KobayashiMaru

Parking Sensors

Guessing these are an option that's fitted at the dealer? Don't see many 86's with them, although my brothers does. Been looking at getting one for myself and I keep dismissing the ones without sensors as where I park it's always parallel and a tight space and while it's not essential it is a nice to have.  But then again some have had cameras fitted? How much is it to retrofit either sensors or a camera later on?

Sensors are dealer fit option. Its possible you could get them to be fitted later on for similar cost, worth asking the dealer. The cameras are simple enough to fit, there's a few DIYs about. Kits can be found on eBay or Fensport do one.

id go for factory sensors as retrofitting can be a nightmare and they're never ever perfect ive found. Look at the pictures and you can see if they have rev sensors or not. Most do but dealers don't list it. Most places charge like 150-200 for a camera and 2-450 for after market parking sensors from my experianence. OEM are usually more.

I don't think that there are any "factory" sensors - these were a dealer fit when the cars were new. According to MyToyota, there is an entry for "sublet repair paint sensors" before my car was delivered to the first owner, so I assume that most dealers probably didn't even do the work themselves but just passed it out to their local body shop.

I have a feeling that they cost about £350 as an option - well worth it, as a single bump into a low bollard or wall could be more than that to repair.

It's dealer fit, my car was in stock in the UK and was fitted by the dealer on pickup. As mentioned above replacing the rear bumper would probably cost more than £300 and it speeds up reverse parking. Spec even had them on the front of his.

9 hours ago, Steeps said:

It's dealer fit, my car was in stock in the UK and was fitted by the dealer on pickup. As mentioned above replacing the rear bumper would probably cost more than £300 and it speeds up reverse parking. Spec even had them on the front of his.

The front ones aren't Toyota though, and also work on track as I/we found out when Adrian took me out in his car :D

3 hours ago, Church said:

Camera does better on easing reverse parking.

I think it's a matter of preference. I prefer sensors over a camera, because I like to use my side mirrors when reversing and a camera is distracting. 

Lauren: but i prefer camera because it lets to get within 1-2cm w/o contact. Frequency of beeping changes usually doesn't help to get that precise/close vs actually seeing from above both bumpers. Yes, i still use side mirrors too, but for rough steering/navigating in spot, not for moving back as close as possible. And looking in camera or mirrors .. it's just the same as glancing in different mirrors, just now including screen in list of mirrors, one is glancing at in sequence, too.

I had a camera fitted. It switches on when you select reverse but you can also manually turn it on while in a forward gear, which is fun on track days:-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I bought a GT86 a few months ago. My village has no street lights and reversing at night in my last Toyota Avensis in the pitch black was a nightmare. It had a camera but it was hopeless in the dark.
I had aftermarket rear sensors fitted. Had the proper Toyota ones fitted by Toyota (There are cheaper options out there and DIY).
Not cheap, £229.17. but they are excellent.
Front ones are available on some Toyota models but not I was told on the 86.

Not a fan of the sensors, much prefer a camera as it's more reassuring to see what I'm approaching.  Worth noting that you can get parking sensors that don't require drilling, it's an internal strip that you stick into your bumper which is what I would go for if I wanted sensors as I find the round sensors that you need to drill to fit look horrible.

1 hour ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

I have a camera and Janes' car has the sensors , can the sensors be made more precise? As at the moment they seem to be picking everything up.

For me I'd go camera every single time.

my sensors are okay I find but i rarely use them as i can generally just see where im going so they d only be useful if i wanted to really squeeze in close or if a pole jumped out of nowhere. On my TTS i had front sensors and a camera fitted but never used either not to mention the camera and sensors while reversing usually cut out the radio and you miss vital plot points! This is something I do not miss. Also a camera doesn't give a full or incredibly reliable picture so it should be used sparingly and dont trust it too much! Many people and companies advise to have both if having a camera as at some angles the camera might betray you!

.. or when backing out when parallel parking those last cm till next car's bumper w/o making contact. Even after i had already driven this car for few months, still had difficulties of estimating distance left by look through rear window. High trunk line, way above bonnet of most cars, didn't help either. When looking like it should be almost touching, there were still 30-40cm left. It was much easier to gauge distance left in hatchback i've driven before this.

Well, camera solved problem. Now i can get even within 2cm to next car :).

Where in the rear is the camera fitted and where more importantly is the wiring into the car? Pictures would be great to see as considering this option to my giallo