surrey86

Reducing engine oil temperatures on track

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm hoping/aiming for 85c+ for daily driving/coasting on motorway, ideally closer to 90c if possible. Might actually do some research before fitting my oil cooler... blasted impulse buys!

It may well be that the cooler just needs covering for road use and uncovering for track. I know that's what some of the US track users do although a lot of them don't run the thermostat plates.

4 hours ago, Ade said: I think you'll struggle to maintain 95C steady state but high 80s would be my guess.

Should be fairly close to coolant temperature, which is around 90C with the stock thermostat.

Yes but the coolant pipe the laminova is spliced into is at the exit of the radiator. I've never measured it myself but it may be cooler than the point where the sensor measures it.

If the water coming out the radiator is indeed 90C then the oil should be above that.

I can try measuring it with an IR meter when I get a chance.

9 minutes ago, Deacon said:

It may well be that the cooler just needs covering for road use and uncovering for track. I know that's what some of the US track users do although a lot of them don't run the thermostat plates.

Yea that's a plan, will think about places to put the rad as well so lessen the cooling if needed. Got other [potential] oil issues anyway :P 

9 minutes ago, Mike said: I'm hoping/aiming for 85c+ for daily driving/coasting on motorway, ideally closer to 90c if possible. Might actually do some research before fitting my oil cooler... blasted impulse buys!

I thought about doing that, but it means bumper off for where I had it mounted.

If you plan staying N/A you can get away with putting the oil cooler in front of the coolant radiator, making it easy access.

9 minutes ago, Ade said:

I thought about doing that, but it means bumper off for where I had it mounted.

If you plan staying N/A you can get away with putting the oil cooler in front of the coolant radiator, making it easy access.

That's my plan I think. I was looking at LFA's old car and the placement of his which is in front of the radiator but off to the side (still within the bumper cutout though). That seemed like a decent placement.

8 minutes ago, Deacon said:

That's my plan I think. I was looking at LFA's old car and the placement of his which is in front of the radiator but off to the side (still within the bumper cutout though). That seemed like a decent placement.

LFA's car oil cooler was tucked back behind the bumper with a Duct directing oil to the cooler , this was done to keep the charger cooler rad clear.

2 minutes ago, Mark@Abbey M/S said:

LFA's car oil cooler was tucked back behind the bumper with a Duct directing oil to the cooler , this was done to keep the charger cooler rad clear.

I was looking at it where it's for sale (Wolverhampton Subaru) - not sure if someone moved it since then but it was definitely in the bumper cut out

25 minutes ago, Ade said:

Yes but the coolant pipe the laminova is spliced into is at the exit of the radiator. I've never measured it myself but it may be cooler than the point where the sensor measures it.

If the water coming out the radiator is indeed 90C then the oil should be above that.

Incidentally is yours bolted in at all, or just held in place by the oil/water lines?

25 minutes ago, Ade said: Yes but the coolant pipe the laminova is spliced into is at the exit of the radiator. I've never measured it myself but it may be cooler than the point where the sensor measures it.

Incidentally is yours bolted in at all, or just held in place by the oil/water lines?

Just held in place with the water lines. You need some flex for when the engine moves. If you bolted the laminova there would be no room for flex as there is only a small amount of pipe at each end.

I don't know the size of these coolers but is there a possibility of locating it by the fender garnish and turning that into a functional vent for the cooler? (been awhile since I've looked at the engine bay to know if that is possible at all)

Seen few mods cutting fenders and modding garnish's grill to make them functional (in most of those BRZ ones were used though as with visually more opened area to change to grill). None of those mods involved placing oil cooler there, it was more in general for "reduce a bit under bonnet temps / pressure to add a bit downforce, like with hood grilles but to a bit lesser extent". Placing O2A cooler there will have downside of not being forcibly cooled by main rad's fan though, depending a lot on airflow speed from vehicle's speed, reducing effectiveness of it.

On 17/01/2017 at 10:34 AM, Mike said:

Daily driving (not motorway) I see about 86/87c, extended driving and motorway, highest I've seen is low 90s. Track is the only time I see it >100C

Fired up torque for some more info this morning, I managed a peak of 101C accelerating off a roundabout on the A34. It was over 90C just sitting in traffic.

