Lowe

GT86 Snow driving - hints please!

OK, so tomorrow I pick up my GT86. It's coming from a dealership up north just outside of Blackburn, and the likelihood is it'll be snowy. I'll be sticking to main roads and motorway to get back to Newcastle Under Lyme, but obviously at some point I'll have to get on the smaller roads and to make matters worse I live at the top of a hill. From memory the car had Primacy's on the front, but had newish Bridgestone Turanza (sp?) on the back. I'm not going to be able to get winter tyres on it tomorrow so clearly will just have to be careful. I'll be imagining there's an egg under the throttle obviously, but beyond that do any of the more experienced of you out there have any hints for me? I don't want to bin her on the first day! :)

You'll find it will go nowhere and spin on the spot unless you turn traction control off, also make sure you scrape your drivers window thoroughly before opening the door otherwise you will end up with a window which doesn't go up properly. Sure there's a reset but it makes more sense to prevent it from cutting out to begin with. If it's snowy it's unlikely you will get up the hill :P 

35 minutes ago, Lowe said:

I'm guessing traction control is one of the buttons on the centre console?

Might have to leave the car at the bottom of the hill and walk :lol:

Yes there's a VSC and TRC button, TRC will need to be held for 3 seconds to turn it fully off otherwise it will only be off under 30mph (which actually should be fine if you're just trying to get out of a rut)

Primacy HP's are simply awful in cold+wet conditions. Since those are on the front, you need to be wary of understeer. The Turanzas sound like a middle-of-the-road tyre, hopefully they will grip a little better! My thoughts:

1. Traction control off button is back left of gearstick, and re-enables above 29 mph, but you can disable it again when you go slower.
  2. GT86/BRZs communicate well when grip is short, so you shouldn't be surprised by the conditions. Pay attention to steering feel as a barometer of grip available. You should feel an exaggerated sense of peril compared with family cars, which should keep you from doing anything silly. The car is brilliantly set up to dance on the limit of grip.
  3. VSC is quite conservative - the car will neuter power if the wheels spin, and it will try to compensate for understeer. It's bad when you're driving sportily, but safe under marginal conditions. On sheet ice, you're on your own.
  4. Throttle control is pretty sharp, so be gentle.
  5. If traction fails entirely, putting weight in the boot can help, especially sitting a couple of dudes on the lip. Watch out for steeply cambered streets as the rear will slither toward the kerbs if the wheels spin.
  6. Snow socks can be had for about £40, but their use is very limited. Some bits of cardboard or fabric might suffice for getting you out of a rut
  7. Pack a shovel in the boot

I'm in the northwest and the snow is pretty minimal up here. You shouldn't have a problem - I was able to drive to work without issues, it's more wet roads than full on snow conditions.

Really appreciate that insight Nerdstrike. Will take some cardboard and a shovel just in case. Been looking at the traffic cameras and it appears it's not too bad today - where I live it was completely white over and a couple of inches thick so I might be alright. Cross fingers for me peeps!

You'll be fine. Sport mode in normal driving. If there's a lot of snow, turn everything off as otherwise you'll get nowhere. Hope you picked it up okay. All the snow is gone now though. 

23 minutes ago, shiftspark said:

I was in Colne this morning and couldnt get my car up a small incline so had to park up the road.Theres snow on the hills but most of the roads are totally clear.Youll be fine.

That's where the car is haha! Vantage Toyota, Colne. :)

Looks like most of the snow has gone around us too, so should be OK. Just sorted insurance and whatnot, can't wait to pick her up tomorrow!

Had my first snow drive in the 86 yesterday.

1. Struggled to reverse off my slopped drive even with Traction control off

2. Slowly progressed down our hill, tested brakes before bottom. They locked. Slid at very low speed for a fair distance nearly hitting a parked car

3. Sliding built up a bit of snow in front of the tyres so then couldn't get moving down the hill again until I wheel spun the snow out of the way.

In summary, it was entertaining considering only half an inch of snow. I have a lot of snow driving experience (worked in Finland for a winter) but this was my first attempt with RWD. In heavy snow it will be staying on the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I got her home yesterday with no issues. Snow held off and whilst it was wet, it was actually fairly sunny. Still took it easy on the way home, just cruised in the inside lane and was surprised when I got just over 47 to the gallon as an average across the 80 or so miles! 

IMG_1818.JPG

Went out on mine in the snow the other day. Brilliant fun. And that was with winter tyres on. Biggest issue at low speed is the sharp throttle, but as others have said you know exactly what it's doing so it's not going to get too lairy.

Wouldn't have fancied it on the Michelins though.

One thought was just how treacherous British conditions are - the snow/ice/slush combo you get here is a world apart from what you get in properly cold countries. Driving on snow in the Alps was a breeze by comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty good at hyper miling cars, I spend a lot of time on the M6. The journey home had a fair few 50mph sections which obviously help, but I was up to about 43mpg by then anyway. Gentle throttle and anticipation is the key, along with trying to make the most of downhill sections whilst slipstreaming when going up. I reckon I'll be able to crack 50mpg with a bit more getting used to the car.