GT86Bob

Too smokey? Or normal?

You're probably going to ask for a video but let's try without one.... it's late and I'm lazy...

My car has done about 22,000 miles. On a cold day when I can more clearly see the exhaust smoke in my mirrors, it seems to me I'm producing more than other cars in the traffic jam I'm always in.  I don't notice anything when I'm moving quickly just when i'm idling. Is this common for the flat four or is it something to worry about or do you need a video? 

Bob

I can't comment on the stock exhaust system as I had mine changed in the summer so never experienced cold days with it.

But I have noticed mine does produce quite a bit compared to other cars in the recent cold spell too until the engine is up to normal operating temp. I've just put it down our cars having bigger exhaust piping / exits and aren't angled downwards or hidden under bumpers like most cars on the road. (Not sure if this is actually correct as my mechanical knowledge is pretty limited).

I think mine might be a bit more prominent too as I've removed the 2nd cat. Cold starts on icy mornings produce quite a big cloud :P

I don't think its anything to worry about, mine went in for MOT at RRG today and passed with flying colours.

Thought I'd chime in with this, I've been checking my coolant and oil constantly and vigilantly and nothing seems to be escaping however it seems like the GT is steam engined rather than anything else because even after bringing it to operating temperature and driving a couple of miles it still releases visible vapours 'round the back!

I just put it down to it being a flat four and a sports exhaust system...

Fuel consumption hangs around 29mpg which isn't anything out of ordinary, checked upon coming back home just now and after around 10miles it was still breathing out some vapour but definitely considerably less than before, I shall give it a drive around next weekend and see what's going on then, the exhaust tip seems clean however...😁 (Indicating a lack of rich mixture)

90AB4CD8-46C5-4492-82A2-7151BF760669.JPG

Considering it's a high strung engine, it's guna run a lil hotter than most other cars, plus the bigger exhaust pipes mean more of it will pour out.  So it's shouldn't really be, how much smoke your car gives off compared to other cars, it'll have to be compared to other sports cars with big exhausts etc.

Ok it does sound a little more logical when you put it this way, having had a BMW Mini Cooper before - any smoke from the exhaust or anywhere from the car in that matter just sounds like money to be spent to me 😂