chris_9011

Squeaky brakes

Driven the car around for a couple of days now, and have noticed that the brakes are pretty squeaky when low load is pressed on them, doesn't when hard braking though... is this a normal trait of the GT86, or is it something I should investigate further? It is due to go for a full service at Toyota in a couple of weeks so should I mention it to them then?

Mine had glazed which didn't help. Toyota were happy to have a look but they just basically take the top surface off the pad and re grease the backs and put them back in.came back in a week though. Changed to dba discs with ferrodo pads. Still squeals!

My Cosworth pads squeal on the back, though not as badly as the stock pads. PFC pads with stoptech discs on the front don't (I suspect the slotted discs help there).

Embrace it, pretend you are driving a racing car ;)

Although it can get very embarrassing when you are coming up to some lights and you lightly press the brake and people walking around have to cover their ears :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Although it can get very embarrassing when you are coming up to some lights and you lightly press the brake and people walking around have to cover their ears :lol: 

Exactly my thinking... having a gorgeous looking car only to have it ruined by an embarrassing squeak :lol:

5 hours ago, chris_9011 said:

thanks for the reply... so it's a case of just putting up with it then :unsure:

Seriously just change the pads if it's an issue. I've run Stoptech pads for 18 months. They hardly ever squeak. You can opt for a softer pad, but your dealer would need to get it in, but it won't take the abuse as well as the stock pads. 

On 24/01/2017 at 7:01 PM, Lauren said:

Seriously just change the pads if it's an issue. I've run Stoptech pads for 18 months. They hardly ever squeak. You can opt for a softer pad, but your dealer would need to get it in, but it won't take the abuse as well as the stock pads. 

I'll get them changed over at some point then... it does bug me a little I must admit

Use then hard, I found that after a track day or some real abuse on the back roads, they quieten down for a few weeks. I also found they'd go quiet a bit after washing the car.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Apologies for thread revival - but I'm having this same issue, and it's driving me mad (admittedly that's because right now it's combined with a very loud exhaust, vibrating numberplate and a squeaky door seal!)!

I like to drive with window down, and I don't want constant squealing. I did a several brisk stops from 60mph last week which stopped it for a 30 miles or so, but now its back.

So if I get the newer "softer" pads from my local dealer, they will definitely be silent? Is there a product number I can quote? Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Adamd said:

Just rang Huddersfield Toyota, they know nothing about softer pads and only have the originals as an option!

There is an alternative pad available for the fronts which is of less durable compound (softer)and there is a technical bulletin on this issue but only for front brakes.I couldn't confirm wether it is successful or not as I have never fitted them.

1 hour ago, Adamd said:

Just rang Huddersfield Toyota, they know nothing about softer pads and only have the originals as an option!

Buy some Stoptechs instead?

34 minutes ago, Paul said:

Buy some Stoptechs instead?

Yeah I just finished reading Lauren's thread about how well hers have performed. I think I will.

In the box of parts that came with the car, I have some D-Speed G2 pads, which I cannot find anything about that is not in Japanese! Shame, they are brand new and boxed.

Yeah, they've been good to be fair. Had them on for 32,000 miles, two sprint seasons a few track days and a trip round the Alps and back. They're totally dead after the last track day I did at Oulton two weeks ago, but I suspect the pad is getting a bit thin on material. 

So I'm sticking on some new discs and pads tomorrow morning, Project Mu HC800 pads this time. Will see how I get on. :)

I can only take about road performance but they stop well but have a more gradual bite than OEM which I initially thought was reduced stopping power-it isn't. It actually allows you to have more control in applying partial brake, less binary. It is a desirable trait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk