surrey86

Reducing engine oil temperatures on track

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

How do you mean export from RTI section? I normally start logging from RTI and then just copy the log file off my phone.

I normally export it from the app coz I can't be bothered getting a cable to copy it (don't have a file manager app either), but copying it direct probably works fine :D

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Anyone happen to know what the warranty implications of fitting an oil cooler are?

I think if your engine detonates the implication is you'd be well advised to recover the car home and remove the cooler. Probably wouldn't mind otherwise.

16 hours ago, Tareim said:

@Riceburner could probably tell you the official line on it

Obviously it would only become an issue in engine failure instances, and even then it would be a case of proving that the cooler was the cause of the damage.

There is no black & white policy with Toyota Warranty. 

Remaps & forced induction I would suggest as voiding the engine warranty in my opinion.Even then it could be open to discussion.

6 hours ago, Riceburner said:

Obviously it would only become an issue in engine failure instances, and even then it would be a case of proving that the cooler was the cause of the damage.

There is no black & white policy with Toyota Warranty. 

Remaps & forced induction I would suggest as voiding the engine warranty in my opinion.Even then it could be open to discussion.

it's a shame they say 5 years but it seems a bit hit and miss at times

On 03/02/2017 at 5:06 PM, nikndel said:

it's a shame they say 5 years but it seems a bit hit and miss at times

It's a good policy Nick imo as it covers manufacturers defects for 5 years rather than state which components are covered and which are not.

8 hours ago, Riceburner said:

It's a good policy Nick imo as it covers manufacturers defects for 5 years rather than state which components are covered and which are not.

After owning my car for 4 years and watching people's attempts to get faults rectified it seems like you always offer a good service while others are a struggle to deal with I didn't expect every nut and bolt to be covered but the only time I have got issues resolved is when I have taken mine back and moaned all the time however to be fair my last 2 visits have been my most productive since ownership so I am going into the end of my warranty period with my car roughly where I want it to be

Bringing this thread back a bit with an update.

I had my oil pressure and temperature gauge fitted before I had my cooler fitted to decide if I should go ahead with the cooler or not. I also had the oil changed to Millers Nanotech 0W30. At Bedford I was easily seeing temperatures hitting 120 within about 3 laps (including a warm up lap) so I decided I would go ahead with the cooler fitting. Temperature readings are taken from the sump.

The cooler fitting was a bit of a ballache for various reasons. @Ade had mentioned that the oil lines are very tight with the airbox and he was spot on. Rogue had to do some tweeks to get everything sitting properly. The sandwich plate 'bolt' is also very tight to the fuel hard lines (again as @Ade mentioned earlier) although doesn't appear to rub. This may be because of the airbox mods rogue made though and without having them this could definitely be an issue. I have some zircotec metal heat protection 'film' which I am going to stick onto the hard line to minimise any chance of rubbing damage too.

The other installation issue came from the brackets Hel supply. They simply don't work for mounting the kit on the 86. Rogue custom fabricated some brackets for the cooler and it sits pretty much in the centre of the bumper now (they basically copied the install position, etc of their race cars).

I don't have logs of data so much of this relies on my memory but, from the numbers I've seen on the gauge pre and post cooler, it hasn't made a massive difference to the temperatures in 'normal' driving. There is no discernible drop in oil pressure and the temps seem to be broadly similar. It does take a little longer to warm up though. However, on A roads and the motorway in clear air you can see the temperature leveling off and even dropping to stay around the 95-105 range so I would imagine that the benefits will be quite noticeable on track.

On 9/9/2017 at 8:56 PM, Deacon said:

Bringing this thread back a bit with an update.

I had my oil pressure and temperature gauge fitted before I had my cooler fitted to decide if I should go ahead with the cooler or not. I also had the oil changed to Millers Nanotech 0W30. At Bedford I was easily seeing temperatures hitting 120 within about 3 laps (including a warm up lap) so I decided I would go ahead with the cooler fitting. Temperature readings are taken from the sump.

The cooler fitting was a bit of a ballache for various reasons. @Ade had mentioned that the oil lines are very tight with the airbox and he was spot on. Rogue had to do some tweeks to get everything sitting properly. The sandwich plate 'bolt' is also very tight to the fuel hard lines (again as @Ade mentioned earlier) although doesn't appear to rub. This may be because of the airbox mods rogue made though and without having them this could definitely be an issue. I have some zircotec metal heat protection 'film' which I am going to stick onto the hard line to minimise any chance of rubbing damage too.

The other installation issue came from the brackets Hel supply. They simply don't work for mounting the kit on the 86. Rogue custom fabricated some brackets for the cooler and it sits pretty much in the centre of the bumper now (they basically copied the install position, etc of their race cars).

I don't have logs of data so much of this relies on my memory but, from the numbers I've seen on the gauge pre and post cooler, it hasn't made a massive difference to the temperatures in 'normal' driving. There is no discernible drop in oil pressure and the temps seem to be broadly similar. It does take a little longer to warm up though. However, on A roads and the motorway in clear air you can see the temperature leveling off and even dropping to stay around the 95-105 range so I would imagine that the benefits will be quite noticeable on track.

Thanks for the mentions. You arent the 1st person I have warned about the clearance issue with the Mocal sandwich plate. I ended up filing down the bolt to get clearance to the GDI line where it was rubbing. On the airbox I put a bit of foam but it quickly wore though as the mocal plate can move about and it rotated the lines back against the airbox.

Your oil temp numbers are higher than Mine (before I changed it out to the Mocal Laminova) which is measured post cooler. I measured around 80-85C when cursing at a constant 70mph, in reality its a bit higher as who does that in these cars? :lol:. Never saw more than 110C on track either.  

It was a rather large radiator though. Whats the spec of your radiator and what temp is the Tstat in the sandwich plate? 

offtopic

I'm sometimes missing ease of work with old cars/engines due huge open space under bonnet around smallish engine. Modern cars seem designed like lego, to use all available space, and when installing multiple aftermarket parts from different vendors, clearance issues are frequent guest. Or even worse, sometimes part alone needs replacement or removal of stock parts, eg. some oil cooling solutions - MY2017 MT airbox switch to older (/AT) one, or eg. airducts - fogs & washing liquid tank removal or replacing with smaller and so on ..

When for bulb replacement one needs to rise car/remove wheel/arch liner, it seems to me that something somewhere sometime has gone wrong :). Ours are not the worst clearance-wise (though reading like official sparkplug replacement procedure involves lifting engine ..), but terror that is in some modern french cars, seemed a bit excessive.

3 hours ago, Ade said:

Thanks for the mentions. You arent the 1st person I have warned about the clearance issue with the Mocal sandwich plate. I ended up filing down the bolt to get clearance to the GDI line where it was rubbing. 

I may also fit the mocal sandwich plate spacer. I just need to check the measurements to ensure this will give the hard-line plenty of clearance.

19 minutes ago, Deacon said:

It's a 19 row cooler and 80° tstat

Mine was a 19row setrab 330mm STD619

2 minutes ago, Deacon said:

I may also fit the mocal sandwich plate spacer. I just need to check the measurements to ensure this will give the hard-line plenty of clearance.

Mine was pressing quite hard on it until I filed it down

Rubbing

7 minutes ago, Ade said: Mine was a 19row setrab 330mm STD619

Mine was pressing quite hard on it until I filed it down

36777500651_ea30eb0959_b.jpg

That's the filled down picture?

Yes. Before that it was pushing in it. No gap at all.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk