been in touch with my Ohlins contact also to see what is going on with their kits and strange spring rates etc so interested to see what he says.

The SRC's are priced without springs so that adds to the cost a bit.

Not bad on the lowering front at all then.

I had seen that about springs and looking on Tein UK site they have kit rrp at £2500 including vat and I know from buying some springs a few weeks ago for my Streetflex they were £75 per pair so not bad really, just a shame there is nobody ive seen here in UK running them on road to give feedback on an 86.

I have a customer runs them on an Evo6 trackcar and says they are amazing on circuit but way to harsh on road with springs he has fitted, so not really comparable anyhows.

5 minutes ago, thetyrant said:

I had seen that about springs and looking on Tein UK site they have kit rrp at £2500 including vat and I know from buying some springs a few weeks ago for my Streetflex they were £75 per pair so not bad really, just a shame there is nobody ive seen here in UK running them on road to give feedback on an 86.

I have a customer runs them on an Evo6 trackcar and says they are amazing on circuit but way to harsh on road with springs he has fitted, so not really comparable anyhows.

I'd imagine they'd be fairly similar to my Motons - excellent low speed damping but high speed a little harsh so excellent for track but not so great for the road.

@Rich has Tein Flex A's with edfc which may be worth a try if you're looking for predominantly road use?

Yes its a concern as road use is my main usage, I am intrigued by the Flex A but wonder how much different to my StreetFlex they will be, I know they have the fancy bumpstop but I would rather a kit that doesn't need it to be honest, would be good to see damper dyno of the two to see if base damping is any different but ive not seen any.

I don't ride the bumpstops on mine much, maybe on track, but seldom on the road. They're certainly a bit of a softer catch than a normal rubber stop.

@Deacon  I saw on your post of FT86 that you have had both the GT1 and ZetaR  MeisterR kits and interested in how you found them ?....  the Zeta kits don't interest me as just another far east generic damper but the GT1 kit Jerrick always bangs on about how amazing it is and rival for Ohlins etc, but ive never seen a proper test so wondered what you thought of yours ?

Ian

14 minutes ago, thetyrant said:

@Deacon  I saw on your post of FT86 that you have had both the GT1 and ZetaR  MeisterR kits and interested in how you found them ?....  the Zeta kits don't interest me as just another far east generic damper but the GT1 kit Jerrick always bangs on about how amazing it is and rival for Ohlins etc, but ive never seen a proper test so wondered what you thought of yours ?

Ian

I'll just say that their customer service is excellent and all my money was refunded.

5 hours ago, Deacon said:

I'll just say that their customer service is excellent and all my money was refunded.

Hmm must of been bad if you cant even comment ;)

17 minutes ago, don said:

I can ditto that. 

The difference between Flex A and the StreetFlex are worlds apart from my experience.

So have you tried the Meisters and returned them as well?....intriguing :)

What you say is main thing you found different between the StreetFlex and Flex A ?

Ian 

53 minutes ago, don said:

That is correct. I must say that I've only ever been out in a car with the Flex A's and haven't owned them. I found the Flex A's to be a lot more complaint on the road. With the street flex it felt like i was constantly riding on the bump stops riding -30mm. Damping adjustment made no difference. So quite horrible to actually use on the road. I took them on track and they weren't any better. 

I see so how weird that nobody wants to comment on Meisters, i guess silence tells the story but it doesnt help people looking who may buy them and then have issues.

I dont find the StreetFlex that bad really and certainly not as bad as your experience, track and smooth to medium bumpy roads and they are fine once you get damping dialled in, its only on the really bad B'roads around me where i feel they struggle to get things smoothed out,  much like most cheaper end dampers where the valving just isnt as advanced as more expensive setups, it would be interesting to try a Flex A car at some point for comparison though.

10 minutes ago, thetyrant said:

I dont find the StreetFlex that bad really and certainly not as bad as your experience, track and smooth to medium bumpy roads and they are fine once you get damping dialled in, its only on the really bad B'roads around me where i feel they struggle to get things smoothed out,  much like most cheaper end dampers where the valving just isnt as advanced as more expensive setups, it would be interesting to try a Flex A car at some point for comparison though.

If you find the Street Flex ok you should definitely try the Flex A's - they're a considerable step up in ride quality.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with NigelR32's build but on his road car he had both the original ohlins kit and the flex A's and said he thought the flex A's were better for road use.

Just now, Cerastes said:

Interesting thread... 

What about the HKS Hipermax 4 GT?

Or better yet, how about the BC models? Both Fensport and Tuning developments use them on their cars? so can't be that bad?

HKS GT's have weird spring rates.

BC are standard, cheap Taiwanese dampers. Fine for general use if a bit harsh but there are better options out there 👍

All imho of course.