@Mike Was yours measured before you had a manifold fitted? Because I'm definitely seeing some high temps.

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

Fired up torque for some more info this morning, I managed a peak of 101C accelerating off a roundabout on the A34. It was over 90C just sitting in traffic.

@Mike Was yours measured before you had a manifold fitted? Because I'm definitely seeing some high temps.

My car when bone stock was the same. In the summer it would hover in the low 100s. So with temps at the moment being 20C cooler, it is not surprising that oil temps are a little lower.

I dont think your manifold has much affect on oil temp unless stuck in traffic for long periods of time. At speed I would think the air flow will be enough to minimise heat transfer by convection.

44 minutes ago, Rich said:

All temp related stuff is afterwards. Don't think it's hit over 100c on road yet but I don't particularly monitor it. The 70 mile run log was for mine/Jeff/Will's purpose to get an idea of daily temps before an oil cooler is fitted. Looking at your (rather fancy) graph, my intake temps are higher, I only see them close to ambient (closing being within 2 or 3c) when there's clear air in front and doing 40mph+. I've seen the intake temp hit 40c+ but that was sat stationary for 5mins or so clearing a CEL before leaving Asda one night so car was still kinda warm from the drive there.

My intake is up at 30C+ when in traffic, the graph I posted didn't have too much idling. I'm planning to do more logging over the next week so I have a better idea of temps.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

My intake is up at 30C+ when in traffic, the graph I posted didn't have too much idling. I'm planning to do more logging over the next week so I have a better idea of temps.

Are you using torque for your logging @Rich?

Intake temps will go up in traffic due to heat soak in the engine bay. I think intake is measured at the MAF on your cars which is right above the exhaust manifold, so expect a lot of convection heat transfer.  

If you guys are using torque, are we all using the same formula?  This is the one I use:

OBD2 Mode and PID: 2101
Minimum Value: -40
Maximum Value: 215 (this is just the maximum that this location can support, which does not mean the sensor can read that high)
Scale factor: x1
Unit type: C
Equation: AC-40 (no space between A and C; "AC" is the location within the response)
OBD Header: 7E0 (Auto also works, but seems to take longer)

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

It's not surprising. The MAF sensor and intake is sat directly above the radiator. IATs at idle or in traffic are largely irrelevant. The stock intake help in keeping convection heat down, aftermarket ones will suffer worse IAT readings.

32 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Are you using torque for your logging @Rich?

Yes. Currently set to log once per second.

25 minutes ago, Ade said:

Intake temps will go up in traffic due to heat soak in the engine bay. I think intake is measured at the MAF on your cars which is right above the exhaust manifold, so expect a lot of convection heat transfer.  

If you guys are using torque, are we all using the same formula?  This is the one I use:

OBD2 Mode and PID: 2101
Minimum Value: -40
Maximum Value: 215 (this is just the maximum that this location can support, which does not mean the sensor can read that high)
Scale factor: x1
Unit type: C
Equation: AC-40 (no space between A and C; "AC" is the location within the response)
OBD Header: 7E0 (Auto also works, but seems to take longer)

I'm not too worried about my intake temps - they drop right down as soon as the car gets moving. I've seen over 50C when parked in the paddock before.

I'm using the same formula as you Ade.

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yes. Currently set to log once per second.

I'm not too worried about my intake temps - they drop right down as soon as the car gets moving. I've seen over 50C when parked in the paddock before.

I'm using the same formula as you Ade.

I had mine set to 0.1s but graphing that is a bit of an issue :D Not bothered with high intake temps when stopped, was more bothered with the higher ones when moving, might log it on the way home and see what's what.

Same formula as Ade for oil temp as well...

36 minutes ago, Deacon said:

Which obd port tool do you use @Rich?

A generic ebay one, it's blue. I wired a switch into the side of it so I can turn it off and on without having to pull it from the port.

I might start logging at 0.5s.

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

I might start logging at 0.5s.

If you do, and intend on using the data, you have to export it from the real time information section otherwise it's only every second regardless of what you tell it to do

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

If you do, and intend on using the data, you have to export it from the real time information section otherwise it's only every second regardless of what you tell it to do

How do you mean export from RTI section? I normally start logging from RTI and then just copy the log file off my phone.